Eddie Current Balancing Act
Jul 16, 2011 at 6:43 PM Post #841 of 1,499
I'm running the RCA grey glass 6SN7 / VT-231 with the black plates. Nice deep and strong bass, warmish, rich midrange with smooth but extended highs. These are a bit more articulate than the 5692 red base 
Thanks for your suggestions,  How's about the 5692 GE, Sylvania, and CBS? will those help too

Jul 16, 2011 at 6:54 PM Post #842 of 1,499

Quote:
I'm running the RCA grey glass 6SN7 / VT-231 with the black plates. Nice deep and strong bass, warmish, rich midrange with smooth but extended highs. These are a bit more articulate than the 5692 red base 
Thanks for your suggestions,  How's about the 5692 GE, Sylvania, and CBS? will those help too

Maybe the Sylvania 6SN7 GT/GTA/GTB chrome tops (also issued under other brands such as CBS or Motorola,etc.). These have strong fairly articulate bass, smooth and extended treble with slight forwardness. Avoid the other well-known Sylvania's such as the 6SN7W, VT-231, etc. as they are bit leaner and probably not what you are looking for. I'm enjoying the RCA grey glass (and the BA) so much that I haven't had a desire to get off my ass and tweak anything, so I haven't tried the Sylvania's yet.

I don't know anything about the CBS or GE 5692s other than the GE 5692s are probably the same thing as RCA - you can confirm by looking at photos.

You sure you want to stick with just the WE 300B?  Just realized you have the AVVT32. (BTW, I heard the AVVT32s at Craig's place and I think you are just better off sticking with the KR PX4s. I didn't hear any of the classic 300B attributes with the AVVT32s, and the KR PX4's harmonic richness and bass extension just kicks their ass.)

I'm currently running the stock EH 300Bs which have that classic 300B sound and I've got EML 300Bs on order to get just a little bit away from that 300B midrange bloom, soft bass, and rolled highs. I have to give credit to blubliss because I asked him what tubes he was running with his HD800s. It turns out I may end up running the same tubes he's running.

Aug 11, 2011 at 3:28 PM Post #843 of 1,499

Quote:

One more suggestion: Brimar 6SN7GT black glass with the double wings on top. I've recently picked one of these up and it's by far my favorite. Deep articulate bass, rich luscious midrange, and clear sounding with good but not overblown treble. The Brimar is definitely on a another level compared to all the < 100USD tubes I've collected.

Aug 16, 2011 at 12:35 PM Post #844 of 1,499
I don't mean to sidetrack your tube rolling discussion, but does any current BA owner plan on attending a future NYC meet? I'd love to hear a BA, but I don't want to buy blind @ $4,600 (KR-PX4s).

Greg

Nov 1, 2011 at 10:14 PM Post #846 of 1,499
Sexy!

bigsmile_face.gif

Nov 3, 2011 at 2:50 PM Post #848 of 1,499
I just happened to catch Craig at the right time, so the wait wasn't bad at all. Those are KR-PX4 with a Mullard ECC35 driver.

Nov 4, 2011 at 7:54 PM Post #851 of 1,499

Quote:
have you ever incur noise of ecc35?  Knock the tube gentlely then the noise disappear.
dunno why... is that normal?

That's microphonics from the tube.  Certain tubes are like that such as my Ken Rads.  You can tap the table and hear it.  You need a tube damper if you wish to reduce/eliminate the problem.

Nov 6, 2011 at 11:21 PM Post #852 of 1,499
Nov 16, 2011 at 9:35 AM Post #853 of 1,499
Do any BA owners have a pair of LCD-3 in hand yet? I figured the driver I preferred with the LCD-2 (Mullard ECC35) would also be preferable with the 3, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Has anyone done any experimentation with rolling drivers with the 3? So far I'm finding the more transparent and analytical (IMO) nature of the Tung-Sol 6SN7GT BGRP to be a more enjoyable pairing with the 3's.

Edit: After further rolling, I've change my mind... I still prefer the ECC35 to the BGRP with the 3's. The BGRP has nice detail and is crisp across the spectrum but the ECC35 has a much nicer, more centered, focus.

I hope this thread comes back to life!

Nov 16, 2011 at 12:04 PM Post #854 of 1,499
I finding that I don't like my midrange voodoo Brimar as much as the NU tall glass 7N7 which is cleaner and more extended sounding with the LCD3.

Nov 16, 2011 at 7:19 PM Post #855 of 1,499

Quote:
I finding that I don't like my midrange voodoo Brimar as much as the NU tall glass 7N7 which is cleaner and more extended sounding with the LCD3.

Those must be quite rare. I searched around for a while, but couldn't find any for sale. I did, however, manage to find a thread that mentioned a high fail/noise rate for that particular 7N7. Sounds like finding a good one can be a chore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back