Effect Audio cables thread
Feb 25, 2019 at 8:43 AM Post #3,331 of 7,919
I just handed over my review sample of Leo II 4wire to Eric/SY at the CanJam NYC (after comparing it to 8wire), and called it a day :D

Feb 25, 2019 at 11:34 AM Post #3,333 of 7,919
Thanks for the input! I was wondering which cable you preferred more with the fourte?

IMHO, the cables will not drastically change the sound, they are there to fine tune, to refine the sound. Fourte is a brighter tuned IEM where I'm in a constant search of something warmer to pair it up with (both source and cable). It's just a matter of a personal taste, but for me I'm still trying to find the warmest cable to get the job done (currently using it with Redcore). And that puts me back to square 1 where at some point you reach a limit of how much fine tuning you can do because you realize the IEM itself is not your cup of tea. So, that's my story :wink:

Mar 1, 2019 at 4:09 PM Post #3,335 of 7,919
Have anyone receive The Origin cable yet? If so I'm curious if they're flexible and have the Shrink hook.
I have a prototype and while it differs a bit from the final cable, I can say that it is very flexible and comfortable. It seems to just disappear when I use it.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2019 at 10:50 PM Post #3,336 of 7,919
... Meanwhile some updates coming :
@Deezel177 , @twister6 , @marcusd , @WayneWoondirts has something special for you guys! :fire::fire::fire:

And indeed, it is something special :wink:

When I attended CanJam NYC 2 weeks ago, I had a chance to hear Sy's own Leo II 8wire (w/black insulation) next to my review sample of Leo II 4wire. It was a nice teaser to take some notes for comparison. I gave Eric/Sy my Leo II 4wire to take back home for 8wire upgrade, and yesterday received the 8wire version. Here are some eyecandy shots:

ea_leo_II-8wire-01.jpg ea_leo_II-8wire-02.jpg ea_leo_II-8wire-03.jpg ea_leo_II-8wire-04.jpg ea_leo_II-8wire-05.jpg ea_leo_II-8wire-07.jpg

It's hard to go by memory, thus I do appreciate being able to do a/b comparison at the show. Also, being intimately familiar with U18t + Leo II 4wire pair up sound, I can confirm that I'm still hearing the same sound change (4wire to 8wire) as I did at the show with U18t and LPGT, more body in lower mids and stronger mid-bass punch while upper mids/treble sounds very similar. Also, I feel the perception of the sound depth has improved, with soundstage now being more holographic.

For the reference, 4-wire Horus braiding was very similar in thickness to 4-wire Leo II. So, I took a picture of 8-wire Leo II next to 4-wire Horus below, as well as included the picture from CJ NYC of 4-wire Leo II next to 8-wire Leo II (Sy's cable). Bottom line, the new 8-wire braiding is tighter and overall thickness didn't increase by too much, cable still feels pliable, ergonomic, and comfortable to wear with IEMs while walking around. I also like how the braiding after the splitter becomes twisted inside of the pre-shaped earhook heatshrink; nice transition effect since you can't see that transparent heatshrink tube, and it makes cable feel more comfortable sitting over the ear.

effect_audio_leo2-4-8wire-02.jpg ea_leo_II-8wire-06.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2019 at 3:13 AM Post #3,337 of 7,919
And indeed, it is something special :wink:

When I attended CanJam NYC 2 weeks ago, I had a chance to hear Sy's own Leo II 8wire (w/black insulation) next to my review sample of Leo II 4wire. It was a nice teaser to take some notes for comparison. I gave Eric/Sy my Leo II 4wire to take back home for 8wire upgrade, and yesterday received the 8wire version. Here are some eyecandy shots:

It's hard to go by memory, thus I do appreciate being able to do a/b comparison at the show. Also, being intimately familiar with U18t + Leo II 4wire pair up sound, I can confirm that I'm still hearing the same sound change (4wire to 8wire) as I did at the show with U18t and LPGT, more body in lower mids and stronger mid-bass punch while upper mids/treble sounds very similar. Also, I feel the perception of the sound depth has improved, with soundstage now being more holographic.

For the reference, 4-wire Horus braiding was very similar in thickness to 4-wire Leo II. So, I took a picture of 8-wire Leo II next to 4-wire Horus below, as well as included the picture from CJ NYC of 4-wire Leo II next to 8-wire Leo II (Sy's cable). Bottom line, the new 8-wire braiding is tighter and overall thickness didn't increase by too much, cable still feels pliable, ergonomic, and comfortable to wear with IEMs while walking around. I also like how the braiding after the splitter becomes twisted inside of the pre-shaped earhook heatshrink; nice transition effect since you can't see that transparent heatshrink tube, and it makes cable feel more comfortable sitting over the ear.

Wow, that was fast! Looks great Alex! :ksc75smile:

Mar 2, 2019 at 3:17 PM Post #3,338 of 7,919
All I have to say to that is: UP-GRADE PRO-GRAM! UP-GRADE PRO-GRAM!

Mar 3, 2019 at 4:47 AM Post #3,340 of 7,919
8B38274E-93F8-412C-A721-4F2B0E60439A.jpeg
2305A7AD-7A53-4B9A-A172-A6A961D63268.jpeg
F9749BC0-FF07-4DD9-A48F-7C1EAADD1337.jpeg
FD8565C1-192D-49C1-956D-DC479F55AB44.jpeg
3FC44F33-DDB0-4380-B31D-ED1429B2740F.jpeg
4A2B1C64-39F4-454A-8FF9-4579F23AECEC.jpeg

Mar 3, 2019 at 5:14 AM Post #3,341 of 7,919
This nice package arrived at my former office, courtesy of Eric’s kindness, a couple of weeks ago. :)

I’ve been a bit tied up since then finishing up at my former company, and clearing leave and traveling before I start at my new gig. I however managed to get about 20ish hours with the lovely Horus with the FitEar Titan and the Cayin N8 (and to a lesser extent with the the AK SP1000). Having to devote some time to the jealous Stax SR009S did mean that it has taken me a while to give the Horus a good run out. I have just swapped out the FitEar Titan out and the FitEar Air2 in.

The first thing that strikes me about the Horus is as with the EA cables I have (Leo I and Leo II), it is wonderfully pliable and malleable. No need to worry about microphonics and other distractions like twisting of cables. Whenever I have taken the IEM and cable out for a run, it’s very much plug and play: no unnecessary time wasted trying to straighten out kinks etc. That’s what I admire about EA and its approach to cables: no fuss. Whilst its a little thing to some, small thoughtful touches like this do make the experience.

For those who have given the Titan a listen, you will notice that it is a very transparent and lively IEM: excellent treble extension and yet good tight bass. And very delicate mids which are wonderful for female vocals. With the Horus, off the N8 SE tube output, there is excellent transparency and clarity. The excellent soundstage of the Titan and N8 are accentuated by the Horus. One thing about the N8 tube output, is that while it is a lovely tube sound signature, its Cayin baseline soundstage means that it is not just wide but deep as well. With the Horus, there is no concern that this depth and thickness of the sound signature will obscure the vocals or instrument separation, while at the same time, the Horus gives full play to the sparkling trebles in the Titan.

I must admit that when Eric first suggested sending the Horus for me to try, I was a little diffident: after all, I already had the Leo II (which of course is so pristine in its sound). I am glad that I was persuaded. Whilst perhaps the Horus is not for everyone, at its current price point, if one wants to push the limits of your portable rig, the Horus is something certainly one should have a listen. You will most pleasantly surprised by the performance improvements.

I will continue to post impressions as I go along the path of listening to music with the Horus. :)

Mar 3, 2019 at 11:09 AM Post #3,342 of 7,919
Mar 3, 2019 at 5:15 PM Post #3,343 of 7,919
the only thing missing, you need a matching 2.5mm to 4.4mm pigtail Horus adaptor :wink:

Heheh! Indeed! Eric didn’t send me one cos he knows I have EA adapters already, But you’re right: something to ponder. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back