EDU: How to mod your Senn580
Apr 30, 2007 at 2:22 PM Post #31 of 84
The headphones sound very bad without the foam, and nylon itself changes the sound (more than replacing 580 grilles with the 600 ones).

Removing the foam on the 600 as per the thread title would be just wrong. The 650 is different enough overall that drilling a hole or replacing the foam would cause more problems.

Try putting pantyhose over your head, and listening.. then 5 minutes later take them off.

I'd rather take a well researched and tuned headphone (with foam on) than some radical replacement of materials. The 600 grills are fine (cosmetic or sq) because they are an actual Sennheiser part that is on the jubilee. The pantyhose or hole is not.

[size=xx-small]From my point of view, the added "detail and brightness" is artificially induced in the modifications (of the foam not the grilles) while the seemingly brighter 600 is most likely a result of the closer driver matching. From my experience when both sides are closer during complex passages, it feels like more detail is discerned, which is what the goal of the 600 was.[/size]

props for the diy minded efforts though.

May 15, 2007 at 8:10 PM Post #32 of 84
Drews: Do you have a part number for that headband? Which Beyer is it from. The finished product with the new grills and that head band is one of the best lookinf set of cans I've seen.

May 15, 2007 at 8:22 PM Post #33 of 84
Just to clarify something, the part number for the 600 grille is 092815 and the US price is $7.93. They now have 5 (total, not pairs) in stock. Now it's off to the Beyer site to find that bootylicious headband.

May 15, 2007 at 8:28 PM Post #34 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by a shovel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The headphones sound very bad without the foam...

I respectfully disagree with this statement. "They sound bad" is a subjective statement. When I remove the foam in my 580s (and 650s for that matter), I like the sound better.

My advise to anyone reading is to try for yourself and make your own judgments.

As for the original post - thank you. I have referenced this post repeatedly. Most of the mods done to my 580s are ridiculously simple. When you don't know how to disassemble them, it can be pretty scary pulling on this and that in an effort to get them apart.

My 580s now have HD600 grilles and HD650 cables. I couldn't discern a difference with the grilles, but I did with the cables. For the record, I put the foam back in because I didn't like the idea of naked drivers.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks,

GAD

May 15, 2007 at 9:19 PM Post #35 of 84
Don't know how much this is in the spirit of the original post but since I have no real skills beyond the ability to listen to music for long periods of time I took the easy way out and bought woodies and a blue moon cable for my
580s. I'm very happy with the sound and I am firmly convinced that the woodies make a difference. Of course I readily admit that I can be "convincing" myself based on looks and the $ expended.

580s-02.jpg

580s-01.jpg

May 16, 2007 at 12:16 AM Post #37 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the bales of the 600s are made of carbon fiber instead of plastic

I would just like to emphasize that there is no carbon fiber whatsoever in the HD600s. This myth seems to have originated from the faux-carbon fiber finish on the HD580 jubilees which later became the HD600, and is propogated thoughtlessly by many people. The ONLY headphone that has REAL carbon fiber on it is the Qualia.

That said, the HD600 housings are claimed by Sennheiser to be stiffer or somehow otherwise different in terms of vibration properties. I do not know what, if anything, this entails.

jesse

May 20, 2007 at 12:12 AM Post #38 of 84
I got my 600 grilles today, four days after I placed the order, meanwhile, Mike from Beyer still hasn't called back. They just might sound little more open, but they look at least one hundred times better. I'm going to do a single blind A/B test (with my wifes assistance) and a stock pair I've got on the way.

May 20, 2007 at 5:48 AM Post #40 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by GAD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I respectfully disagree with this statement. "They sound bad" is a subjective statement. When I remove the foam in my 580s (and 650s for that matter), I like the sound better.

My advise to anyone reading is to try for yourself and make your own judgments.

As for the original post - thank you. I have referenced this post repeatedly. Most of the mods done to my 580s are ridiculously simple. When you don't know how to disassemble them, it can be pretty scary pulling on this and that in an effort to get them apart.

My 580s now have HD600 grilles and HD650 cables. I couldn't discern a difference with the grilles, but I did with the cables. For the record, I put the foam back in because I didn't like the idea of naked drivers.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks,

GAD

totally agree! with EVERYTHING!

the carbon fiber claim is preposterous - but his sources are dated back from when it was still widely speculated. vcoheda isn't really into reading anybody else's posts nor references. moving on
rolleyes.gif

the grilles don't really make a huge difference, the cables are where its at. now, woodies (
blink.gif
) i've no experience with - how are they? and cost??? at least that makes me feel better about my equinox purchase!
biggrin.gif
i'm not the only one to go to extremes for my HD580s!! haha!
580smile.gif

i too was not too excited about naked drivers...that's what the nylon mod is for!

personally, i did the nylon mod only for the mids; i listen to a lot of classical and the 580s seemed lacking in mids. the nylon was to compensate for that...but now i've got my equinox and homegrown silver IC on the way - finger crossed!

CHEERS!

May 20, 2007 at 6:03 AM Post #41 of 84
The Headphile Senn woodies start at $150. That should cover quite a wide selection of wood types, including Cherry, Paduak and Maple. The closed-back nature of the woodies will undoubtedly bring a change to the sound as well, subject to individual's preferences.

As for the headphone cable, I've got the Headphile Silver on my HD-600 (which I will assume sound practically the same as the HD-580) and it is a large step-up over the HD-650 cable I once tried on it. Put simply, the sound is more open and musical compared to the dry and boring presentation with the HD-650 cable. I agree with peers' comments that the Headphile Silver matches well with the HD-580/-600 phones.

Cheers!

Jun 13, 2007 at 9:27 AM Post #43 of 84
Excellent resource, Ichinichi, thank you. I receive my 580s in a couple of days, and I'm excited to get to work!

Jun 27, 2007 at 1:41 AM Post #45 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ichinichi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Glad you find it useful!!
biggrin.gif
Mod away! And don't shy away from trying other cables!! My Equinox made a HELL of a difference!

Ichinchi.....hands down for your thread. I own a 580, but i couldnt get the enjoyment in classical in their stock form. I think the main factor would be the veil and a bit of a darkish sound. And now i was very very close to getting AKG701. But after this thread , i'm sooooo determined to try out the mods, and to buy a itsy bitsy Equinox cable
3000smile.gif
. Please describe the effect of the Equinox cable ....

P.S - and also they look so fineeeee......
3000smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back