Eddie Current Zana Deux owners
Apr 11, 2007 at 6:24 AM Post #286 of 2,605
Excellent! Glad to hear that you found some. Even if the changes are subtle, it does give us another tube position to tailor the sound to different ears/cans. To me, the better amps are not trying to sound like a tube amp or a ss amp or whatever. You either agree with the designers "take" on how reproduced music should sound or you don't. Craig's choice of components, which includes tube type, are going to make his amps "lean" toward the voicing he chose for them. So, subtile differences are fine with me.

Apr 24, 2007 at 12:23 AM Post #287 of 2,605
I'm starting to figure out what it is that rectifier tubes do.

I came home from the national meet and found a box, new tubes! well, as it turns out, after hearing this pretty sure that rectifier tubes affect 1, the overall charity and preciseness of the images and 2, the power that goes into the dynamics.

1. Sylvania 6da4a= absurdly clean, like solid state clean and precise. I've never heard any tube amp this clean before.

2. GE 6da4= powerful, and somewhat clean and precise. it was my show tubes and got some pretty good responses. It is the prefect balance, imho.

3. The ICE 6da4a= very powerful, less than perfect imaging. It pushes the amp in the sonic direction of the Woo audio 5 or Singlepower amps.

conclusions: this thing is still the zana deux, just a different version of it.

May 3, 2007 at 2:21 AM Post #288 of 2,605
And finally, after a long time waiting (at least to me it was), I have my Zana Deux. And, because I have a new camera as well, here's some shots:

front.jpg

top.jpg

rear.jpg

The new 6DT4 rectifiers:

6dt4.jpg

And the new glossy dress plate and knobs. I haven't fitted them yet but they look good:

dressplate.jpg

I've been listening to her for a few days, but still am not prepared to give full impressions. It is definitely the best amp I've owned by a large margin. I will plan on giving a detailed review when I have my head completely around the ZD. You other owners already know - I'm still growing into mine.

A_Sr.

May 3, 2007 at 5:19 PM Post #290 of 2,605
Quote:

Originally Posted by Absorbine_Sr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And finally, after a long time waiting (at least to me it was), I have my Zana Deux. And, because I have a new camera as well, here's some shots:

front.jpg

top.jpg

rear.jpg

The new 6DT4 rectifiers:

6dt4.jpg

And the new glossy dress plate and knobs. I haven't fitted them yet but they look good:

dressplate.jpg

I've been listening to her for a few days, but still am not prepared to give full impressions. It is definitely the best amp I've owned by a large margin. I will plan on giving a detailed review when I have my head completely around the ZD. You other owners already know - I'm still growing into mine.

A_Sr.

It's great to hear that your amp has arrived. It is a beauty, isn't it. I hope you enjoy it as much as I've enjoyed mine.

May 4, 2007 at 1:31 AM Post #291 of 2,605
Quote:

front.jpg

http://www.s93913010.onlinehome.us/top.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://www.s93913010.onlinehome.us/rear.jpg[IMG]

The new 6DT4 rectifiers:

[IMG]http://www.s93913010.onlinehome.us/6dt4.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://www.s93913010.onlinehome.us/dressplate.jpg[IMG]

A_Sr.[/i]
[/td] [/tr] [/table]

Those two black cylinder are capacitors right? Did they change from one version to another? Because the pics of Zana Deux on Craig's website show them as equal height, but yours look to be of different height?

May 4, 2007 at 2:55 AM Post #292 of 2,605
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zuerst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Those two black cylinder are capacitors right? Did they change from one version to another? Because the pics of Zana Deux on Craig's website show them as equal height, but yours look to be of different height?

They are of different heights, but I don't know the reason. I'll have to ask Craig when I next communicate with him. Or someone here will know.

So far the Mullard 6SL7 GT that I bought from braillediver last week is sounding the best. I'm probably also going to experiment with different rectifiers since granodemostasa seems to have had luck there. Impressions right now are that I like it, but I still have some things to get accustomed to. I'll give more detail as I develop it myself.

And velogreg - come to Milwaukee next month and you can listen all you want!!

A_Sr.

May 4, 2007 at 3:05 AM Post #293 of 2,605
That is very strange about the heights, mine is from this run and they are of equal heights.

A question about that Mullard 6sl7: Is it larger than your other 6sl7's? I have a tube labeled Mullard 6sl7 which is about 25-35% larger than the rest of my 6sl7, curious as to whether your's is a similar type.

I am putting the finishing touches for a review on a very special 6c33c variant that I am pretty excited about. Hopefully done by this weekend just want to make sure I'm not hyping myself up on its rarity or whatever, trying to be scientific.

NM on the pic just follow the link here (forget how to post pic):
http://www.goodsoundclub.com/Site_Im...C18C_6C33C.jpg

Here's the link to the thread, there is some cool information about history, etc. Mine actually predates the one shown on the left and may be structurally different. Still figuring it out.
http://www.goodsoundclub.com/GetPost.aspx?PostID=2297

May 4, 2007 at 3:28 AM Post #294 of 2,605
Quote:

Originally Posted by asebastian0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That is very strange about the heights, mine is from this run and they are of equal heights.

A question about that Mullard 6sl7: Is it larger than your other 6sl7's? I have a tube labeled Mullard 6sl7 which is about 25-35% larger than the rest of my 6sl7, curious as to whether your's is a similar type.

Actually, no. It's basically the same size as my others. You can see it in braillediver's for sale ad - it's the first one pictured.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showpo...71&postcount=1

A_Sr.

May 4, 2007 at 4:43 AM Post #295 of 2,605
Quote:

Originally Posted by asebastian0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I am putting the finishing touches for a review on a very special 6c33c variant that I am pretty excited about. Hopefully done by this weekend just want to make sure I'm not hyping myself up on its rarity or whatever, trying to be scientific.

NM on the pic just follow the link here (forget how to post pic):
http://www.goodsoundclub.com/Site_Im...C18C_6C33C.jpg

Here's the link to the thread, there is some cool information about history, etc. Mine actually predates the one shown on the left and may be structurally different. Still figuring it out.
http://www.goodsoundclub.com/GetPost.aspx?PostID=2297

so there is a variant to the 6c33... my eyes are open!

May 4, 2007 at 10:48 AM Post #296 of 2,605
Congrats, Mike, (you don't mess around), enjoy the Zana!

Quote:

dressplate.jpg

dress the ZD up!
smily_headphones1.gif

unequal heights: I bet one cap sits a bit lower in the chassis.

May 4, 2007 at 11:37 AM Post #298 of 2,605
Quote:

Shhhhh.... I had just decided I was going to tell everyone that this is the new implementation of an extra virgin olive oil in papyrus cap and that my Zana is the only one that has it.....
evil_smiley.gif
icon10.gif

A_Sr.

OK
tongue.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif

(everyone what's that over there..... [size=xx-small](It's probably an easy adjustment, but ask Craig first)[/size].

May 12, 2007 at 6:27 PM Post #299 of 2,605
I got my Zana #12 the day before Headfest and have done a good bit of rolling of the 6sl7. I included the AT ad2000's in the title because I think there is a great synergy with these cans and the ZD. I started with 8 tubes but half of them were lesser versions of the final 4 that I picked up for cheap hoping to find a bargain tube to recommend ( when talking about a $2k amp saving a couple of $10 didn't make much sense though). These tests were with the Tung-sol 6dt4 rectifiers Craig supplied with the amp. The amp has well over 200 hours on it and the source is my modded Technics rs1500 reel to reel tape with orchestral and acoustic jazz recordings.
the finalists were; Sylvania Jan-CHS-6sl7GT/VT229 1950's, Tung-sol CTL SU7GTY 1950's, National JAN-CNU-6sl7GT/VT229 1940's, and RCA 5691 red base 1940's.
Sylvania-seemed the most detailed. I would characterize this tube as fast and clear. Easily the most transparent of the 4. Imaging was precise but the soundstage wasn't quite as wide and deep as the others. It was a bit lean though and personally as an all rounder, I prefer a bit more meat on the bones( fuller sound ). Tied with the National on treble extension.
Tun-sol; this is the tube that I expected to be my fav' after reading lots of posts on tube forums. It was the one that I used at the National as I didn't have time to burn in more than one. It is, in fact, probably the most balanced and all-rounder of the bunch. Wonderful soundstage, punchy bass, and a full smooth presentation. It isn't as resolving or transparent as the Sylvania or National though and seems a touch veiled.I think that this is a perfect example of the failings of A/B testing. If I'd never heard the other tubes, I never would have thought that it was veiled at all. I think it does have the best bass>lower mids of the group. I really like what it does with brass instrument, bringing them a bit forward and showing a lot of texture. I think if I listened primarily to jazz, this would be the tube I'd use,.. if it weren't for the National!
National-this was a huge surprise! The above tubes are easily the most highly touted 6sl7 types. The National was mentioned here and there as right up there with them but never raved about. The freq. response is balanced with no obvious peaks or dips. The transparency is very close if not the same as the Sylvania but the bass and mids are fuller. It doesn't quite have the bass extension of the Tung-sol but unless your looking for it, I'd never notice. It is smooth but not creamy like the RCA. What it does, that none of the others do, is magic! It puts a spotlight on musical line and follows the melody though whatever instrument the conductor chooses. This is apparent with concertos when there is interplay between say, the solo violin and the oboe, then the oboe and the french horn, to the french horn and the violin again. With jazz, the soloist pulls himself out of the crowd and there is more air around him till his solo ends. This tube is just heaven with female vocalists too. This tube in the context of my system, is musical to the extreme so I really had to force myself to evaluate what I was hearing. It was the last tube I tried and I thought that the Zana had gone through some milestone in burn in so I went back an forth with it and the Tung-sol and Sylvania.
RCA- this one's almost in a category all it's own. A little background first. Some folks have said that the ZD is not a tubey sounding amp. I agree. Neither is any of the tube gear in my speaker rig. It is the best, musical amp that I can afford though. I've had some very good ss gear ( Pass Labs X350) which sounded very good and does some things better than the tube gear I have now ( Conrad Johnson Premeir 140 ) but the tube gear has strengths which I won't do without. That said, the RCA breaks the mold and lends some of that classic tubey sound to the Zana. As said before, it has a smooth, creamy presentation. Highs never hurt, even if it's on the recording, and the bass is rounded and rolled off. This give it that phatt tube sound that musicians love in their instrument amps. It has great depth and a slightly narrow soundstage and is more veiled than the Tung-sol. But, it is a very pleasing sound and reminds me a little of a super, upgraded ASL mg head. A much more relaxed and laid back sound than any of the others that hails back to the classic Marantz tube gear. This tube does the most to change the overall character of the Zana and would be perfect for listening to when you really need to concentrate on something else at the same time.
I could easily live with any of the above but my preference for the National is obvious. I could offer opinions on which is better with rock or other electronic music, but I hate it when folks step outside of their realm of experience.
Once again, these impressions are with the ad2000 only! And with the 6 dt4 rectifiers ( although, I'll follow granodemostasa's lead and start to roll it as well).

May 12, 2007 at 8:54 PM Post #300 of 2,605
I'm quite surprized you found the 6su7 to be veiled. I actually considered the Syl vt-229 to be kind of hazy. I guess it just goes to show how different tubes react to different headphones. good luck on your journey.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back