Effect Audio cables thread
Oct 24, 2018 at 4:48 PM Post #2,986 of 7,943
For those that have heard the Leo II and the Ares II 8-wire or any of the other EA 8-wire cables, how close does the Leo II come to matching the soundstage width and depth of the 8-wire cables? I'm wondering if materials can in any way make up for the lack of 4 extra cables but I've been using EA 8-wire cables and am used to the expansive soundstage of those paired with my EE Legend-X IEMs. I've read all of the reviews (thanks everyone for the detailed first impressions) but am interested to hear specifically how the soundstage compares to an 8-wire cable.

Oct 25, 2018 at 1:34 AM Post #2,989 of 7,943
For those that have heard the Leo II and the Ares II 8-wire or any of the other EA 8-wire cables, how close does the Leo II come to matching the soundstage width and depth of the 8-wire cables? I'm wondering if materials can in any way make up for the lack of 4 extra cables but I've been using EA 8-wire cables and am used to the expansive soundstage of those paired with my EE Legend-X IEMs. I've read all of the reviews (thanks everyone for the detailed first impressions) but am interested to hear specifically how the soundstage compares to an 8-wire cable.

In my comparison between the Leo II and Janus D, I noted the Janus D's superior separation, because the individual notes were more tightly outlined and compact. And, the latter had a more expansive background. So, although instruments were placed just as close as they were on the Leo II, you could feel more space behind them, so they felt more three-dimensional and resolved as they decayed. The Leo II is more transparent and resolving than the 8-wire Ares II, but as modestly as the latter performs in those regards, there's still an effortless that the Leo II just barely loses out on. Whether or not that last bit of headroom is worth the loss in transparency, resolution and ergonomics is of course up to the user. But if that's the discussion, it's also worth keeping in mind the Bespoke Ares II's tonal differences as well.

As I said to Eric when I tried the Leo II for the first time, it's one of the most 8-wire-like 4-wire cables I've tried, with the only contenders being PWAudio's 2-wire (4-conductor) 1960s and probably the Horus. If you want the best compromise between 4-wire ergonomics and 8-wire performance, and you're good with the Leo II's signature, then it's a great buy IMO.

Oct 25, 2018 at 1:42 AM Post #2,990 of 7,943
In my comparison between the Leo II and Janus D, I noted the Janus D's superior separation, because the individual notes were more tightly outlined and compact. And, the latter had a more expansive background. So, although instruments were placed just as close as they were on the Leo II, you could feel more space behind them, so they felt more three-dimensional and resolved as they decayed. The Leo II is more transparent and resolving than the 8-wire Ares II, but as modestly as the latter performs in those regards, there's still an effortless that the Leo II just barely loses out on. Whether or not that last bit of headroom is worth the loss in transparency, resolution and ergonomics is of course up to the user. But if that's the discussion, it's also worth keeping in mind the Bespoke Ares II's tonal differences as well.

As I said to Eric when I tried the Leo II for the first time, it's one of the most 8-wire-like 4-wire cables I've tried, with the only contenders being PWAudio's 2-wire (4-conductor) 1960s and probably the Horus. If you want the best compromise between 4-wire ergonomics and 8-wire performance, and you're good with the Leo II's signature, then it's a great buy IMO.
Thanks @Deezel177 this is very helpful information!

Oct 25, 2018 at 1:51 AM Post #2,991 of 7,943
1) QC - (2Pin Barrels Slipping Off)
We've finally ditched our previous 2Pin barrel partner for the current more stable 2Pin barrel. We are sure that EA cables henceforth will not have barrels slipping off issues. Meanwhile, for all current owners with 2Pin slipping off. If you would like to have it changed to the newer 2Pin, please send me a mail. We'll service it at no charge and take care of one way shipping back to you via EXPRESS (DHL).

- Eric

May I ask when was this change (about the 2Pin barrel partner) implemented? Would the current cables at local distributors (ex. Japan) already have the new barrels? And is there any way to tell the difference between the old vs new barrels?

Oct 25, 2018 at 5:24 PM Post #2,993 of 7,943
More EA eye candy - Thor II 8 and Eros II 8.
Effect Audio 8 wire.jpg

Oct 25, 2018 at 8:53 PM Post #2,995 of 7,943
Mhmmmmm upgraded 2 pin barrels. Just as suddenly, Leo II and Horus are back in my sights.

Oct 26, 2018 at 10:31 AM Post #2,999 of 7,943
If I'm not mistaken, he referred to bass attenuation relative to Leo I, not that Leo II attenuates bass in general. I tested Leo 2 with LX last night, and my ears were still "bleeding" :D It's all a matter of a personal preference, especially if you are a basshead and enjoy LX tuning. With Leo 2, LX bass is tighter, more articulate, more focused, which to my ears gives it a little more power and control. For me personally, I preferred Ares II pair up with more decay in bass for a better blend in/transition into mids. But it's all a matter of a personal taste. There is NO right or wrong answer on this one :wink:

I know it's old but I have to agree with this. For my taste I do prefer the stock cable for LX. I have tried ares 8 wire, and currently own Janus D and thor silver 8 wire. Thor silver 8 wire is too much bass for me, its too powerful. Some genres it could workout really well but for my music its too much.

Janus D sounds pretty awesome with legend and I have no complaints but as alex has stated I think the ares II stock blends all frequencies in together better. I did not like the ares 8 wire as I thought it took away from the vocals and placed too much emphasis on the instruments. Btw that was a brief few hour listen as I traded it in for the janus d.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2018 at 1:24 PM Post #3,000 of 7,943
20181026_111511.jpg

@EffectAudio
Is the Psquared 3.5mm plug suppose to be able to come apart like this? I know that you're suppose to be able to unscrew the jack, but the ring with the engraved logo has ended up like this twice in the last 2 weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back