Eddie Current 2A3 - New updated version, new look with polished top
Feb 28, 2013 at 8:22 AM Post #31 of 111
Quote:
The rectifier tubes shouldn't matter that much, as in affect sound, in the EC amps.

Actually in EC 2A3 the rectifier tube does affect sound. Thus far I found Sovtek GZ34 more spacy and a bit more noisy and NOS Philip Holland double d-getter more power, quieter and warmer. I am guessing the larger difference came from the fact that unlike EC BA which has double rectifications so min. this affect. I think it is probably worth experimenting with the rectifier tube on EC 2A3.

Feb 28, 2013 at 8:29 AM Post #32 of 111
Quote:
So what's the difference between an ECBA setup for 2A3's and the 2A3 amp now? They have the same heater setup now....

The ECBA uses partial silver EI core output transformers whereas EC 2A3 can be either copper or partial silver (available as an upgrade option) C core output transformers. Also ECBA has a larger power supply with double rectification. Plus of course EC BA has XLR input and preamp function whereas EC 2A3 is also an integrated amp. As for sound differences, haven't heard it so no idea.

Feb 28, 2013 at 11:11 PM Post #33 of 111
Quote:

Actually in EC 2A3 the rectifier tube does affect sound. Thus far I found Sovtek GZ34 more spacy and a bit more noisy and Philip Holland double d-getter more power, quieter and warmer. I am guessing the larger difference came from the fact that unlike EC BA which has double rectifications so min. this affect. I think it is probably worth experimenting with the rectifier tube on EC 2A3.

Bah, I hate messing with more variables. Something to keep in mind. I sold off the BA because I wanted something which could double as a speaker amp too. It's either going to be the Leviathan or 2A3.

I haven't heard the latest iteration of the 2A3 yet, but I'll report findings between that and the BA with the KR PX4s. I'm thinking they should be very similar. I do like the 2A3 sound better.

Mar 1, 2013 at 3:53 AM Post #34 of 111
The good news is that this variable isn't going to be hugh issue as one can get decent current production tube for low price say sevtek GZ34 etc and the number of tube choice is reasonable, not too many but not too little. I actually found it easier than chosing driver tube.

Mar 6, 2013 at 9:30 AM Post #35 of 111
popcorn.gif

Mar 8, 2013 at 8:58 AM Post #37 of 111
While this version may be slightly different than the one I reviewed a while back this amp is amongst the best I have heard. For my money the 2a3 and 45 tubes are my favorites particularly for headphone use. The rectifier tubes tend to last a very long time and a good quality NOS tube (or better yet used but tests high in the range) won't set you back more than $100-150 and will last for years under normal conditions. There are fantastic new production 2a3s and better yet a pretty good supply of NOS or testing good 2a3 tubes out there.

I am bummed this amp did not take off when released as to my ears it is a KILLER amp with the added flex of using it with high efficiency  speakers. 

Mar 8, 2013 at 7:51 PM Post #38 of 111
can anyone compare this amps to the Stratus? Thanks

Mar 9, 2013 at 8:39 PM Post #39 of 111
Specs wise it has a regulated power supply that can be kept a good distance away.  Stratus is unregulated.  Speaker posts or pre-out if you ask real nice.  Neither is available on the Stratus.  Stratus does have more output options though to fine tune with after tube selection.  And it's blue :wink:

Mar 9, 2013 at 8:56 PM Post #40 of 111
Quote:
Speaker posts or pre-out if you ask real nice.  Multiple inputs.  Neither is available on the Stratus. 

The Stratus has 2 sets of RCA inputs with toggle switch on the rear.

Mar 9, 2013 at 8:56 PM Post #41 of 111
Quote:
Specs wise it has a regulated power supply that can be kept a good distance away.  Stratus is unregulated.  Speaker posts or pre-out if you ask real nice.  Multiple inputs.  Neither is available on the Stratus.  Stratus does have more output options though to fine tune with after tube selection.  And it's blue :wink:

i meant sound wise! but fair enough. I deserved that. 

Mar 9, 2013 at 10:55 PM Post #44 of 111
Blue crushes the old "Silver is better than Black" argument....
wink.gif

May 4, 2013 at 4:33 AM Post #45 of 111
Quote:
Quote:
Specs wise it has a regulated power supply that can be kept a good distance away.  Stratus is unregulated.  Speaker posts or pre-out if you ask real nice.  Multiple inputs.  Neither is available on the Stratus.  Stratus does have more output options though to fine tune with after tube selection.  And it's blue :wink:

i meant sound wise! but fair enough. I deserved that. 

I interested too in the difference between EC 2A3 and DNA Stratus...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back