Effect Audio - AKA Balance Adapter
Aug 22, 2020 at 1:17 AM Post #46 of 83
If this connector is like other 3.5mm + 2.5mm AK connectors made before, it actually uses the ground from the 3.5mm so you can go fully 5 pin 4.4mm connector and connect to balanced amp for example.

Yes, if I am not mistaken then @ThomasHK is correct about this. If you look closely at the 4.4mm connector, there are 4 poles, while the 2.5mm connector only has 4 poles. Thus, this adapter from EA uses the 3.5mm as an active grounding, which effectively uses the 3.5mm as the "5th pole" that is missing from the 2.5mm connector to make it fully balanced. So in this case, you should theoretically be able to get the actual sonic benefits of the 4.4mm over the 2.5mm balanced plug. This is unlike the "balanced adapters" you see like the one pictured below!

Am I missing something here ? don't balanced adapters already exist for just $9
www.Amazon.com/dp/B081C3M5RB

Also, EA uses the PSquared 2.5mm and 3.5mm and the Pentaconn official 4.4mm socket. A quick google search will show that these individual components are not cheap. I don't wish to comment on the pricing, nobody would be able to tell you if there will be an improvement in the sound or not, that is up to each individual to judge and decide whether they are able to hear the differences for themselves and whether they are willing to pay the price for it!

I personally would also hope for AK to adopt the 4.4mm plug in their DAPs but I highly doubt it would happen :frowning2: I am no electrical engineer so I am no expert in this field. Just sharing my two cents!

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2020 at 1:34 AM Post #47 of 83
Yea but if you were that invested in the high end ak system wouldn't you just buy a 2.5mm cable .
2.5mm ports get loose over time. That's generally why people don't like them.
With this, you never need to plug or unplug from the 2.5mm port, preserving it.

Aug 22, 2020 at 12:02 PM Post #48 of 83
Screenshot_20200822-165924_Chrome.jpg
Can be detached fast and used as a tazer to stop thieves taking your Dap as well.

Aug 22, 2020 at 2:21 PM Post #49 of 83
Yes, if I am not mistaken then @ThomasHK is correct about this. If you look closely at the 4.4mm connector, there are 4 poles, while the 2.5mm connector only has 4 poles. Thus, this adapter from EA uses the 3.5mm as an active grounding, which effectively uses the 3.5mm as the "5th pole" that is missing from the 2.5mm connector to make it fully balanced. So in this case, you should theoretically be able to get the actual sonic benefits of the 4.4mm over the 2.5mm balanced plug. This is unlike the "balanced adapters" you see like the one pictured below!

There have been products like it before that even went out to 2x XLR for balanced amps.

1598120452431.png

Aug 22, 2020 at 11:31 PM Post #50 of 83
There have been products like it before that even went out to 2x XLR for balanced amps.

1598120452431.png
Ah yes this is it! Thanks for finding the image. So this one from EA in theory would give you the benefits of ”fully balanced”. I would be very interested to give this a try to see if I would actually be able to hear any sonic improvements vs straight out of 2.5mm balanced.

Side note, regarding the durability of 2.5mm plugs, this actually happened to me before, with the remaining 3 poles stuck inside my ak240. Therefore, if AK decides to adopt the 4.4mm standard (which I really hope), I would definitely jump on!
967F4FD6-4F73-4FD7-9C66-D1D22F028990.jpeg

Aug 22, 2020 at 11:45 PM Post #51 of 83
Ah yes this is it! Thanks for finding the image. So this one from EA in theory would give you the benefits of ”fully balanced”. I would be very interested to give this a try to see if I would actually be able to hear any sonic improvements vs straight out of 2.5mm balanced.

Side note, regarding the durability of 2.5mm plugs, this actually happened to me before, with the remaining 3 poles stuck inside my ak240. Therefore, if AK decides to adopt the 4.4mm standard (which I really hope), I would definitely jump on!
967F4FD6-4F73-4FD7-9C66-D1D22F028990.jpeg

Similar had happened to me and since then I moved away from AK. The adapter like this is totally unnecessary if AK just moved
away from 2.5 mm which nobody's willing adopt, but then AK's too proud. They will lead the way of glorious 2.5mm path, which
I refuse to follow.

Aug 23, 2020 at 10:53 AM Post #53 of 83
Has astell & kern ever made a statement regarding 4.4mm ?
As far as I know, nope. Therefore, I feel that this product from Effect Audio plugs a gap in the market as it allows owners of AK DAPs to be able to use 4.4mm cables with their own DAP and enjoy the sonic benefits. Personally, its not a product I would need as I wouldn't want to reterminate all my cables into 4.4mm I will happily use my 2.5mm. But hey, its nice that this product is there to provide an option so well done EA anyway :)

Aug 24, 2020 at 9:51 AM Post #55 of 83
Last edited:
Aug 24, 2020 at 11:21 AM Post #56 of 83
This is interesting as I was talking just yesterday with Ray Samuels, who introduced the Kobiconn balanced connector to the portable headphone world. In all the time since it's introduction, he has not repaired any. He used it on both the input for balanced as well as the headphone out. He also mentioned the selection of the L-Shape over the 3.5 female connector was intentional as he used the ground from the 3.5 to get the fully balanced noted above. I think the problem was it did not have that jewelry finish that seemed to be preferred. My RSA SR71B is chugging along great, though I did have to have a new battery put in by Ray.

Aug 24, 2020 at 11:32 AM Post #57 of 83
Hold on, what about the typical smaller HifiGoGo adaptors that can do 4.4mm to 2.5mm? It's a special one I bought on Aliexpress and it's quite small, this one works just fine.

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/40006...er_id=bfd7bd948b5543989e1223ca9e7decdc&is_c=N
This is the DDHifi 4.4mm female adapter that I purchased via Amazon and it did not work. I was using a PW cable. DD’s 2.5mm female adapters are great which is what made me try this and it did not work. Has anyone used them and they did work?

Aug 24, 2020 at 4:39 PM Post #58 of 83
This is the DDHifi 4.4mm female adapter that I purchased via Amazon and it did not work. I was using a PW cable. DD’s 2.5mm female adapters are great which is what made me try this and it did not work. Has anyone used them and they did work?

Mine works flawless...

Aug 24, 2020 at 6:52 PM Post #59 of 83
Simply working, doesn't get you very far in this hobby.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back