Echobox Audio Explorer impressions and discussion thread
Aug 14, 2017 at 3:00 PM Post #271 of 358
I've already posted the issues I've had, so I won't bore everyone by reposting. I'm using my Echobox right now for offline Tidal. Wifi works for me. Clicking does not happen while songs are playing. Sound quality is pretty good. Sorry the three of you (and probably some others) are having so many issues, but I don't think it is universal. If it is, you may want to think twice about the ethics of selling it to someone else.

I won't be selling my unit.

In good conscience, I could not possibly sell it to somebody, at any price. It has a non transferable 1 year warranty. If you send it back they say it takes a month and a half to turn it around. So that is a month and a half in EB speak.

For the rest of us that means a year and luckily for EB the warranty will have run out....

I wouldn't give this piece of junk to my worst enemy...

Aug 14, 2017 at 4:08 PM Post #272 of 358
I was lucky my unit was free of the defects, and I disclosed all the problems people have had to a family member who could afford it on a lark and liked the novelty factor. The sound quality of my unit was way below par, and I relayed my opinion of it. I still wouldn't blame anybody who sells the player, the primary fault lies with EB.

Aug 14, 2017 at 4:13 PM Post #273 of 358
Fair enough, but why would you want to wear their t-shirt and give them free advertising? No one should buy this DAP at $600. Maybe for $200.

Well, someone might want to "modify" the shirt to provide more accurate advertising. Anyway it was part of the agreement with EB, and they failed to deliver on it, and they did the same thing with the Finder.

Aug 14, 2017 at 5:43 PM Post #274 of 358
For those that have issues with UAPP not working, did you try updating it?
The error you get is it the "usb device error"? or does the app not run at all?

Also, did you try updating Tidal? just wondering.

And I am NOT looking for a "echobox should have done this already" discussion, we know what they should have done already. I am just trying to understand if there is hope in getting your unit running.

Ignore me if you don't want to try at all, that's your call.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2017 at 6:30 PM Post #275 of 358
For those that have issues with UAPP not working, did you try updating it?
The error you get is it the "usb device error"? or does the app not run at all?

Also, did you try updating Tidal? just wondering.

And I am NOT looking for a "echobox should have done this already" discussion, we know what they should have done already. I am just trying to understand if there is hope in getting your unit running.

Ignore me if you don't want to try at all, that's your call.

I get a "the programme is not responding" then the would you like to wait or close...

Why would I need to update it?

I dont use it for streaming at all, only playing from the internal storage or sd card.

Aug 14, 2017 at 8:39 PM Post #276 of 358
You could try reloading UAPP or updating it to the latest version. It might fix the start-up issue.

I get a "the programme is not responding" then the would you like to wait or close...

Why would I need to update it?

I dont use it for streaming at all, only playing from the internal storage or sd card.

Aug 15, 2017 at 7:39 PM Post #278 of 358
That's so weird that you guys are having so many problems.
Out of all the issues described above the only one my unit shares is the date/time resetting after a shutdown.

I love the way mine sounds, it's a meaningful step up from my ibasso D-Zero MK2, and powers all my cans with real authority and a lovely euphonic sound.
The screen is as solid as the one on my Sony Xperia cell-phone.
The fit and finish on my unit is perfect, no nasties whatsoever.
I've been using Tidal and Spotify without any notable issues, and loving it!
I spent a long time being concerned whether we would indeed get a good product, or whether we would get anything at all.
Since I got mine though, I've been delighted with it.

Caveat:
I've yet to try any non Tidal/Spotify hi-rez listening, so can't offer any opinion there, but really, you guys units sound like they came from a different manufacturer entirely!
Sorry the experience has gone this way for you.

Aug 16, 2017 at 5:22 PM Post #279 of 358
So dear gentle folk, now that we have received our units I would like to ask a few questions.

Firstly battery life; I get a few hours (2 or 3 hours max) from fully charged to no battery. I only have the stock music player running as USB audio pro doesn't work. I don't use streaming services and no other programmes are running.

Does anyone else have this issue?

Secondly the screen.

If I touch mine lightly it bends inwards it is extremely fragile. Any touch anywhere on the screen distorts the whole screen..
Anyone else with poor screen issues?

I would appreciate your responses so thank you in advance.

Aug 16, 2017 at 5:37 PM Post #280 of 358
Have you approached Echobox regarding these issues?
I ask as your unit sounds VERY different to mine (see my post above).
I'm getting around 6.5-7 hours battery via Tidal BTW.
I haven't timed accurately, but I've been using my Explorer through a hi-fi at max volume and it lasts me an entire 'day' of listening which is at least 6.5 hours for me.

I can't comment on non Tidal listening with any accuracy though, as I haven't done much listening that way at all.

Explain these problems to Echobox and see what they say?

Aug 17, 2017 at 12:49 PM Post #282 of 358
If I touch mine lightly it bends inwards it is extremely fragile. Any touch anywhere on the screen distorts the whole screen..
Anyone else with poor screen issues?

My screen has a very small amount of give, but does not deform or distort.

I can't comment on the battery, since I always use my EB on the stand plugged in. I compared the sound vs unplugged and hear no difference.

Aug 17, 2017 at 1:44 PM Post #283 of 358
My screen has a very small amount of give, but does not deform or distort.

I can't comment on the battery, since I always use my EB on the stand plugged in. I compared the sound vs unplugged and hear no difference.

That might not be good for the longevity of the battery. I'm not an expert but I think the battery does better with being allowed to discharge (not completely) with some regularity.

Aug 17, 2017 at 7:24 PM Post #284 of 358
That might not be good for the longevity of the battery. I'm not an expert but I think the battery does better with being allowed to discharge (not completely) with some regularity.

The type of battery in the Echobox does not suffer from memory effect, AFAIK. Some batteries are actually damaged by fully discharging. Either way, it is not really a concern for me since I don't ever use it unplugged.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memory_effect

Users who are viewing this thread

Back