Eddie Current Super 7 (Prototype) impressions and pics
Jun 5, 2011 at 4:22 AM Post #31 of 101
The Super 7 made the HD800s and LCD2s sound more alike. They converged toward each other - with the HD800 converging more in the direction of the LCD2 than the other way around - being softer in the treble (and lacking some air) with incredible bass slam. However, I didn't think the Super 7 (with its tube complement at the meet) provided the LCD2 with the most controlled, defined, tightest, and fastest bass compared to a few other amps I've heard or owned.

I'm exactly not sure what you mean by "fluid organic sound" because the HD800s can be plenty that with the right DAC and amp. But if you already prefer certain qualities (delicateness, lack of grain, clarity, etc.) of the LCD-2 that you do not feel exists on the HD800, then you are probably better off sticking with the LCD-2.

Jun 5, 2011 at 4:46 PM Post #32 of 101
This is what i heard too......

Quote:
The Super 7 made the HD800s and LCD2s sound more alike. They converged toward each other - with the HD800 converging more in the direction of the LCD2 than the other way around - being softer in the treble (and lacking some air) with incredible bass slam. 

Jun 6, 2011 at 12:58 PM Post #33 of 101

Quote:
This is what i heard too......

Ditto.  I'm sure those weren't the best tubes for the LCD2 though but the euphony was startling w/ the HD800.  That really made me appreciate what the HD800 is capable of.

Jun 8, 2011 at 2:30 PM Post #34 of 101
I am sure this amp does sound great.  But can you afford the tubes?

Without casting any aspersions on Eddy Current, this could be an expensive proposition if one was planning to run NOS 6SN7GTs or the new "high quality" production brands like the Treasures.  Unless you have a large stash of NOS 6SN7GTs already, finding 3 decent matched pairs + 1 single of NOS will be very hard as the market is saturated with crap at all price ranges.  There are a few high quality NOS sellers out there, who are known only by word of mouth, and tubes from them will cost a lot more.  That leaves the treasures.  6SN7GTAs and B's are cheaper, to be sure, but the quality varies widely and most sellers have no idea what they have and/or don't even own a tester.

One thing is for sure, the driver will matter a lot.

It could easily run a person $750-$1,000 for the 6SN7 tubes, no?

Something to think about at least and do some research.

Jun 9, 2011 at 6:15 PM Post #36 of 101
I see your point about the cost of 6SN7 tubes, but I am still very intrigued by this amp, which would be my first tube amp, because of what it appears to be able to do for the HD800.  Also, it seemed to do a good job in this regard with 6 cheap and easily obtained 6SN7 tubes and one expensive NOS tube, so maybe the tube cost does not have to be in the stratosphere. 

If anyone has any update on possible timing or any other news, I am all ears.

Jun 9, 2011 at 10:27 PM Post #38 of 101

Quote:
Also, it seemed to do a good job in this regard with 6 cheap and easily obtained 6SN7 tubes and one expensive NOS tube, so maybe the tube cost does not have to be in the stratosphere. 

I'm not sure what Craig's final pricing would be, but he usually includes low-modestly priced tubes with his amps. To duplicate the setup at the meet, you'd just need a good driver tube - the TSRP run what now? Around $250? Less if you look hard.

Quote:
...It could easily run a person $750-$1,000 for the 6SN7 tubes, no?

Heh. If one decided to plop down that much on some good tubes, it would be one helluva amp.

The other thing to keep in mind is the possibility of running combinations of 6SN7, e.g. a smooth sounding tube, and a fast sounding tube, and a cheapo tube. Maybe we could run a combination of a bunch of cheaper tubes with certain strengths that minimized each others weaknesses. We would never know what we would end up with; and this would be a large part of the fun with this amp. Also, it's my understanding that you could even run 2 or 4 driver tubes.

---

Finally, I should clarify that the LCD-2 sounded very very good out of that amp. Very dynamic and lively, not dull, which has been my experience with the LCD-2 from most amps. So it's not just the HD800s that sounded good. The only headphone I heard on it (and we listened to a lot of them) that sounded bad was the ED9 (too much bass, kinda like Darths)

Jun 15, 2011 at 6:26 PM Post #40 of 101

Quote:
If he comes to market at 1500.00 with that speaker amp and headphone amp he would sell many of them. It looks so interesting and I would love more info on these  neat looking amps

No speaker terminals I believe.  The upgraded version will have pre-outs last I heard.

Aug 20, 2011 at 10:49 AM Post #42 of 101
Dear Marv,   Can we use the 6SL7's or 6f8g's with the Super 7 amplifier?
I think if we can, we can reduce the cost of the 7 6SN7's more e.g. Tungsol 6SU7GTY will be less
than half the price of the Tungsol black glass round plate with almost the same sound quality.
I also think with more experience of tube rolling that you have posted we can also reduce the cost
of the tubes with better result.  I recently owned the ECBA which I think it's the best headphone amplifier
however when you mentioned that the Super 7 come close to the ECBA with probably less than 40% the price
make me think hard how to accomodate one too.   I owned the ZDT before but I never think the LCD2 rev1 (and rev2)
will have such quality when driven by the ECBA and I am sure that other headphones that I have will be better too.
I am now listening to the Sennheiser HD800 once more and I really like it much better now.

Aug 20, 2011 at 3:00 PM Post #43 of 101

Quote:
Can we use the 6SL7's or 6f8g's with the Super 7 amplifier?

That would be a good question, I'll have Anaxilus ask Craig. It certainly would open up more possibilities with less expense. Also, it remains to be seen whether it will be a one box solution or if it will offer speaker outs.

Quote:
I also think with more experience of tube rolling that you have posted we can also reduce the cost
of the tubes with better result. 

Yup. We only spent a one day with a limited number of tunes, but Anaxilus had already done a lot of prep work are arrived with a baseline. All the output tubes we used were dirt cheap though, as that was the intent. Total cost was about $100. The KenRad and Brimar that we used for input tubes are about the same cost as the output tubes. So total $200.

Quote:
I recently owned the ECBA which I think it's the best headphone amplifier
however when you mentioned that the Super 7 come close to the ECBA with probably less than 40% the price
make me think hard how to accomodate one too.  

Well it came close in the context of emulating the tonal balance of the HD800 out of my particular setup with the EML300Bs. I would have more doubts about getting close to the speed and clarity of the BA running PX4s. But assuming that I intended to setup a rig around the HD800, than I would agree with that statement (with the prototype used) - it would certainly make me think twice about spending $3000 more.

Aug 20, 2011 at 3:27 PM Post #44 of 101
Purrin,

Thanks very much for the reference to your description of tube-rolling.  I enjoyed reading it.

Any information on Craig's timing?  I don't want to drive him nuts, but I can't stop myself from emailing him about once a month; however, it's too early to send him the next request for an update.

Aug 20, 2011 at 3:53 PM Post #45 of 101
I wouldn't think Craig would be using high plate voltage for the input tube, so I would guess the 6SL7 could be used as a driver.
I think it would be the same for the output tubes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back