Eddie Current Super 7 (Prototype) impressions and pics
May 13, 2011 at 2:28 AM Post #17 of 101

Quote:
this could be a tube rollers dream amp as you can mix different tubes providing there are in pairs for the three sets of output tubes. This could provided users to optimize the sound to their liking .  

He used those exact words when he described it..
Damn you all! I didn't plan on using headphones at home, I only planned on buying the Triad Audio Valve Code, then I go to this Venice meet and hear this EPIC amp (my HD800's didn't workout to well portable, so they sit at home) and how well it powers the HD800's now I have to have one!

May 13, 2011 at 1:48 PM Post #18 of 101

Quote:

I got to hear the HD800 out of the Zana Deux too. The HD800 from the Super 7 is a completely different presentation. The presentation out of the Zana Deux is that of the more typical HD800 experience, which may not be your cup of tea. I didn't check to see what tubes Dallan was using though. The ZD was faster, more transparent, had sharper details and more extension, but didn't have as much body and wasn't even close with bass impact compared to the Super 7. (Personally, I think the bass could be turned down a hair on the Super 7 as it was configured there at the meet.)

I agree with this.  The 7 had a warmer presentation, totally different.  It seemed less transparent and less instrument separation.  I is really apples and oranges though, it was so different.  I think the Zana was more dynamic but the 7 was maybe more gentle and fluid with the warmth.  

The tube in the Zana Deux was a Valvo.

May 19, 2011 at 12:54 AM Post #25 of 101

Quote:
I heard that it was designed for things like the HE-6 but that when he triad the K1000s he was not 100% happy with the combo but I have not heard the combo so I can't speak for myself.

I was standing right there when he listened to the K1000's, when they started clipping he looked VERY disappointed, but the K1000's were designed to be run straight out of the speaker outputs of an amp so he really shouldn't beat himself up, that amp LIGHTS UP the HD800's I have never heard them sound so good! 

May 25, 2011 at 11:08 AM Post #27 of 101
Any update on possible timing or other information?

May 25, 2011 at 12:10 PM Post #29 of 101
This is what he had to say

The Super 7 will be released first as a single pair unbalanced input, balanced output 4 pin, and unbalanced 1/4” headphone amplifier. I am just waiting for samples of a double C core output transformer to test. Will keep you on the notification list, and let you know when production gets closer.

Jun 4, 2011 at 5:44 AM Post #30 of 101
It seems that the Super 7 would do justice for the HD800. If anyone could chime in, how's the changes in HD800 sound presentation compared to the LCD-2? Wondering whether the HD800 could compete with the fluid organic sound of the orthos. Thanks.      

Users who are viewing this thread

Back