Eddie Current Zana Deux owners
Jul 11, 2008 at 8:05 PM Post #706 of 2,605
Random question Dr. T - how did you open her up? From the underside? I tried to do that but it appears the feet are blocking some screws. Are you able to open her up from underneath with the feet still attached? Thanks.

Jul 11, 2008 at 8:16 PM Post #707 of 2,605
Quote:

Originally Posted by recstar24 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Random question Dr. T - how did you open her up? From the underside? I tried to do that but it appears the feet are blocking some screws. Are you able to open her up from underneath with the feet still attached? Thanks.

Yes, I originally tried to open the top and was getting resistance. When I peaked under the lid I saw that all the circuitry is attached to the top lid. So I flipped it over and unscrewed the bottom lid. You have to unscrew the rubber feet to access a couple of the screws, but that is no problem. It seems that the design of the feet changed somewhere along the line, so yours may be different. I'm no electrician, but everything seems very solidly built, nice beefy solder points, etc. I don't know how the lead broke, I fear it took a spill somewhere in transit. The packaging was excellent, and the amp was in great shape for the recent NorCal meet, so no fault of Craig's. I just hope that everything works once my surgery is done.

Jul 11, 2008 at 8:44 PM Post #708 of 2,605
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. T /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, I originally tried to open the top and was getting resistance. When I peaked under the lid I saw that all the circuitry is attached to the top lid. So I flipped it over and unscrewed the bottom lid. You have to unscrew the rubber feet to access a couple of the screws, but that is no problem. It seems that the design of the feet changed somewhere along the line, so yours may be different. I'm no electrician, but everything seems very solidly built, nice beefy solder points, etc. I don't know how the lead broke, I fear it took a spill somewhere in transit. The packaging was excellent, and the amp was in great shape for the recent NorCal meet, so no fault of Craig's. I just hope that everything works once my surgery is done.

Ah, the rubber feet appear to be glued onto the chassis, and when I first received her, I was curious to get under the hood, but nothing is wrong whatsoever, just curious. I do not think I am able to unscrew the rubber feet though as they are glued on.

Jul 11, 2008 at 9:50 PM Post #709 of 2,605
Sorry to hear that, but fortunately it seems to be a straight forward fix. Hope you'll get your amp up and running really soon!

Jul 11, 2008 at 10:30 PM Post #710 of 2,605
Well, I am happy to announce that I will be apart of the August run. I would have been apart of July, if I hadn't let things such as bills and food take up my wallet.
biggrin.gif
Where are my priorities at. lol

Anyways, time to look for some tubes! It took me 3 months to decide between this, the apache, and the woo 6 se(well, not 3 months for this as it hasn't been out that long).

Jul 11, 2008 at 10:55 PM Post #711 of 2,605
Quote:

Originally Posted by number1sixerfan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I am happy to announce that I will be apart of the August run. I would have been apart of July, if I hadn't let things such as bills and food take up my wallet.
biggrin.gif
Where are my priorities at. lol

Anyways, time to look for some tubes! It took me 3 months to decide between this, the apache, and the woo 6 se(well, not 3 months for this as it hasn't been out that long).

Nice! Congrats!
smily_headphones1.gif
I guess you have done your research, but anyways...

Jul 11, 2008 at 11:53 PM Post #712 of 2,605
Dr T,

sorry to hear abt your amp... but hopefully won't take too much to get her up and running (or cycling as the case may be
biggrin.gif
)

just for fun what 6sl7 did you decide on to use 1st? And what cd??

yes i have too much time on my hands
rolleyes.gif

Jul 12, 2008 at 12:09 AM Post #713 of 2,605
Quote:

Originally Posted by nor_spoon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice! Congrats!
smily_headphones1.gif
I guess you have done your research, but anyways...

Yea, I've seen that thread. It's a great reference.

I should have also added in my earlier post that the only thing that almost stopped me from getting the ZD was that the balancing act and the HD3 will be due relatively soon. After talking to craig, I decided to go with the ZD now and the balanced HD3 later.

Jul 12, 2008 at 1:07 AM Post #714 of 2,605
Quote:

Originally Posted by number1sixerfan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yea, I've seen that thread. It's a great reference.

I should have also added in my earlier post that the only thing that almost stopped me from getting the ZD was that the balancing act and the HD3 will be due relatively soon. After talking to craig, I decided to go with the ZD now and the balanced HD3 later.

Too bad it won't be available for the Beavercreek OH meet on 8/2. Anybody else have one in the area?

Jul 12, 2008 at 2:17 AM Post #715 of 2,605
Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Camper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Too bad it won't be available for the Beavercreek OH meet on 8/1. Anybody else have one in the area?

It would if we moved it back!
smily_headphones1.gif
I'd be more than willing to lug it. I'm sure there are many who'd love to hear it! lol

Jul 12, 2008 at 2:18 AM Post #716 of 2,605
Quote:

Originally Posted by nghows /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dr T,

sorry to hear abt your amp... but hopefully won't take too much to get her up and running (or cycling as the case may be
biggrin.gif
)

just for fun what 6sl7 did you decide on to use 1st? And what cd??

yes i have too much time on my hands
rolleyes.gif

The resoldering job went off without a hitch this afternoon. We're making beautiful music now.

1st 6sl7: Brimar. No particular reason, it was just sitting there begging me.

1st CD: Nils Lofgren Acoustic Live. Amazing.

I'll post pics when I get a chance to upload.

Jul 12, 2008 at 6:19 AM Post #717 of 2,605
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. T /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The resoldering job went off without a hitch this afternoon. We're making beautiful music now.

1st 6sl7: Brimar. No particular reason, it was just sitting there begging me.

1st CD: Nils Lofgren Acoustic Live. Amazing.

I'll post pics when I get a chance to upload.

Do you plan on using, or already using, the ZD as a pre in your speaker rig? If so, would love to hear those impressions as well. I have not had the chance to hear the ZD as a preamp in a speaker rig, but Craig thinks very highly of its performance as a preamp; unfortunately, on a headphone forum we do not have too many comments on its preamp use.

Jul 12, 2008 at 8:05 AM Post #718 of 2,605
Quote:

Originally Posted by recstar24 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you plan on using, or already using, the ZD as a pre in your speaker rig? If so, would love to hear those impressions as well. I have not had the chance to hear the ZD as a preamp in a speaker rig, but Craig thinks very highly of its performance as a preamp; unfortunately, on a headphone forum we do not have too many comments on its preamp use.

The Zana makes a fantastic preamp. I've been running it into a Conrad-Johnson MV-52 and ProAc Response 2.5 clones. Sounds great!

Jul 13, 2008 at 10:39 PM Post #719 of 2,605
The ZD has a few hours under its belt now and my first impressions are that the thing is fast. The dynamics especially with stringed instruments are so quick that I have to keep looking at it to convince myself that it is indeed a tube amp. I would say that it has faster attack than my Arye V-3. Ironic that a tube amp would beat a SS amp in that department. The bass is not quite as deep or palpable, but you cant ask heaphones to stand up to 250 lb speakers for that.

As far as tube rolling goes, I have only listened to the Brimar 6sl7gty and the Tronal 6sl7gtu so far and I am still trying to flesh out differences. I am a tube noobie without question.

Here are a few pics:

Innards of the amp, upside down
2664985683_7393aa9424.jpg

My DIY solder repair. You are looking at the underside of the 6c33c socket
2665809056_3d2617c3bf.jpg

Amp with its new family
2664985833_d91a559bbc.jpg

The whole system
2664986101_c8af9881a7.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back