Effect Audio - AKA Balance Adapter
Aug 20, 2020 at 6:05 PM Post #17 of 83
Seems to defeat the point of a convenient portable player if you ask me... and what if your phone doesn’t Bluetooth HD codecs?

I dunno, then you buy a AK player and put a $200 adapter on it for 4.4mm LOL

Aug 20, 2020 at 6:12 PM Post #19 of 83
Also, if I'm looking at this correctly, you lose both your 3.5mm and 2.5mm output so you can get one 4.4mm output (the adapter only has one output).

So you're giving up your 3.5mm too.

Aug 20, 2020 at 6:31 PM Post #20 of 83
Also, if I'm looking at this correctly, you lose both your 3.5mm and 2.5mm output so you can get one 4.4mm output (the adapter only has one output).

So you're giving up your 3.5mm too.
Do you usually use 3.5mm and 4.4mm outputs at the same time do you? :smile: Tbf an adaptor like this is a short term fix but it’s better than buying a relic.

Aug 20, 2020 at 6:58 PM Post #21 of 83
Do you usually use 3.5mm and 4.4mm outputs at the same time do you? :smile: Tbf an adaptor like this is a short term fix but it’s better than buying a relic.

What if you have other IEMs in 3.5mm input tho...so you would need to take the adaptor off to plug in the cable...and then plug in the adapter again after when you want to use your 4.4mm cables...

I think the adaptor that's just a connector and attaches onto your plug is probably a better idea.

Also, there's tons of DAPs rn that offer 4.4mm in very reasonable prices with streaming: iBasso, Hiby, FiiO, Shanling, Cayin, the new Sony DAPs, etc. No need for relics if you don't want to.

Not saying AK are bad, I've owned a SR15 and loved it + demo'd Cube/SP2000 and they're definitely in my top 3 DAPs (1Z is the other). But buying a DAP ultimately means you have to commit to their outputs available for your cables (2.5mm for AK in this case). I know AK will probably never add 4.4mm because it's a pride issue with them (they popularized 2.5mm first), but it's really silly and they should just add it like everyone else.

Aug 20, 2020 at 7:07 PM Post #22 of 83
What if you have other IEMs in 3.5mm input tho...so you would need to take the adaptor off to plug in the cable...and then plug in the adapter again after when you want to use your 4.4mm cables...

I think the adaptor that's just a connector and attaches onto your plug is probably a better idea.

Also, there's tons of DAPs rn that offer 4.4mm in very reasonable prices with streaming: iBasso, Hiby, FiiO, Shanling, Cayin, the new Sony DAPs, etc. No need for relics if you don't want to.

Not saying AK are bad, I've owned a SR15 and loved it + demo'd Cube/SP2000 and they're definitely in my top 3 DAPs (1Z is the other). But buying a DAP ultimately means you have to commit to their outputs available for your cables (2.5mm for AK in this case). I know AK will probably never add 4.4mm because it's a pride issue with them (they popularized 2.5mm first), but it's really silly and they should just add it like everyone else.

Yeah I wish everyone got on board with just one connection but that’s never going to happen. I can see AKs point of view though as they have been using it for longer. Many of the manufacturers you have listed also offer models with 2.5mm outputs too so I don’t think this situation is going to be resolved anytime soon. I just like the AK house sound and build quality.

Aug 20, 2020 at 7:10 PM Post #23 of 83
Yeah I wish everyone got on board with just one connection but that’s never going to happen. I can see AKs point of view though as they have been using it for longer. Many of the manufacturers you have listed also offer models with 2.5mm outputs too so I don’t think this situation is going to be resolved anytime soon. I just like the AK house sound and build quality.

AK DAPs are good and have the lowest noise floor I’ve experienced with Andromedas. I only went 1A because of the 30 hr battery life (I hate recharging).

To your point, I do believe both Sony and AK should move in the direction that the other manufacturers are moving (3.5mm, 2.5mm and 4.4mm all available in a DAP) like the FiiO M11.

Aug 20, 2020 at 7:25 PM Post #24 of 83
AK DAPs are good and have the lowest noise floor I’ve experienced with Andromedas. I only went 1A because of the 30 hr battery life (I hate recharging).

To your point, I do believe both Sony and AK should move in the direction that the other manufacturers are moving (3.5mm, 2.5mm and 4.4mm all available in a DAP) like the FiiO M11.

Why the need to adopt the 2.5 mm balanced from Sony point of view? It’s an inferior connector compared to other type of balanced connectors. What AK should do is to move away from 2.5 mm and go with The 4.4 mm balanced for better sound quality due to better signal transfer and greater durability.

Aug 20, 2020 at 7:32 PM Post #25 of 83
Why the need to adopt the 2.5 mm balanced from Sony point of view? It’s an inferior connector compared to other type of balanced connectors. What AK should do is to move away from 2.5 mm and go with The 4.4 mm balanced for better sound quality due to better signal transfer and greater durability.
Why don’t you write a nice email to AK pal as you obviously know something that their engineers don’t.

Aug 20, 2020 at 8:16 PM Post #26 of 83
Why don’t you write a nice email to AK pal as you obviously know something that their engineers don’t.

It’s just a basic electronic man. You can’t even use a high-grade copper on the 2.5 mm because it is just too fragile. You can compare the material on Furutech headphones connectors for yourself. My opinion is that AK has plenty to gain by going with a high grade 4.4 mm connectors that’s all. Not just on the durability but a slightly increased in sound quality will be very welcomed as well. Adapter will always degrade the sound no matter how high the quality. I work on my own cables myself so I know.

This Effect Audio may be the next best thing if they use a $80 OFC copper Pentaconn plug. Can u guys confirm that Effect Audio?

Aug 20, 2020 at 8:36 PM Post #27 of 83
Effect Audio is proud to announce the launch of AKA Balance Adapter - the most satisfying choice to fulfil our audiophiles “love for beauty”. It allows you to enjoy the best performance of your audio system without changing the plug and compromising the aesthetics.

The new adapter features a geometric cutting design combine with CNC aluminum alloy shell that technically and aesthetically matches Astell&Kern DAP. It adopts the high-end PSquared (palladium and platinum-plated)2.5mm and 3.5mm plugs developed in cooperation with EA and Oyaide as well as the 4.4mm official socket by Pentaconn. This makeup significantly reduces signal transmission loss and reproduce little to no distortion.

To provide superior music listening experience for audiophiles‘, EA had adjusted and polished the details repeatedly for the amazing final result:

The weight of 18g makes it incredibly portable and storage; The use of aluminum alloy shell combined with precision CNC technology makes it resistant to fingerprints. The size is 38.0×30.0×12.9mm which matches with the thickness of the DAP. It is undoubtedly an outstanding matching accessory for Astell&Kern DAP.

AKA is compatible with Astell&Kern's SP2000, SP1000, SA700, KANN CUBE and other portable models with 2.5mm balanced output and 3.5mm single-ended socket.

Technical Advantages Highlight

·Geometric-cutting design and CNC aluminum alloy shell

·Adopts high-end PSquared 2.5mm and 3.5mm plug designed in cooperation with Oyaide

·Adopts Pentaconn official 4.4mm socket

·Special made 34 AWG OCC copper internal strands

RRP:US$199

Shop here: www.effectaudio.com/accessories/aka-balance-adaptor.html

Visit our website www.effectaudio.com for more information.

AKA1.jpgAKA2.jpgAKA3.jpgAKA4.jpgAKA5.jpg
This thing should be $75 at best... For $200, I could make my own just deal with adapters. This is really an overreach. Some Moon Audio ish.

Aug 20, 2020 at 9:25 PM Post #29 of 83
This thing should be $75 at best... For $200, I could make my own just deal with adapters. This is really an overreach. Some Moon Audio ish.
If they use the OFC 4.4 mm plug from Pentaconn then it may not be that bad of a deal. Agreed on DIY.

Aug 20, 2020 at 9:28 PM Post #30 of 83
If this connector is like other 3.5mm + 2.5mm AK connectors made before, it actually uses the ground from the 3.5mm so you can go fully 5 pin 4.4mm connector and connect to balanced amp for example.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back