Eddie Current Zana Deux owners
May 15, 2019 at 12:31 PM Post #2,537 of 2,605
I have a Mullard ECC35 as well as an RCA 5691 red base. Listen with the ZMF Verite not the HD650, but to my ear, the Mullard is a very rich and warm tube, treble is slightly rolled off, bass is a bit more present, a bit more of that “tube” sound. Whereas the RCA is drier, more clinical, and with a bit more treble.

May 15, 2019 at 12:45 PM Post #2,538 of 2,605
I have a Mullard ECC35 as well as an RCA 5691 red base. Listen with the ZMF Verite not the HD650, but to my ear, the Mullard is a very rich and warm tube, treble is slightly rolled off, bass is a bit more present, a bit more of that “tube” sound. Whereas the RCA is drier, more clinical, and with a bit more treble.
Didn't know the driver tube would make such a difference to warm up the sound. I personally appreciate that ZDS isn't really warm. 5691 would likely be the tube that would jive with me, but curious if the ECC35 is able to present a more realistic timbre with a longer decay.

In general does timbre change much at all? Particularly with the Utopia? Is there a tube that sounds to be most realistic timbre out of the Utopia?

Last edited:
May 15, 2019 at 3:22 PM Post #2,539 of 2,605
Didn't know the driver tube would make such a difference to warm up the sound. I personally appreciate that ZDS isn't really warm. 5691 would likely be the tube that would jive with me, but curious if the ECC35 is able to present a more realistic timbre with a longer decay.

In general does timbre change much at all? Particularly with the Utopia? Is there a tube that sounds to be most realistic timbre out of the Utopia?

The red base was best for me with the Utopia. Was a little bright with other tubes.

Mar 2, 2020 at 11:40 AM Post #2,540 of 2,605
Wow, I can’t believe there have been no postings to this thread since May of last year!

Im looking for some guidance about ideal driver tubes For my HD800’s and also: has anyone paired the ZD with the new Grado GS3000e’s and, if so, how might it compare to the HD 800’s?

Any and all info appreciated and thanks,

John

Mar 3, 2020 at 7:31 AM Post #2,541 of 2,605
ZDS has been out of production for a while, likely why there have been no new posts here. Have you read though this thread on Zana Deux tube rolling:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ec-zana-deux-tube-rolling-pls-share.297795/

I absolutely enjoy HD800 on ZDS. I've no experience with the Grado, however ZDS does do well with low-impedance "sharp" headphones like Utopia in the low impedance output mode. Most people prefer high impedance headphones like Sennheiser or ZMF.

Mar 3, 2020 at 7:59 AM Post #2,542 of 2,605
Thank you, Sheldaze, for responding. Yes, I must be a dinosaur as I have ZD #4!

Its been some time since I’ve listened to my ZD, forgot about the tube rolling thread and will check into it. From my stash, I switched from a Sylvania vt229 bad boy to a black plate Jan tung sol, last night and bingo, the HD800’s immediately began to sing.

I read that the Grado GS3000e is the best hp they’ve ever made, read how musical and holographic they are, but, geez, they sure are pricey, wouldn’t like to spend that kind of money if they’re only marginally better. Unfortunately, I haven’t been able to find a comparison between these and the hd800’s, nor any feedback with the ZD.

Thanks,

John

Mar 3, 2020 at 9:18 AM Post #2,543 of 2,605
ZDS has been out of production for a while, likely why there have been no new posts here. Have you read though this thread on Zana Deux tube rolling:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ec-zana-deux-tube-rolling-pls-share.297795/

I absolutely enjoy HD800 on ZDS. I've no experience with the Grado, however ZDS does do well with low-impedance "sharp" headphones like Utopia in the low impedance output mode. Most people prefer high impedance headphones like Sennheiser or ZMF.
Luv me HD800S with it as well! I bet the biggest sound stage you can get of the HD800S with large ear slapping bass area. Mids sounds lush so vocals sound fuller as well, because generally HD800S shows a upper-mids recessed response.

Mar 3, 2020 at 9:32 AM Post #2,544 of 2,605
however ZDS does do well with low-impedance "sharp" headphones like Utopia in the low impedance output mode
I’m a new owner of a ZDS and I’m very interested in trying a low impedance “sharp” headphone, but Utopia is out of my price range currently. I’m wondering if anyone has tried Elex instead?
Maybe @Sniperpr5 can chime in here.

I previously owned HD800 but I’m not interested in going back to it.
I do have ZMF Blackwood Auteur and it is an excellent match especially on high impedance output.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2020 at 11:22 AM Post #2,545 of 2,605
I previously owned HD800 but I’m not interested in going back to it.
I do have ZMF Blackwood Auteur and it is an excellent match especially on high impedance output.
I'm not the biggest fan of HD800 or S in general, and it might have been due to when I was younger is when I first tried the HD800 out of a typical solid-state. After many years, perhaps my ears are more rolled off in the highs.

I can still hear solid-state brightness out of HDV820 or PhonitorX, but ZDS is different, it's like a super Bottle Head Crack. It does to HD800, what the crack did to HD600 IMO. 800 should be more tolerable, but still just as quick as it should be. Bass responds very fast.

It's just really interesting with something like HD800 that it's worth a trial.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2020 at 1:25 PM Post #2,546 of 2,605
I ran into another headphone that ZDS brings out the best of. Fostex TH900, the peak edginess is slight reduced as well. The amp pushes for strong push in the bottom end. I find that TH900 needs an amp to push out the bass potential it has.

I recently replaced my rectifier tubes with new ones, and the sound is fresher. I notice when tubes are brand new, initially the tubes sound a veiled, and then sounds harder edged after a bit, which I believe is meant by tubes 'opening up?'

I use red base 5691 as driver. I find it to bring out the best of the amp.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2020 at 2:17 AM Post #2,547 of 2,605
I ran into another headphone that ZDS brings out the best of. Fostex TH900, the peak edginess is slight reduced as well. The amp pushes for strong push in the bottom end. I find that TH900 needs an amp to push out the bass potential it has.

I recently replaced my rectifier tubes with new ones, and the sound is fresher. I notice when tubes are brand new, initially the tubes sound a veiled, and then sounds harder edged after a bit, which I believe is meant by tubes 'opening up?'

I use red base 5691 as driver. I find it to bring out the best of the amp.

Yes. I found the synergy between TH900 and ZDS to be superb. I believe MuppetFace, who so lovingly initiated the TH900 thread here so many years ago, also used an original Zana Deux. I lost several nights of sleep listening to the combination. 5691 is indeed a good call here.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2020 at 1:38 PM Post #2,550 of 2,605
I also just joined the club with my Zana Deux Super... #121. I rolled 5 driver tubes and RCA red base 5691 was easily the best of the bunch for me. I am a little bit curious about Sophia and Mullard ECC35, but what I am hearing with the red base 5691 is so special, I don't really have much motivation to try.

The pairing with HD-800 is simply off the charts good. Synergistic magic!

ZanaDeux-1.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back