Eddie Current Equilibrato
Jan 13, 2010 at 6:27 PM Post #31 of 59
I browsed through my email exchange with Craig and found this about the function of the outputs at the back.

"The amp.... in the first run, meaning the RCA jacks would be a loop through for any input selected including the balanced input. This is neat because even with the amp off it acts like a passive switch box with balanced to se conversion. The Balanced output is the pre-amp out, but you can use a balanced to RCA interconnect to use it as a unbalanced line. "

So, it is also certain that the BA can be used as a pre-amp. I understand one can have a switch to select whether to select either the balanced or RCA jacks as pre-amp.

This is a unique feature which the Equilibrato does not have.

F. Lo

Jan 13, 2010 at 9:17 PM Post #32 of 59
If you just have a headphone rig and do not plan on ever getting a speaker rig or have a completely different speaker rig the equilabrato SE seems to be the way to go, since it will use the same PSU and HF AC filament supply as the BA.

If you have a speaker rig though and are looking to consolidate your preamp/headphone amp the BA is a no-brainer. I think the silver transformer option is also a no-brainer and would imagine a nice increase in sound quality for those that have the $. The different outputs on the back make it very functional for those that have multiple sources and that want to use it as a preamp in their speaker rig.

Jan 15, 2010 at 4:00 AM Post #33 of 59
Got an email from Craig last week and he's hoping to have an Equilibrato at the Nor Cal meet at the end of Feb (2010).
He'll have his phono stage, the TA, for sure.

It looks like he's sourcing his casework for the Equilibrato from the same place as he gets the ones for the ZD and ZDT. I wouldn't doubt if the casework of the BA costs 4 times more. Add to that the teflon caps, Cinemag transformers and you've probably got the lion's share of the cost difference.

Jan 27, 2010 at 10:45 PM Post #34 of 59
The price and functionality (4-pin balanced & 1/4 headphone output) certainly make Equilibrato very appealing to me.

However, when I found out the price of Sophia PX4, >$350 (each), it makes me hesitate. So just two new tubes will cost about 40% ($700/$1760) of the original amp price. Wow! And how long can those Sophia run?

I know very little about circuit but just wonder if Equilibratr is similar to Sonett, which is SET and also takes SE input and output either SE or balanced via transformer coupling. But the user has to choose either SE or balanced output when ordering one.

Did I get that right? In that case, the tube cost of Sonett is much cheaper.

Thanks for answering those questions!

Jan 27, 2010 at 11:23 PM Post #35 of 59
I believe you can adjust this amp to run 300b tubes, which allows you some cheaper options to choose from.

FYI, those Sophias are priced $350 PER PAIR

The KR PX4's, however, do cost $650
biggrin.gif
A much more lush presentation with those, according to Craig

Jan 28, 2010 at 8:01 AM Post #38 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by dukja /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The price and functionality (4-pin balanced & 1/4 headphone output) certainly make Equilibrato very appealing to me.

However, when I found out the price of Sophia PX4, >$350 (each), it makes me hesitate. So just two new tubes will cost about 40% ($700/$1760) of the original amp price. Wow! And how long can those Sophia run?

I know very little about circuit but just wonder if Equilibratr is similar to Sonett, which is SET and also takes SE input and output either SE or balanced via transformer coupling. But the user has to choose either SE or balanced output when ordering one.

Did I get that right? In that case, the tube cost of Sonett is much cheaper.

Thanks for answering those questions!

I don't know how long the Sophia tubes will last, but they come with a one year warranty.

Yes the Sonett is a cheaper alternative but I have not heard it, so I don't know how they compare sonically. The Equilibrato has both SE and balanced, so you can have it both ways.

Quote:

Originally Posted by El_Doug /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I believe you can adjust this amp to run 300b tubes, which allows you some cheaper options to choose from.

FYI, those Sophias are priced $350 PER PAIR

biggrin.gif

This is correct, and I do want to hear the KRs to see if they are worth the price of admission.

Quote:

Originally Posted by KungFu_Panda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone konw where can buy the cheaper KR PX4'S tubes online?

I guess I need a pair next month
biggrin.gif

I don't know of anywhere you can get the KR tubes any cheaper and I may be a bit suspicious of discount tubes
ph34r.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
makes 300Bs look cheap. never thought i would see that.

I think for the money, the PX4s are supposed to (I haven't heard them all, so you can take that with a grain of salt) sound better than the 300Bs in the same price range. And the KR PX4s at $650 are much cheaper than the Western Electric 300Bs at $900.

Jan 29, 2010 at 4:04 PM Post #39 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by El_Doug /img/forum/go_quote.gif
biggrin.gif

Perhaps KR invert the PX4 and fill it full of lushness before sealing the tube!

These prices smack of over-hyped profiteering.

[ prof·it·eer. noun. One who makes excessive profits on goods in short supply. ]

Jan 30, 2010 at 5:27 PM Post #40 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by Leny /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Perhaps KR invert the PX4 and fill it full of lushness before sealing the tube!

These prices smack of over-hyped profiteering.

[ prof·it·eer. noun. One who makes excessive profits on goods in short supply. ]

To my knowledge KR Audio produces tubes of highest vaccum in the market today. The higher vaccum means different choice of glass and design thickness, and the process to achieve this all cost extra resources and investments. KR Audio's tubes are famous for their reliability and persistence in performance, and from what I read, many of the complex manufacturing processes are still manual and compounded with the relative small production scale and the distribution overhead somehow explain the price. I have tried the current production of WE300B, KR 300B (WE clone) and the KR's own 300B (Globe) and to my ears the KR 300B globe sounds the best on my Woo Audio 5.

Sophia Electric has some association with Full Music in China on some its early 300Bs until it comes up with its "Princess" series (still have a lot of similarities between the Full Music tubes). They are targeted to be good value tubes and deliver outstanding performance, but definitely not the most sought after in the circle.

F. Lo

Feb 2, 2010 at 12:07 AM Post #41 of 59
Zippy, Have you heard the Woo WA 22? If so, any comparisons to the Equilibrato

Feb 2, 2010 at 4:09 AM Post #43 of 59
When is this amp going to be for sale and when is he going to start production?

Feb 2, 2010 at 5:55 AM Post #44 of 59
If you are using the SE version, and you have unbalanced inputs into the amplifier. Shouldn't the circuitry to connect the balanced and unbalanced headphone outs be exactly the same.

What would be the benefit of having your headphones re-wired for balanced in this situation?

Feb 2, 2010 at 6:07 AM Post #45 of 59
I have the same question in my mind. I was considering Sonett which has exactly the same issue. Since both Sonett and Equilibrato use unbalanced signal and the amping circuit is SE as well, the balanced benefit is kind of minimized. For comparison:

Full balanced system: Bal. DAC circuit -> Bal. IC -> Bal. AMP circuit -> Bal. cable -> HP

Sonett/Equilibrator: SE DAC -> SE RCA -> SE AMP -> Bal cable -> HP

Still posts here claim much improved SQ with Equilibrato's Bal output. Anyone can experience same benefit?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back