Eddie Current Zana Deux owners
May 23, 2007 at 4:32 AM Post #316 of 2,605
Yep, you already have those in. Glad those Nationals and 6su7 are working out for you. Still have to try a pair of the National but for now I am loving my Mullard. (not best synergy with k701 but it passes, great with RS-1) Keep Rollin'!

May 23, 2007 at 5:27 AM Post #317 of 2,605
I think the 6c33c was an earlier version of the 6c33c-b. I have yet to try the 6c33c's that I have but there are cosmetic differences. The logo/printing is slightly different but more importantly, the plates don't look the same. The shape and size appear identical but the stamping of the metal isn't the same. Knowing a little about Russian manufacturing, there wouldn't have been a change of suppliers like the plate difference would have indicated in a western company, this is a change in design. I could only guess if this change was made for improved performance or improved production reasons, It may indicate a change of materials too. But this could mean that a better material was available or became available. I really want to get a better handle on the heart of the Zana's sound before I try them though.
I'm still rolling the 6sl7 only this time I'm leaving each in for a week at a time. I really like them all. But, I still love the National Union.

May 24, 2007 at 11:39 PM Post #319 of 2,605
Well, the Cardas Golden Cuboids really seem to be making the difference where the K701's are concerned. Sitting under the Zana's feet, I have better bass, more dynamics, and just better musicality out of the 701's. Once again I'll emphasize that this is to my ears. I don't think it's wishful thinking but who knows. But lets put it this way - The National Union was okay but not great with the K701's before the Cardas cubes - but now I'm falling in line with ironbut and thinking it is my favorite. And I'm happy with my K701's again.

edit: and hey, 1000 posts! cool....

A_Sr.

May 25, 2007 at 12:58 AM Post #320 of 2,605
that will be a funny pic: my metal/black-glass desk, next to a gray colored file cabinet, the zana deux and.... wood blocks! I'm in good enough mood to try it out...

btw... i'm looking for some nationals... any advice would be good.

i'd be in on the group buy if you organize it Dr.J

May 25, 2007 at 2:28 AM Post #321 of 2,605
There are several versions of the National Union VT229. The ones that I like are 1940's vintage. It looks a little different from the others. It has a gray coating that starts about 1/4" above the black base and goes to the top with a round clear "window" on the very top. There are 7 clear vertical lines all the way around the tube. The first one I got is a Jan-CNU-6SL7GT. The ones I just got are not JAN but look identical. Marked simply 6SL7GT. The gray coating is what to look for but in some pic's I've seen, it almost looks black. I don't think that they're rare. I've seen them on the 'bay a few times.

May 25, 2007 at 2:48 AM Post #322 of 2,605
Quote:

Originally Posted by ironbut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are several versions of the National Union VT229. The ones that I like are 1940's vintage. It looks a little different from the others. It has a gray coating that starts about 1/4" above the black base and goes to the top with a round clear "window" on the very top. There are 7 clear vertical lines all the way around the tube. The first one I got is a Jan-CNU-6SL7GT. The ones I just got are not JAN but look identical. Marked simply 6SL7GT. The gray coating is what to look for but in some pic's I've seen, it almost looks black. I don't think that they're rare. I've seen them on the 'bay a few times.

Yep, that's the one. I got mine from Brent Jessee:

http://www.audiotubes.com/6sl7.htm

A_Sr.

Jun 1, 2007 at 3:34 AM Post #323 of 2,605
Hey guys, I finally tried a rectifier change and it really helped out in regards to the k701. After reading granodemostasa's impressions I got a pair of GE 6da4, which added a lot of punch and weight (tonally speaking) when using the k701. Not so lifeless and brittle as I am used to. Nothing so apparent with the RS-1, a good thing because I love the ZD with them already!

Jun 1, 2007 at 4:17 AM Post #324 of 2,605
Quote:

Originally Posted by asebastian0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey guys, I finally tried a rectifier change and it really helped out in regards to the k701. After reading granodemostasa's impressions I got a pair of GE 6da4, which added a lot of punch and weight (tonally speaking) when using the k701. Not so lifeless and brittle as I am used to. Nothing so apparent with the RS-1, a good thing because I love the ZD with them already!

Interesting. I'll have to go shopping. Although I'm much happier with the K701's now that I've got the Cardas cubes along with the 6SU7GTY, anything additional I can get is icing on the cake. And here's a weird one - my experience with all of my other Eddie Current stuff was that copper interconnects were the way to go. Well, I just got a pair of Moon Audio Blue Dragon silvers, and though they aren't burned in by any means, they have already made a difference. I was not sure what to expect, but bass is good - firm, tight and musical. Mids are excellent. Right now the highs can be a tad sharp, but everything I read says that will improve with time. So much for experience. I guess this just goes to show me that I should try anything at least once.

So keeping to a budget, which Grados should I go for - SR 225's or 325i's? Don't say RS1's - I can't afford the divorce right now....

A_Sr.

Jun 1, 2007 at 4:07 PM Post #325 of 2,605
Well, traditionally people would have said sr225 but now there tends to be a contingent of people who prefer the sr325. I found the 325 to be way too bright and the 225 would have been a much better match for me personally. The 325 seemed to have an over-emphasis on highs and hyper-detail which I did not like, YMMV.

I am using a combination of silver and copper cables now, I remember putting the silver cables in I was impressed as well. They seem to mate well with the lightning-fast nature of the ZD.

I will be getting some of the Cardas Cubes along with a purchase next week. Hopefully I don't like them too much, that Cardas Myrtle Silver Heart Cartridge is looking very nice and I love matching gear!

Jun 1, 2007 at 9:52 PM Post #326 of 2,605
Quote:

Originally Posted by recstar24 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
that is the most beautiful amp I have ever seen...damn it

Have to admit, the amp is nice, but seeing those knobs, thats the biggest turn-off, how can they choose something like that ? Looks like something from a 1957 VW dashboard.

Jun 2, 2007 at 4:46 AM Post #328 of 2,605
Curious... ironbut: do you use one of the metal or wood ones from that page? I find even the plastic supplied tubes get hot after an hour or so (probably closer to 2-3 hrs now that I think of it). Do you use the wood ones and if so, do they dissipate heat faster than the plastic ones? Same goes for metal as well. I am thinking plastic might be the best in this regard... or really thick wood or metal.

Jun 2, 2007 at 5:35 AM Post #329 of 2,605
I ordered a pair of the ebony ones. I have the ones that came with the dress plate ( chicken head ) ones on right now. I've had my ZD on for 5 hours now and the right one is warm but not hot. The left is cool. Heat never entered my mind but ebony is very high density and as such, it could crack with enough heat over time. I doubt it though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back