Eddie Current 2A3 - New updated version, new look with polished top
Sep 30, 2012 at 9:32 AM Post #3 of 111
Sure, here are a few mobile phone pics, sorry for poor quality. Note my amp uses partial silver output transformers so it has only got 8 ohms speaker output. I am not sure what the back of the normal stock* copper output transformers version look like, best check with Craig. However, I do know there is a custom (speaker amp) version of EC 2A3 that has a back with multi speaker taps, see pic below. 

* I think stock version can switch between different ohms like 4, 8, 16, but I am not sure, please check with Craig.

The switch at the middle is for switching between 2A3 and 45. The speaker posts are cardas copper.

Black plate of special custom version of EC 2A3

Sep 30, 2012 at 2:14 PM Post #6 of 111
Seems Craig has now used metal plugs (on both amp & power supply) for the umbilical cord, so very sterdy.

Power supply size, very approx. about 12 cm x 21 cm x 17 cm (incl. rubber feet etc but not incl. rectifier tube). Weight around 13 lb.

Oct 2, 2012 at 1:17 PM Post #7 of 111
I now want this.  Real bad like.  Awesome move on the umbilical, the plug is a nice touch but probably not necessary.  I may even have to move the ZDSE along...

It's rare I run across speakers that are 16 ohm.

Oct 2, 2012 at 1:28 PM Post #8 of 111
Replace the stock power fuse with a Synergistic Research fuse for a significant improvement. It made a good improvement to my Zana Deux amp. Available from Scott Walker Audio, The Tweek Geek, The Cable Company, and other vendors- $59.00 well spent.

David Pritchard

Oct 2, 2012 at 3:24 PM Post #9 of 111
Thanks David for great tip! I was thinking about that....

Mr. Sneis - Zu speakers is an odd exception which uses 16 ohms. With stock output transformers, I think you get choice of differnet ohms for speaker outputs (please check with Craig). As mine is partial silver version so limited to 8 ohms output only. Craig thinks the stock copper output transformers are better for speaker (for some technical reason); apparently one could even order special custom speakers only version with Tango output transformers (expensive as you can imagined).

Forgot, in term of heat, what heat!? The amp is not hot (need to put hand a few cm from power tubes to feel some warmth), I even touch the EML 45 by accident without problem lol! The power supply supply does get warm and the rectifier tube does glow orange (not touching that!).

The amp or most likely the EML really does takes a long time to break in (100-150 hours not including all the rest periods as required by EML instruction). Initial changes are pretty big to say the least.

Oct 3, 2012 at 3:27 AM Post #10 of 111
Quote:
Awesome move on the umbilical, the plug is a nice touch but probably not necessary.

I don't want to claim any 'credit' for this development, but after several umbilical-related failures on my ZD SE (the last specific to the plastic plugs / sockets) I specifically asked Craig to replace them with non-flexing metal alternatives.  Below is a snap of my amp, at Craig's place I think, in August.  Has been rock solid since arriving back home.

Edit: can't get the photo to load, for some reason, but it's the same connector....

Quote:
Replace the stock power fuse with a Synergistic Research fuse for a significant improvement. It made a good improvement to my Zana Deux amp. Available from Scott Walker Audio, The Tweek Geek, The Cable Company, and other vendors- $59.00 well spent.

David Pritchard

Not to turn this into a Zana thread, but ....  where within the amp does the fuse go, David?  Presumably it necessitates removing the baseplate of the main unit??

Oct 3, 2012 at 5:16 AM Post #13 of 111
40Hz - excellent that you help to up the socket to metal type, thanks! For my power supply the fuse is also where the IEC plug locate (the flap just under the ICE hole). 

Lastly, initial impression seems that rolling rectifier tube does seems to have some effect, will update more later; I am getting good result with Sovtek GZ34 but even better with good tube.

Oct 3, 2012 at 5:48 AM Post #14 of 111
In term of volume control upgrades, originally I was planning for a P&G RF15, however due to tight space issue it is not possible so a Spectral pot (similar level) was used instead. Here is a pic:

Oct 3, 2012 at 5:56 AM Post #15 of 111
Quote:
40Hz - excellent that you help to up the socket to metal type, thanks! For my power supply the fuse is also where the IEC plug locate (the flap just under the ICE hole). 

Lastly, initial impression seems that rolling rectifier tube does seems to have some effect, will update more later; I am getting good result with Sovtek GZ34 but even better with good tube.

Well, I imagine there may be some connection, but as I say, I don't want to claim credit - Craig does seem to be open to suggestions across the board, and that has to be a good thing.

Let's try again with that pic, so you can see the connector from another angle.  Fingers crossed...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back