Eddie Current Zana Deux owners
Feb 1, 2008 at 3:12 AM Post #466 of 2,605
Quote:

Originally Posted by ironbut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd be real interested in how the Mullard works out. A couple of other tubes that have been mentioned (that I haven't tried yet) are the Brimar and Ken Rads. What 6sl7 tube is Craig delivering as stock. He sent me a Russian tube to try ( I was supposed to pass it around for other folks to try but I our wires got crossed somehow and I sent it back to him). When I listened to it with my K701s, it sounded pretty damn good. Maybe a poor-mans TS 6su7.
Also, the RCA that was in my tube comparison was a 5691 "special red" which has a red base and extra supports. Real euphonic so it wouldn't be a good match for lots of folks. Sometimes when I want a relaxing listen, it's a nice change of pace. I kinda like it with a pair of Dt880s (with a 120 ohm loading plug). A real smoooothy.

ironbut, let me know if you want to try a Brimar. It's been my favorite in the Zana for some time now. So much that I've stocked up. I'd be happy to let you give one a listen.

A_Sr.

Feb 15, 2008 at 1:37 PM Post #467 of 2,605
Hi Blackmore how is the new amp going?I am waiting on your opinion,i also have GSK1's and also interested in this amp,also Raptor. I see you have sold your old amp,congrats.

Feb 15, 2008 at 3:24 PM Post #468 of 2,605
Yes, I sold it localy, thanks.

Zana is more than I could hope for, really. Here some of my impressions.

Using Sylvania is getting more extended, detailed and very balanced sound sig. I think it is one of the best for such. Great with almost everything, except some of the ROCK records arent that wonderful, but who cares.

Using Tung Sol is much alike RCA, do not hear a lot of difference which hit you directely.

Using NU is totally different from two above. The sound is more compressed, kind of less airiness and extention. Much better for ROCK, cos treble is pretty smooth.

My RCA black based tube is dead, unfortunately, and I didnt get my hands on new one yet, but if I do it would be RED based one, which seems to be a very good one to.

This is what I have wrote in other thread about Mullard

Just listened to some JAZZ and TRANCE for like 3 hours non stop and nothing but glorious feeling, man, amazing. The sound is not just velvety smooth, the whole aura around seems to become creamy. Its like take a bite of a very nice chocolate, which is hard in the beginning, but after a while its starts smelting in your mouth and all aroma's hitting your brain and asking: DO YOU WANT MORE?! And the answer is: BLOODY DAMN YES!!!

After several hours of listening Zana was 100% optimal and the combo with Mullard paralysed me for such long time that I couldnt stop listen to it.

Thats what I feel now...pure bless.

Quote:

Originally Posted by maguire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Blackmore how is the new amp going?I am waiting on your opinion,i also have GSK1's and also interested in this amp,also Raptor. I see you have sold your old amp,congrats.

Feb 15, 2008 at 3:49 PM Post #469 of 2,605
WoW! that sounds mouth watering Blackmore,you sound really impressed"Pure Bliss".
Love to hear it.
But i dont think anyone in Melbourne has a Zana Duex?
From your feelings this is the best amp for GS1k's

Feb 15, 2008 at 4:10 PM Post #470 of 2,605
From what I have heard, YES it is. Unfortunately Raptor is not one of them, so can not say anything.

Zana needs some extra time to warm up, but when she does, she shines all the way. I experienced it with Mullard and at some point you do not hear the same GS1000. My time limitations do not allowed me to experience this with other tubes yet, but I am sure that the results would be the same, only with their own flavour of course.

Quote:

WoW! that sounds mouth watering Blackmore,you sound really impressed"Pure Bliss".
Love to hear it.
But i dont think anyone in Melbourne has a Zana Duex?
From your feelings this is the best amp for GS1k's

Feb 15, 2008 at 4:40 PM Post #472 of 2,605
If you mean Zana, thats US 110V one, I believe, so you need an converter.

Quote:

There is one for sale here on the Head-fi,but i dont know if it has to be different voltage for Australia?

Feb 15, 2008 at 5:28 PM Post #473 of 2,605
Thanks for the info Blackmore,
great speaking with you,
i appreciate your input on the forums. Now i beleive this will be my amp of choice.
Not cheap but from how you described it its a "must have".
Anyway hope to chat again as i have many questions, but nw ive got to get some slleep-its 4:30 am here in oz

Feb 16, 2008 at 4:01 PM Post #474 of 2,605
Quote:

Originally Posted by jooper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, relating to a slightly earlier discussion; FWIW, I was emailing Craig the other day and he mentioned that the Svetlana 6C33C-B tubes sound better than the later made 6c33c-b at the Ulyanov factory.

The Svetlana tubes are the ones with the winged C logo on them (also harder to find), rather than the inverted Y (which comes stock on the current ZD, and sold at most places).

Just thought some ZD owners would be interested in knowing, as a few are going on ebay now.

Yup, those are the ones I have...or should say had because within an hour or 2 one of them went kaput. Have no idea why, both were hermetically sealed in original manufacturing bags, thankfully the ebay seller took pity on me and sent me another one.

Feb 16, 2008 at 4:29 PM Post #475 of 2,605
Did you warm up the tubes before you started up the amp the first time?

I've read on some other forum that the 6c33c tubes benefit from burning in. That is having the heaters only on for 48 hours. This supposedly prolongs their life, or maybe even reduces premature failures. I asked Craig about this, and he says that's not necessary - just warm them up without the rectifiers the first time for 10 mins, then turnoff, and startup with all tubes in.

I went kind of in-between these recommendations and let them cook for 2 hours without rectifiers. Got 4 of the Svetlana's and they all work great (touch wood!).

Feb 17, 2008 at 4:35 AM Post #477 of 2,605
Quote:

Originally Posted by jooper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did you warm up the tubes before you started up the amp the first time?

I've read on some other forum that the 6c33c tubes benefit from burning in. That is having the heaters only on for 48 hours. This supposedly prolongs their life, or maybe even reduces premature failures. I asked Craig about this, and he says that's not necessary - just warm them up without the rectifiers the first time for 10 mins, then turnoff, and startup with all tubes in.

I went kind of in-between these recommendations and let them cook for 2 hours without rectifiers. Got 4 of the Svetlana's and they all work great (touch wood!).

Yup, I pretty much followed Craig's directions to the teeth. Ran them for a bit without the rectifiers for 10 mins or so. Its okay I got a replacement and as of right now its working just fine. I will cook it for a couple of hours and cross your fingers it wont bite the ghost.

Feb 17, 2008 at 6:47 AM Post #478 of 2,605
If possible, would you be so kind to describe the biggest sound differences when stock 6C33C and NOS 1970 C logo, one you bought, been used. I was thinking of upgred them as well, but stuck with spending some cash on 6SL7 at the moment. Also do not see this guy on Ebay anymore, sold out?
THX

Quote:

Originally Posted by recstar24 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yup, I pretty much followed Craig's directions to the teeth. Ran them for a bit without the rectifiers for 10 mins or so. Its okay I got a replacement and as of right now its working just fine. I will cook it for a couple of hours and cross your fingers it wont bite the ghost.

Feb 17, 2008 at 8:32 AM Post #479 of 2,605
For the record: i tried the ZD with some Triple fi 10s today and it sounded awesome... made them as pretty good, nearly k701 good with the ZD actually... i didn't know the lil iems could scale up so well.... and no, i didn't hear any hiss or hum or anything like that (which is found on other, lesser tube amps).

Feb 17, 2008 at 9:14 PM Post #480 of 2,605
right now I have a pair of 1973 6c33b tubes in my Eddie Current HD2 but here is the line up I purchased of ebay about a year ago.
DSCN0507.jpg

DSCN0508.jpg

DSCN0509.jpg

DSCN0510.jpg

I am not a fan of the 63 6c18's I find the 6c33b to be much meatier and also clearer in the mids and highs as well. I have not run the 69,70 and 71s yet but have a pair of the 73s in the amp and really like the sound.
I sent my 86 tubes to a headfier in need but I though the 70s tubes were better but that could be my head playing tricks on me.

I would be open to a NorCal Eddie Current tube rolling micro meet

Users who are viewing this thread

Back