Eddie Current Electra Electrostatic Amplifier
Jun 29, 2013 at 9:33 PM Post #346 of 456
Just wait till you get different tubes in that amp. I didnt like it with the stock tubes.

Jun 30, 2013 at 12:18 AM Post #347 of 456
Quote:
I was about to make the plunge for a headAmp Blue AiwaII (BHSE) + Stax SR009, but... I came across this thread !  
biggrin.gif

So now I am quite embarassed... which one to chose.
confused.gif

The head hamp Blue Hawaii (BHSE) has a very very good track record & reviews, so what could be the reason to motivate to buy the Electra instead ?  

Any help will be appreciated... :wink:

The Electra is 2K less to start.  Craig's track record also goes back further in the headphone hobby than just about anyone's (including his Moth days) and for those who like his dynamic amps and want something similar in an electrostatic amp, its kind of a no-brainer to at least give a try.  Andy's stat design experience also goes back like 30 years.  These guys really know how to design something that measures well, sounds good, and doesn't break the bank.  If you're looking for something with cachet just get a BHSE.

Oh, and I second the notion to buy everything, its how I was able to separate the game of headphone perception from my own preferences.  

Jul 3, 2013 at 1:56 PM Post #348 of 456
Quote:
I was about to make the plunge for a headAmp Blue AiwaII (BHSE) + Stax SR009, but... I came across this thread !  
biggrin.gif

So now I am quite embarassed... which one to chose.
confused.gif

The head hamp Blue Hawaii (BHSE) has a very very good track record & reviews, so what could be the reason to motivate to buy the Electra instead ?  

Any help will be appreciated... :wink:

A few reasons / comparisons:

• Personally, I don't like the SR009 from the BHSE. The BHSE is probably the brightest sound stat amp out there. It's a great combo with the SR007mk1 (which is laid-back sounding). The technicalities of the BHSE and 009 are awesome, but those two just don't gel well together. Again just my opinion.
  • The Electra is all tubes, the BHSE is a hybrid. If you are familiar with the EC amps, the Electra has a sound in the EC mold: not quite tubey, not quite solid-state. The Electra exhibits more micro-dynamics and extracts more micro-detail. The BHSE is more precise, has more control, has a blacker background.
  • The BHSE build quality is amazing. Nothing quite touches it. Justin goes OCD over the chassis, etc. willing to throw away anything which is not perfect just to start over.
  • The Electra costs less, although I think the price will be slowing increasing over time.
  • If you are into tube rolling, the Electra will also take 6L6s, which do sound different from the EL34s.
  • The BHSE wait times are excruciating. It often takes much longer than initially "promised" to receive it, often over a year or sometimes almost two. Those who have it do think it's very much worth the wait. The Electra wait times are also long, but given that they are in production, you can expect a few months.

But yeah, order both. Keep both or sell one.

Just wait till you get different tubes in that amp. I didnt like it with the stock tubes.

Stock tubes are horrible. Can't emphasize this enough.

Jul 3, 2013 at 8:36 PM Post #350 of 456
Mine's testing right now.

So far I've ordered the Psvane EL34ph's and a couple of different 6SN7 pairs including Sylvania chrome tops, Sylvania 6SN7GT's (the ones people keep calling "the bad boys"), and some CBS/Hytrons.  I also ordered a Ken Rad VT231 to try with my Balancing Act and might consider getting some more for the Electra is I like it. 

Jul 3, 2013 at 9:23 PM Post #351 of 456
I like the hytron/badboy combo, but have switched to the tungsol bgrp/badboy combo with cryoed gl kt77. Tried the sed winged el34 but they were too rolled off in the highs to make the cymbols and highhats shimmer the way I want. If i want that type of sound i will use the lcd3. The cryoed kt77 have more extension in the highs and better detail and dynamics than the non cryoed. Just some of my obesrvations so far.

Jul 3, 2013 at 9:33 PM Post #352 of 456
Let us know about the Psvanes and any comparisons to other tubes. I've heard good things about Psvane's latest tubes. Does anyone know the proper way to pronounce Psvane?

Jul 3, 2013 at 10:03 PM Post #353 of 456
As far as the EL34's go I'll probably just have stock and the Psvane's for awhile, but I'll tell you how those compare, at least. 

I plan on using stock for a week or so then switching stuff up.

Jul 3, 2013 at 10:08 PM Post #354 of 456
Let us know about the Psvanes and any comparisons to other tubes. I've heard good things about Psvane's latest tubes. Does anyone know the proper way to pronounce Psvane?

I tried the Psvanes with the stock 1st & 2nd stage tubes last night  , and like them quite a bit ...in fact they allowed me to listen for more than 2 hours straight w/out having to look for music that would sound ok with the 009 (not so with stock output tubes) . In comparison the KGSS DX+009 had a more balanced presentation , air and mid bass, while the Electra had better mids, fuller bass and sweeter highs. Replacing the 2nd stage tubes with RCA's provided better separation and air , at the expense of even lesser mid-bass......testing out more stuff

Jul 4, 2013 at 6:50 PM Post #356 of 456
Quote:
Does anyone know the proper way to pronounce Psvane?

It's pronounced "pavane".

It's funny that there is a word in French (spelled exactly like that) that basically means "to show off".

Jul 5, 2013 at 9:45 AM Post #358 of 456
can someone tell me what bgrp means with regards to tungsol 6sn7 tubes.
also, is there a preference for 3 vs 2 hole badboys?
finally, I know the pairs of 6sn7 tubes need to be matched, but is it safe to use different pairs for the input and second stage tubes?
thanks

Jul 5, 2013 at 10:26 AM Post #359 of 456
Quote:
can someone tell me what bgrp means with regards to tungsol 6sn7 tubes.
also, is there a preference for 3 vs 2 hole badboys?
finally, I know the pairs of 6sn7 tubes need to be matched, but is it safe to use different pairs for the input and second stage tubes?
thanks

Black Glass Round Plates.
http://www.ebay.com/bhp/tung-sol-round-plate

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Jul 5, 2013 at 4:38 PM Post #360 of 456
The 3hole badboys are considered the true badboys. There is a little difference between the 2hole and the 3hole badboys. I dont know how much of a difference if any sonically that makes. I have never taken the time to compare them. Yes you can use different sets of 6sn7 for the input and second stage tubes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back