Eddie Current Electra Electrostatic Amplifier
Jul 31, 2013 at 4:19 PM Post #377 of 456
Quote:
I honestly haven't been using mine since I got SMT IV *shrug*.

what do you mean by "SMT IV *shrug* " ?  What is it ? 

Aug 1, 2013 at 12:14 AM Post #378 of 456
Really sorry folks, wasn't supposed to say anything and now I'm in serious hot water.  Please ignore my posts about the fourth iteration of the SMT amp and any mention of Gizzard.  He is a myth, a fairytale, a smoke-and-mirrors distraction that does nothing to fantasize about as its never happening.  I think that's what he told me to say.

Aug 7, 2013 at 2:50 AM Post #379 of 456
Hello,

For information.

On the French forum Stax HCFR, we will realize early September (7 and 8 September) an interesting confrontation of electrostatic amplifiers, single-blind, after equalization of levels with a voltmeter, with a Stax SR 009 headphone.
Amplifiers list  selected: Eddie Current Electra (one of superfred21) ; Stax SRM 727 (that of Pierre (Peter)) ; combi Audiovalve RKV mk2 + WooAudio Wee (mine).
Dacs used : TotalDac D1; Audiomat Maestro Reference ;  PS Audio Perfect Wave mk2.

We seek the amplifier giving the best possible synergy with the SR 009 and we will keep you informed of the outcome of this confrontation.

Eric

PS : For more information you can also read the Stax thread here  http://www.head-fi.org/t/223263/the-stax-thread-new/24360 or on the French forum HCFR the Headphone section:  "Club des Heureux propriétaires de casques STAX "  http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/casques-haute-fidelite/

Edit: also participate in this confrontation of amplifiers on the Stax SR 009, the Stax SRM 007t2

Aug 11, 2013 at 2:32 PM Post #380 of 456
All - How's the Electra with the MKI SR-007s, especially compared to the (other) big guns?
Not many reviews out there.

Aug 11, 2013 at 4:49 PM Post #381 of 456
Here, and it is very recent !

Read reviews superfred21 (Frederic) at the following link (in French)
http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/casques-haute-fidelite/club-des-heureux-proprietaires-de-casques-stax-t29819561-4575.html

or automatic translation by google attached:

" This meeting is of madness, you know rigorous testing that is anything but a joke frank believe me!
Eric I'll meet you in the order of your questions:

About Electra I come with my tubes of competition that is to say PSVANE CV181-T for two of the four input tubes, the output tubes are EL34 PSVANE PH replica that replaced the original tubes sold with the amp that are Russian mullard EL34 tubes.

On the original tubes Electra delivers a very good capacity of information retrieval, a wide soundstage and impressive dynamics.
One also finds a high spectrum with less brilliance than BHSE example rather hot and sweet medium. With PSVANE tubes is another story, one approaches a BHSE in his signature sound. Electra still offers more details, the soundstage is more holographic (impressive), lower spectrum becomes more tense, generally remains above dynamics, the medium loses some of its heat to the benefit of greater accuracy, but the top end is smoother than a BHSE. Overall, with this set of tubes I find perfect for Electra SR 009 but also for the 007 MK1.

I always considered as an extremely linear BHSE fantastic amp, high power, a diabolical precision, but its signature position for me a little too much on the upper midrange / acute. However, even with the slightly rising signature it was the best electrostatic amp never tested until the arrival of Electra with a more "open" while maintaining a high transparency. Craig really to strike a blow.

In the steady stream of information from Head-Fi website apart purrin rather favorable to the Electra for the SR 009 I have not found one of the few owners of the amp Craig actual position BHSE vs. Electra.

After BHSE owners will brag that they have the best amp, same for the owners of the Electra. "

Aug 11, 2013 at 5:30 PM Post #382 of 456
Thanks for the link Eric; and nice to know how the Psvane EL34s sound like. Will be reading up on the original site in French since the the Google translator seems to have done a hack job for a few parts. Haha.

Aug 11, 2013 at 9:42 PM Post #383 of 456
I have been thoroughly enjoying the Electra w. my SR-009.  I tried the Psvane EL34PH, very liquid, but my tastes are different than most, and I preferred the Russians with their added punch and brighter top end, so I put the Russian stock tubes back in. Lucky for me, as they are cheap.

I'll give the EL34PH another try when I receive my BHSE, where their signature will likely be less prominent.   

- Sean

Aug 12, 2013 at 3:43 AM Post #384 of 456
Quote:
Thanks for the link Eric; and nice to know how the Psvane EL34s sound like. Will be reading up on the original site in French since the the Google translator seems to have done a hack job for a few parts. Haha.

From our part we will compare soon (early September) this amplifier Electra of superfred21 (with PSVANE EL 34) with high-end Stax amplifiers (cheaper and less prestigious than the BHSE): the SRM 727 and 007t2 amp.

Sorry for the errors of translation of google translate for the previous post.

Eric

Aug 18, 2013 at 3:39 PM Post #385 of 456
I just received my Electra too ! Found it good with the stock tubes !

I have try a pair of Full Music 6SN7, and it's crap ! No bass, sound was hash, really not pleasent... Stay away from this tube, the Electra don't like them at all !!!

Aug 18, 2013 at 5:48 PM Post #387 of 456
What's going on here, half of impressions posted so far are posted from french guys. Did the whole first batch go to France or what?! :)

Aug 18, 2013 at 5:59 PM Post #388 of 456
Folks,

I am pondering an order. The stock pot is the Alps 'Blue Velvet' 100K, which is board mounted. Any worthwhile pot upgrades that will slot in easily? 
Any other upgrades to consider?

Aug 19, 2013 at 3:40 AM Post #390 of 456
Quote:
What's going on here, half of impressions posted so far are posted from french guys. Did the whole first batch go to France or what?!
smily_headphones1.gif

No man is a prophet in his own country.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back