Eddie Current 2A3 - New updated version, new look with polished top
May 5, 2013 at 10:37 AM Post #61 of 111
I just get the confirmation from Craig, the 2A3 has been upgraded with the 40kHz AC heater he use on the BA. In addition the amplifier now uses a dual mono power supply with ultra fast soft recovery SS damper diodes...

He just missing the informations about the output transformer and the potentiometer !

May 6, 2013 at 11:50 AM Post #62 of 111
The 2A3 OPT is the same Electra-Print as it was before. The major difference (other than output tubes) between the 2A3 and the BA OPTs is that the BA OPT is smaller with partial silver secondaries. Thus the BA sounds slightly more detailed, but with less power capacity compared to the 2A3 OPTs (the BA is intended purely to be a headphone or pre-amp.) It should noted that the Electra-Print OPTs used on the BA and 2A3 do have a very similar sound. Actually, I think all of the Electra-Prints have a similar sound.

I believe EC offers a P&G pot upgrade. It's a very nice upgrade, but one I personally don't find necessary with the 2A3.

I am really interested in how the high frequency heater sounds in the 2A3.  The power supply is coming in the same larger box that he uses for the BA psu, since it now contains the high frequency heater. 

The use of the HF heater on the 2A3 is a game changer. DHTs have always sounded open and spacious with a deep stage, but the HF heater just takes those aspects to another level. Once you hear it, you get spoiled and will never want to go back to a DC heated filament.

May 6, 2013 at 12:21 PM Post #63 of 111
At least previously you could get partial silver output transformer in EC 2A3. The copper output transformers are supposed to be better with speakers. There was a difference between the transformers in BA and 2A3 though, BA has EI core and 2A3 is C core. As for volume pot, there was problem with P&G pot fitting into mine so it was changed to a Spectral pot in the end. Overall I do like the pot upgrade, it makes things sharper. The only catch is that due to low ohm, music that is recorded very low volume will need to up volume on the pot, other than that it works just fine; I normally only need to go to 11.30 o'clock to 12.30 o'clock on the volume.

May 6, 2013 at 2:00 PM Post #64 of 111
 [size=medium]I've just got some informations on the new 2A3[/size]. The EC2A3 amp has 40kHz heaters, and is a true dual mono design. This amp is not available with the partial silver transformers used on the BA...

And last, but not least new, Craig is working on a four 2A3 tube parallel SE amp with inter-stage driver transformer, no coupling caps !!

Preliminary specification:

EC 2A3X4 amplifier
Four 2A3 output tubes operate in parallel SE no feedback true dual mono design.
Dual power supplies with ultrafast, soft recovery damper diodes.
40kHz AC heater supply.
5842 inter-stage transformer coupled driver.
Electra-Print partial silver output transformers.
6 watts output, will drive speakers, or headphones balanced.
Power bandwidth 18Hz to 30kHz.
Price $3800.00 including platinum matched EH gold grid 2A3 tubes.
Photo in four to six weeks.

Prepare your wallet 
tongue_smile.gif

May 6, 2013 at 3:26 PM Post #65 of 111
Wow that sounds like a Leviathan with electraprints. Pretty nice for the price, though the prospect of tube rolling with 4 2A3s is going to take some serious cash.

Jul 20, 2013 at 12:00 PM Post #70 of 111
I just received the last 2A3 amp from Craig, with the new 40kHz AC heater supply !

Soud better than my previous 2A3 mono amp from Tektron. Much more quiet ! Very dynamic and open, a pleasure to listen :)

I use EML 2A3 Solid plate and a JAN CRC 5691 input tube. Work well together.

Here is some pictures:

JQMrAMk.jpg

uCnJ1Xf.jpg

yXwi7bQ.jpg

xUacYpB.jpg

hRH2jfU.jpg

Jul 20, 2013 at 5:46 PM Post #73 of 111
Congratulation! Looks great! Yup with EML very dynamic. Probably worth trying out Jan 6C8G as well at some point - make sure you use an adapter with high quality parts though (note it too seem to benefit from a little break-in).

Jul 21, 2013 at 3:20 AM Post #74 of 111
Quote:
Congratulation! Looks great! Yup with EML very dynamic. Probably worth trying out Jan 6C8G as well at some point - make sure you use an adapter with high quality parts though (note it too seem to benefit from a little break-in).

He sure need break-in, but new, he is good ! He run since 10 hours, and you can hear the difference !
Do you know a good source of Jan 6C8G and adapter ? I can make a try
smile.gif

Jul 21, 2013 at 5:17 AM Post #75 of 111
I tried a couple adapters and this is one I use now. There is also a new one on ebay (with silvery/white cable) but no idea any good or not. Whichever way, give them a littel time to settle.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1pc-tube-socket-convert-adapter-8pin-to-8pin-6C8G-to-6SL7-/320960114724?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item4abab6b024

Note do not keep twisting the top connector or it may break.

As for source for 6C8G, I just use ebay, a bit of pot luck as some are good and some not so good (say lower volume). Probably best to go for the older black plate. Thankfully they are not too expensive.

As for amp burn-in, it is like 2-3 weeks for me - in my case, it didn't sound great in the initial 2 weeks. Part of the problem is long break-in process of the EML (which is quite demending as you know).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back