Eddie Current Zana Deux owners
Nov 28, 2013 at 12:31 PM Post #1,651 of 2,605
Geeeeez, this thread is still going? A mention to the above posts about Dire Straights---If you like them than check out all of Mark Knoplier's recordings. They are well mastered too. He sounds real good on the zana.

Nov 28, 2013 at 3:35 PM Post #1,652 of 2,605
MIKEY!!!!!  How are you????  Holy cow...I have wondered how you have been and looked for signs of you at times!  HAPPY Thanksgiving!

Yes, this thread is still going because the dang amp is still great!  In fact, I have been working my way through the EC amps and even tried again to reach out to you again about your pair of prototype Zanas a while ago.

Do you listen at all these days?  I finally got one and it is what I hoped it would be.  Have to say that I am just glad to see you on the boards and your taste is still good here. 
bigsmile_face.gif

bigsmile_face.gif

bigsmile_face.gif

Nov 28, 2013 at 3:42 PM Post #1,653 of 2,605
  C!

Congratulations on the ZDSE... and thanks for letting me buy your original prospect.
A year later it becomes yours. Let me know if you need any interesting tubes, I got some in the stash...

Cheers,
V

Val, thank you much...I never stopped wanting to really try one.  Glad that you still have yours!

After getting the BA, it was still too tempting not to try one.  The nice thing is that it is so good I will enjoy using either and both.  The only reasons I could ever see selling them is that I need the space or the $.

Thanks for the offer, I know you have some great tubes.  I only have one NOS 6SL7 and an ECC35 that I got lucky on.  Which is your favorite driver tube with HD800 currently?  

Nov 28, 2013 at 5:27 PM Post #1,654 of 2,605

After getting the BA, it was still too tempting not to try one.  The nice thing is that it is so good I will enjoy using either and both.  The only reasons I could ever see selling them is that I need the space or the $.

I also have both amps but am wondering if you find them complementary. Apart from the AD2000, which is tremendous with the Zana, I don't use it much. Have you tried using either as a pre into the other? 

Nov 28, 2013 at 10:10 PM Post #1,655 of 2,605
Has anyone done comparison ZD vs ZDSE?

Nov 29, 2013 at 12:09 PM Post #1,657 of 2,605
I see some ZD owners use a PS Audio PWD Dac with their amp, others have a NAD M51. I currently use a Violectric V800. For those who have paired their ZDSE with either the PWD or M51, two questions:

1. what change in the sound might I experience with either of those compared to the V800? 
2. knowing that the V800 / PWD or M51 comparison may not occurred, what sound quality led you to PWD or M51 for the ZD?

-AB

Nov 30, 2013 at 4:28 AM Post #1,658 of 2,605
  I see some ZD owners use a PS Audio PWD Dac with their amp, others have a NAD M51. I currently use a Violectric V800. For those who have paired their ZDSE with either the PWD or M51, two questions:

1. what change in the sound might I experience with either of those compared to the V800? 
2. knowing that the V800 / PWD or M51 comparison may not occurred, what sound quality led you to PWD or M51 for the ZD?

-AB

I'll go with 2, since I never got to hear a V800.

The M51 is a darn good DAC for its price. For that kind of money, you'll be hard-pressed to find a better sounding DAC out there. It also has a tad warmer than neutral sonic balance, which is great when used with headphones like the HD800 or HE-6 (I don't use my ZDSE to drive the HE-6, of course, but it's one of my favorite headphones in the house).

I also used to own the Mytek Stereo192-DSD, which has been very favorably reviewed by various sources. It is indeed a solid performer, and quite versatile as a DAC/headphone amp/preamp. However, although the M51 has a digital preamp, its functionality as a DAC/digital preamp surpassed that of Mytek Stereo192-DSD as a DAC/analog preamp. And comparing PCM DAC functionality only, the M51 was a clear winner. One may prefer the Mytek if he wants to enjoy DSD recordings, or if he wants a one-in-a-box solution that has everything including a built-in headphone amp; but if your priority is purely DAC performance, then the M51 is a better option.

Actually, I kinda jumped for the M51 when it was on a big sale. After comparing it with the Mytek, I knew the latter had to go. Besides, the Mytek was priced much higher in my country for some reason, costing well over $2,000, so there was really no reason for me to keep it.

A word of advice is that the M51 performs better when using its AES/EBU input. I'm not saying that the USB input is bad by any means, but there is clearly an improvement when AES/EBU is used, especially with hi-rez stuff. I recommend using an USB transceiver like the Stello U3 or SOtM dX-USB HD to take advantage of AES/EBU. With the Mytek, I couldn't hear much difference between USB, FireWire and AES/EBU, and most USB transceivers are not compatible with DSD so there was that.

Lastly, take it with a grain of salt or two, but M51 got the highest A+ ranking on Stereophile's 2013 Recommended Components, beating several DAC's costing much more.

Nov 30, 2013 at 4:32 PM Post #1,659 of 2,605
I am using my Zana Deux SE as a preamp and it matches really well with my Zu Audio Omens when the L/H switch is se to H. It is connected to my Glenn Amp mono blocks, 300B. See this -> http://www.head-fi.org/t/600110/2359glenn-studio/6945#post_10021195

Dec 1, 2013 at 3:05 AM Post #1,660 of 2,605
  I also have both amps but am wondering if you find them complementary. Apart from the AD2000, which is tremendous with the Zana, I don't use it much. Have you tried using either as a pre into the other? 

Hi Eric:  There hasn't been much time to listen to the Zana but I immediately enjoy it so far.  Have not tried using one as a pre into the other yet.

Your question about the Zana complementing the BA (plus putting the ECC35 into the ZD for the first time tonight) has me doing some switching back and forth between amps.  
First, I definitely like the ECC35 in the Zana better than in the BA.  Second, my initial impressions are that the BA is more resolving and more refined with the Zana a bit more forward with a touch more "bite", though still quite "sweet".  The Zana can be a complement to the BA because it holds its own and has great tonality without needing to roll tubes the way I did in the Super 7 AND it has the type of spatial presentation that is hard to describe but just "does it" for me.  The Zana does have a bit of a different presentation but I can see each having their place and proponents of both. More time and recordings shall tell but I am loving both.

Good sign right now is that I quickly acclimate to either amp and am not compelled to switch, but just want to listen to music...

Dec 1, 2013 at 3:34 AM Post #1,661 of 2,605
I see some ZD owners use a PS Audio PWD Dac with their amp, others have a NAD M51. I currently use a Violectric V800. For those who have paired their ZDSE with either the PWD or M51, two questions: 1. what change in the sound might I experience with either of those compared to the V800? 
-AB

Hello, only had the V200/V800 in house for a week and barely listened to it so I can't compare.  I tried the NAD M51 in my Super 7 very briefly down at the SoCal meet so can't really compare to that one either, but all indications from friends who have it are very positive.

The reasons that I picked up a PWD (specifically Mk. I that was upgraded to Mk. II) is that I had heard the Mk I several times on purrin's BA rig and I never could get that rig out of my mind. The Mk I is a warm DAC and the Mk II upgrade with FW 2.0.2 is also warm and helps to mitigate issues with the HD800.  So it is a good choice if you have HD800 because of the tonality and the control through versions/firmware.  Also, there are several filters that can shape the sound (but much more subtly than the difference in firmware).  For some this is a curse, but now with much better documentation on the PS Audio site, some firmware versions that give you a good range to choose from, and filters on the DAC...the PWD has been a great choice for my system.  

I have since upgraded the FW from 2.0.2 to 2.4.3 and I am now enjoying the increased dynamism in the bass and a more extended treble that works well with the Zana already and with the BA.  (I also have some foam in my HD800 a la the Anax mod and have rolled tubes.) Keep in mind that the older FW 2.0.2 can only be used on older PWD Mk. I that have been upgraded to Mk. II in case you would like to have the 2.0.2 option.  It definitely sounds different and gives you more range in case you need it.

Dec 1, 2013 at 4:05 AM Post #1,662 of 2,605
Speaking of PWD MKII, does anyone know a good place to buy it for a reasonable price? Its MSRP is $4,000, but I think I read somewhere that it can be purchased at certain vendors for a lot less, around $2K-ish or something. I really want to audition the PWD MKII but couldn't find one at any meets I've been to.

Dec 1, 2013 at 4:07 AM Post #1,663 of 2,605
Speaking of PWD MKII, does anyone know a good place to buy it for a reasonable price? Its MSRP is $4,000, but I think I read somewhere that it can be purchased at certain vendors for a lot less, around $2K-ish or something. I really want to audition the PWD MKII but couldn't find one at any meets I've been to.

I'm selling one for $1900 obo, click on the link below.

Dec 1, 2013 at 7:19 AM Post #1,664 of 2,605
I'm selling one for $1900 obo, click on the link below.

Unfortunately, I live in South Korea so I need a 220-240V compatible unit. Still, thank you for letting me know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back