Eddie Current Equilibrato
Feb 2, 2010 at 9:30 AM Post #47 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by gjkphd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Zippy, Have you heard the Woo WA 22? If so, any comparisons to the Equilibrato

I did hear the WA22 at CanJam and thought it was a very good amp, I listened to it with the HD650s and it was great. The Equilibrato is an excellent amp and sounds much better to my ears than the WA22. I haven't heard them side by side, but I prefer the way the Equilibrato portrays the music. I listen to a wide variety of music and so far it doesn't disappoint. The vocals are excellent, it is detailed and yet very musical.

Feb 2, 2010 at 9:31 AM Post #48 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by atothex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The styling and silver trafo option gives the BA 2 major advantages imo. If I were ever in the market for a high end tube amp, the BA still tops my list.

I agree, if I had the cash to spend on a top of the line amp, the BA would be it. It does sound a bit better and I prefer the styling also.

Feb 2, 2010 at 9:41 AM Post #49 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by KingStyles /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When is this amp going to be for sale and when is he going to start production?

I would just contact Craig Uthus at Eddie Current

Eddie Current-vaccum tube and custom amplifiers

Quote:

Originally Posted by arnesto /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you are using the SE version, and you have unbalanced inputs into the amplifier. Shouldn't the circuitry to connect the balanced and unbalanced headphone outs be exactly the same.

What would be the benefit of having your headphones re-wired for balanced in this situation?

The output to the SE and balanced are different, there is a switch built into the SE jack, so it turns the output into SE, even for the balanced jack. So you can easily hear the difference by putting a SE plug in the jack while listening to the balanced headphone out.

The differences that I heard were an improved soundstage and detail. I was impressed with the difference going balanced makes. I have sent my AD2000, K701 and Sennheiser cable all to be balanced.

Feb 4, 2010 at 5:21 PM Post #50 of 59
I just got a mail from Craig. He mentioned that the transformer used in 1st Equilibrato will not be available anymore. Hence, the transformer for BA and power supply will be used for Equilibrato, which set its future price to about $2800 (actually that was the SE version, so the standard version is out).
frown.gif
That is close to BA already and out of my budget range.

I guess that also affects the releasing date...

Feb 4, 2010 at 5:25 PM Post #51 of 59
that's a real shame
frown.gif
not only does this price a lot of buyers out of the market for an Eddie Current balanced amp, but it also makes the BA seem even MORE pointless :/

Feb 4, 2010 at 6:38 PM Post #52 of 59
that is really bad news
redface.gif
The price point worked for me in terms of getting a tube based balanced amp but now it doesn't work

Feb 4, 2010 at 6:45 PM Post #53 of 59
That's a disappointing news. I was considering on getting one.

Feb 5, 2010 at 5:09 AM Post #55 of 59
i still don't really understand the difference between the two. i assume the BA is better and if they are now priced around the same, guess it does not matter.

Feb 5, 2010 at 5:35 AM Post #56 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by zippy2001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I did hear the WA22 at CanJam and thought it was a very good amp, I listened to it with the HD650s and it was great. The Equilibrato is an excellent amp and sounds much better to my ears than the WA22. I haven't heard them side by side, but I prefer the way the Equilibrato portrays the music. I listen to a wide variety of music and so far it doesn't disappoint. The vocals are excellent, it is detailed and yet very musical.

Stock WA22 don't do any justice. I 'd agree stock WA22 is too lush and polite. But the signal path of WA22 all high quality. Body and dynamic , are what WA22 only lack, hence my recap and mod with Modwright.

Feb 5, 2010 at 5:56 AM Post #57 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by Seamaster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Stock WA22 don't do any justice. I 'd agree stock WA22 is too lush and polite. But the signal path of WA22 all high quality. Body and dynamic , are what WA22 only lack, hence my recap and mod with Modwright.

So you're saying a $1900 headphone amp needs to be modified to sound good, that's not a great endorsement

Feb 5, 2010 at 7:06 AM Post #58 of 59
I think its still a good price point. I certainly don't need a fancy case or pre-amp functionality.

Does the $2800 version include the silver transformers?

Feb 5, 2010 at 10:45 PM Post #59 of 59
Craig sent me an informative e mail which answered some questions and raised more for me. The probable and certainly premature demise of the Equilibrato was brought about by the transformer guy retiriing.
I have some Electronics for Dummies questions that I didn't want to trouble Craig with so I"m putting them out here

what does the transformer do?
What is it made of?
Why would it be difficult to duplicate the one that was to be used in the Equilibrato (It's a lot smaller than the ones in the BA)?
What do we have to do to get the transformer guy to supply Craig a couple hundred more and then retire?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back