EDU: How to mod your Senn580
Jul 11, 2007 at 5:20 AM Post #46 of 84
Hi OvidiuDanut! So glad you found the thread!

Oh. Wow. The Equinox. I find I'll have to parrot what most others have said: everything you get with the stock 650 cable but BETTER. I found wider soundstage, greater detail and resolution, bass tighter, highs as clear and pure as the pure resonant ringing of clink'd crystal champagne flutes. With the Equinox I finally understood what soundstage was, I finally understood what image meant, what real resolution sounds like and heard for myself what attack and decay refers to. I HIGHLY recommend all 580 owners to jump on an Equinox if given the chance. Watch the FS/FT forums (saw a few of late) and just take the dive - you'll be happy you did.

Aug 1, 2007 at 1:43 PM Post #48 of 84
Older thread, but wanted to add impression of a foam mod. I did want to "brighten" the sound of my HD580s having gotten used to SR80 Grados for a bit over a month. Had very thin grill cloth from a broken Mission speaker grill & decided to replace the stock foam w/it. Here's a comparison (HD580 foam on bottom, grill cloth on top):

HD580foam.jpg

This seemed to add some crispness to the highs & now I need to spend some time w/them.
Thanks to all those posting their HD580 info (over the years
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 8, 2007 at 2:39 AM Post #51 of 84
An update on my HD580 foam mod... After listening to these for a while with the thin cloth, I went back to the OEM foam.

The mod did release a little more highs from the drivers adding to some part of the freq response that didn't need it IMO. I guess sennheiser got it right w/the orig foam
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by cfcubed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HD580foam.jpg

Aug 16, 2007 at 10:49 AM Post #53 of 84
I wanted to mention that when I called beyerdynamic they told me they didn't take phone orders and emailed me an order form.

The order form did not come with any type of catelog and I could not find one on their website. I put in the part order number that was listed in the thread linked and went to fax the form over to the # they gave me.

Somebody answered the phone at that number and said "hey this is kent" "hello?". So I just hung up the fax machine and shredded my order form.

Beyer made this way too difficult for my whim.

Aug 21, 2007 at 2:42 PM Post #54 of 84
Yeah, they are kind of a pain in the butt to deal with, but what you get for the money - if you're talking about the beautiful 770 headband - is well worth it. They're not really set up to deal with end users, but I think we're getting wholesale prices in return.

Aug 21, 2007 at 6:50 PM Post #55 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by jesse_w /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would just like to emphasize that there is no carbon fiber whatsoever in the HD600s.

This is false. The headband of the 580, 600 and 650 are all made from a fiber reinforced plastic. If you strip the painted finish off the headband, you'll find that they all use a carbon/plastic composite. It appears to be a uni-directional carbon/graphite tape or mat that is impregnated with a black thermoset resin.

The 600's have a fake "carbon" pattern painted on the headband to look like a woven carbon composite.

Aug 24, 2007 at 11:01 AM Post #56 of 84
Your thread should be stickied, friend. Thank you Ichinichi.

Aug 25, 2007 at 3:22 PM Post #57 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by yotacowboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is false. The headband of the 580, 600 and 650 are all made from a fiber reinforced plastic. If you strip the painted finish off the headband, you'll find that they all use a carbon/plastic composite. It appears to be a uni-directional carbon/graphite tape or mat that is impregnated with a black thermoset resin.

The 600's have a fake "carbon" pattern painted on the headband to look like a woven carbon composite.

This has been beaten to death. There were rumors of carbon fiber only in the 600 headband. Not the 580s and the 650s use other materials. I have personally stripped the headband of my 580s and there is no carbon anything - it is just a piece of plastic. As for the 600s there are MANY MANY threads on the topic, the gist of which is that carbon fiber bands were early launch hype, which Senn didn't do anything to stop. It was only later, as paint came off the 600 bands, one way or another, that this rumor was disproved.

Sep 15, 2007 at 10:37 AM Post #60 of 84
thanks ichinichi for the mod..
but the problem is a pair of hd600 is around $40 from senn usa..

if anyone has a pair lying around, do pm me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back