Eddie Current Equilibrato
Jan 12, 2010 at 12:12 AM Post #16 of 59
Interesting......but is this just a ZDT designed with different tubes? Will the SQ really be that different from a ZDT/ZD say for a HD800?

Jan 12, 2010 at 12:30 AM Post #17 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by wower /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How does that work exactly then? Is it two windings off each transformer?

A transformer output is inherently balanced by virtue of the fact that it is a transformer. From what has been reported elsewhere, this is the usual topology of a "standard" series feed output transformer, (with a primary and secondary), except the secondary is more usually tied to ground (for safety reasons) rather than left "floating".

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frihed89 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
??? SE= single-ended (as opposed to PP?) output tube ???

Yes.

Quote:

???Tube circuit=??? What tube? Are you talking about the input/driver stage?

Yes, SE input/driver/gain stage, SE output stage.

Quote:

What is so unusual about a single-ended OPT coupled amp?

Nothing. Nothing at all.

Jan 12, 2010 at 2:26 AM Post #19 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by tako_tsubo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting......but is this just a ZDT designed with different tubes? Will the SQ really be that different from a ZDT/ZD say for a HD800?

The Equilibrato is different, the Zana Deux is an OTL amp and the ZDT has transformer output which will also drive speakers. I think from a design standpoint, it is closer to the Balancing Act than the ZDT. According to Craig, the Equilibrato sounds better than the ZDT, but is strictly a headphone amp.

I haven't heard it with the HD800, but would love to, especially balanced.

Jan 12, 2010 at 5:48 AM Post #20 of 59
i've not seen craig or steve since canjam 09 -- it's been a long while since i hung out with these guys and it was great chewing the fat, which i did a heck of a lot more of than listening.

the equilibrato
probably as most of you, i am taken by the look of this amp. i really like the industrial retro look and black on black color scheme. the chassis looks even more impressive in person.

my time with the equilibrato wasn't all that long and listening was what I'd deem critical, but given the vast majority of important components were my own, i can safely say this is one fine sounding headphone amplifier and considering the price, a huge bang for the buck. while listening to "in my room" by the beach boys, it made the hairs on my arm stand at attention, which is always a good sign because to me that means it's sounding close to the real thing or what i'd imagine it to sound like. a nice surprise was that this was the very first time i liked the w5000s after numerous auditions and i'd wholly attribute that to the way the equilibrato drove them.

i've spent a fair amount of time listening to the ZD, albeit a long, long time ago, and based on my audio memory, for what it's worth, the equilibrato doesn't really remind me of ZD. the only production BA i heard was at canjam 09 and the room was so freaking loud i couldn't gleam much of anything... however, i've heard a few BA prototypes and though, i didn't like it with the 45s or 300bs, i seriously wanted to buy one after i heard it with the 307As. the equilibrato seems to be more of a sonic cousin to the BA than the ZD and the 307A BA (proto that i heard) i believe scaled higher than them both, but you can get close for substantially less coin with the equilibrato.

Jan 12, 2010 at 6:11 AM Post #21 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by Parafeed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A transformer output is inherently balanced by virtue of the fact that it is a transformer.

Okay. Draw me a picture. I still don't get it.
confused_face(1).gif

Jan 12, 2010 at 8:50 AM Post #22 of 59
That's really cool Zippy .... but I'm waiting for the Rhombic Dodecahedron.
atsmile.gif

Serious, congrats on the new amp. So you got number 1 ? Has a more intimate-feel with the centered tubes, ed's cool inverted triangle.
smily_headphones1.gif
Those PX-4s look awww-some !! Hope you enjoy, keep us posted.

Jan 12, 2010 at 4:11 PM Post #23 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by fkclo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would be interested to know too, especially since both the Balancing Act and the Equilibrato SE have very similar features and tube choice.

F. Lo

Here is Craig's explanation of the differences between the Equilibrato SE and the Balancing Act.

"The Equilibrato SE has only front panel headphone outputs, the BA has balanced line outputs, and headphone line switching. The BA also adds a 4 pin XLR for both dual, and single balanced connections. The BA has a silver output transformer option, and output tube options. The BA uses Teflon coupling capacitors the Equilibrato SE Solen polypropylene. There are differences in components, and features. The bottom line if both amps were setup to run the same output tube, copper transformers, and used only for headphones they would be very close to sounding the same."

Jan 12, 2010 at 4:19 PM Post #24 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by zippy2001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here is Craig's explanation of the differences between the Equilibrato SE and the Balancing Act.

"The Equilibrato SE has only front panel headphone outputs, the BA has balanced line outputs, and headphone line switching. The BA also adds a 4 pin XLR for both dual, and single balanced connections. The BA has a silver output transformer option, and output tube options. The BA uses Teflon coupling capacitors the Equilibrato SE Solen polypropylene. There are differences in components, and features. The bottom line if both amps were setup to run the same output tube, copper transformers, and used only for headphones they would be very close to sounding the same."

Thanks zippy2001 for this sharing. It looks like the Equilibrato is close enough to the BA as a headphone amp.

What is not clear is whether the Equilibrato can drive a K1000 well, as I understand a BA with PX4 should work with K1000 (which is a big plus).

F. Lo

Jan 12, 2010 at 4:23 PM Post #25 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by 909 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i've not seen craig or steve since canjam 09 -- it's been a long while since i hung out with these guys and it was great chewing the fat, which i did a heck of a lot more of than listening.

the equilibrato
probably as most of you, i am taken by the look of this amp. i really like the industrial retro look and black on black color scheme. the chassis looks even more impressive in person.

my time with the equilibrato wasn't all that long and listening was what I'd deem critical, but given the vast majority of important components were my own, i can safely say this is one fine sounding headphone amplifier and considering the price, a huge bang for the buck. while listening to "in my room" by the beach boys, it made the hairs on my arm stand at attention, which is always a good sign because to me that means it's sounding close to the real thing or what i'd imagine it to sound like. a nice surprise was that this was the very first time i liked the w5000s after numerous auditions and i'd wholly attribute that to the way the equilibrato drove them.

i've spent a fair amount of time listening to the ZD, albeit a long, long time ago, and based on my audio memory, for what it's worth, the equilibrato doesn't really remind me of ZD. the only production BA i heard was at canjam 09 and the room was so freaking loud i couldn't gleam much of anything... however, i've heard a few BA prototypes and though, i didn't like it with the 45s or 300bs, i seriously wanted to buy one after i heard it with the 307As. the equilibrato seems to be more of a sonic cousin to the BA than the ZD and the 307A BA (proto that i heard) i believe scaled higher than them both, but you can get close for substantially less coin with the equilibrato.

It was great seeing David and Craig again also.

I had heard Min's BA with the AD1 tube option and it sounded terrific. I wanted a BA, but didn't have the budget, luckily Craig was already working how to create a less expensive option to his top of the line BA.

I would say that for people with champagne taste and beer budgets, like me, this is just the ticket.

Jan 13, 2010 at 4:41 AM Post #26 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by zippy2001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

what are the line outputs used for on the BA?

Jan 13, 2010 at 5:08 AM Post #27 of 59
i'm rather disappointed that craig didnt mention the equilibrato to me when I inquired about a BA
frown.gif

I just keep telling myself, "the silver trafo upgrade will be worth the extra ~$1000"....

Jan 13, 2010 at 6:12 PM Post #28 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by El_Doug /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i'm rather disappointed that craig didnt mention the equilibrato to me when I inquired about a BA
frown.gif

I just keep telling myself, "the silver trafo upgrade will be worth the extra ~$1000"....

The aesthetics of the Balancing Act are much nicer also and worth the extra $$$

Jan 13, 2010 at 6:17 PM Post #29 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what are the line outputs used for on the BA?

ba_back.jpg

I believe it is just to output the signal to another device, either balanced or unbalanced.

Jan 13, 2010 at 6:20 PM Post #30 of 59
If you go to Eddie Current website, this is how Craig describes the front panel functions of BA :

"Control Panel: Volume, four input selector, pre/headphone select."

So, should it be interpreted as a pre-amp out ?

F. Lo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back