Echobox Audio Explorer impressions and discussion thread
Aug 18, 2017 at 7:50 AM Post #287 of 358
The type of battery in the Echobox does not suffer from memory effect, AFAIK. Some batteries are actually damaged by fully discharging. Either way, it is not really a concern for me since I don't ever use it unplugged.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memory_effect

I wasn't referring to memory effect, exactly. More like the voltage depression effect mentioned later in the article you linked. It comes from the trickle chargers constantly slightly over-charging. As long as you never want to use it unplugged, it doesn't really matter for you though.

Aug 18, 2017 at 10:40 AM Post #288 of 358
I wasn't referring to memory effect, exactly. More like the voltage depression effect mentioned later in the article you linked. It comes from the trickle chargers constantly slightly over-charging. As long as you never want to use it unplugged, it doesn't really matter for you though.

Thanks for the warning. I was not aware of that.

Aug 18, 2017 at 12:32 PM Post #290 of 358
IMG_0554.GIF
I wish I could attend. If only I lived nearby....

I am hoping someone with a defective unit turns up and gives EB their dues...
I wish I could attend. If only I lived nearby....

I am hoping someone with a defective unit turns up and gives EB their dues...
:ksc75smile:

Aug 19, 2017 at 9:41 PM Post #291 of 358
So dear gentle folk, now that we have received our units I would like to ask a few questions.

Firstly battery life; I get a few hours (2 or 3 hours max) from fully charged to no battery. I only have the stock music player running as USB audio pro doesn't work. I don't use streaming services and no other programmes are running.

Does anyone else have this issue?

Secondly the screen.

If I touch mine lightly it bends inwards it is extremely fragile. Any touch anywhere on the screen distorts the whole screen..
Anyone else with poor screen issues?

I would appreciate your responses so thank you in advance.

Not sure about the screen issue, but the battery time is mediocre when listening to Hidef. 2-3 hours seems correct, it might be a little more with Tidal Spotify as it uses more resources..

Regarding 'updating' UAPP! Well you can't.. the version with the EchoPox is a custom jobby, and because there is no Google store you have to sideload a new version, paid as well, so you actually have to buy the 'proprietary' controling software! Doh!. This audio player seems to have been designed by Donald Trump, its promised so much yet delivered, clunky, dodgy, half-baked product and then lies and takes no responsibility for the issues they created.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2017 at 12:06 AM Post #292 of 358
Not sure about the screen issue, but the battery time is mediocre when listening to Hidef. 2-3 hours seems correct, it might be a little more with Tidal Spotify as it uses more resources..

Regarding 'updating' UAPP! Well you can't.. the version with the EchoPox is a custom jobby, and because there is no Google store you have to sideload a new version, paid as well, so you actually have to buy the 'proprietary' controling software! Doh!. This audio player seems to have been designed by Donald Trump, its promised so much yet delivered, clunky, dodgy, half-baked product and then lies and takes no responsibility for the issues they created.

Wow, that is extremely disappointing. Wasn't aware of that. What a boat anchor this thing turned out to be, after such a ridiculously long delay. I held out some hopes based on UAPP, but if they too are of no benefit, the unit truly is an orphan and dead in the water.

Aug 20, 2017 at 9:43 AM Post #293 of 358
It's been working fine for me. So no boat anchor or door stop here. Yes, there are minor glitches, but rarely.

Oh, and my battery lasts about 6-7 hours. Would be nice for more but not a big deal at the office only on the road..

Aug 20, 2017 at 2:17 PM Post #294 of 358
It's been working fine for me. So no boat anchor or door stop here. Yes, there are minor glitches, but rarely.

Oh, and my battery lasts about 6-7 hours. Would be nice for more but not a big deal at the office only on the road..

A lot of variability in the quality of the units. Mine was largely free of defects except for the clock problem and questionable wifi, but I just didn't think it sounded good. But the fact that some decent units are out there doesn't help those that have lemons. There are several reports of units that shouldn't have left the factory, and I can understand the reluctance to send them in for warranty repair.

Aug 20, 2017 at 2:32 PM Post #295 of 358
Actually you can, however you have to wait for Echobox and UAPP to release an update. As I remember they already have updated it at least once, in pre-production units.
Not sure what you are talking about "buying" but I would think they would send out the updates when/if they happen. Or at least make them available to registered owners. We shall see.
Whether they will release another update? well?? your guess is as good as mine.

That being said, I have not had the issues some are having with the app, it's not prefect but it does work for me.

Aug 20, 2017 at 2:33 PM Post #296 of 358
Agreed, does seem to be some variability going on....
A lot of variability in the quality of the units. Mine was largely free of defects except for the clock problem and questionable wifi, but I just didn't think it sounded good. But the fact that some decent units are out there doesn't help those that have lemons. There are several reports of units that shouldn't have left the factory, and I can understand the reluctance to send them in for warranty repair.

Aug 20, 2017 at 2:59 PM Post #297 of 358
Actually you can, however you have to wait for Echobox and UAPP to release an update. As I remember they already have updated it at least once, in pre-production units.
Not sure what you are talking about "buying" but I would think they would send out the updates when/if they happen. Or at least make them available to registered owners. We shall see.
Whether they will release another update? well?? your guess is as good as mine.

That being said, I have not had the issues some are having with the app, it's not prefect but it does work for me.
I asked Davy the UAPP guy whether I had the latest version on mine (3.5.7) and received a response today - yes but there's an update in testing.

Aug 20, 2017 at 5:08 PM Post #298 of 358
I'm having a largely positive experience with my Explorer so far.
I actually like the sound. When I first heard it at CanJam London in 1915, sorry 2015, the Echobox engineer said it had been tuned like vinyl - that's what I remember and that's what I've got.
Tidal is streaming and downloading ok; the optical out works, from UAPP, so it can feed my Mojo if I want a more detailed sound. 24/192 and DSD are playing fine. The pop on startup I can live with for now - I was concerned about clicks between album or playlist tracks and that doesn't seem to be the case.
I've managed to install HiBy Music so it works as a remote control for my Cayin N3 / Mojo / Neco v5 / Minirig stack which is really neat. With the Cayin USB C to coax lead I can even control volume remotely which is a real kicker.
Sure it's not perfect, there's some work to be done to stabilise and improve the experience, in my view, but nothing suggesting to me that the hardware is beyond salvage. A UAPP update is in test now according to first-hand information from the developer.
In terms of quality control and variability, I really feel for those of you with unusable units but I would personally stick with it and see what Echobox are prepared to do under warranty.
Echobox came under intense pressure from many of the backers to release something, anything and, oh look, they weren't ready. Tricky really.
Echobox blinked first and rushed out some units before getting their production bugs ironed out.
I've voiced the opinion before on here that our role as backers is to support a new business as they learn and make mistakes. Calling them thieves and scammers from the sidelines doesn't seem helpful; maybe this trip isn't for you next time.
I love my Explorer already in a way I doubt I could ever love an Onkyo or a FIIO. I love that mine is unique, I love the way it feels, I love that as I handle it it will start to absorb the oils from my skin and develop a patina. I love the tuning decisions that have been made, I love how versatile it is. There's a few stability issues I don't love about it; let's see how those are worked out now that we are in production.

Aug 20, 2017 at 6:06 PM Post #299 of 358
I actually like the sound. When I first heard it at CanJam London in 1915, sorry 2015, the Echobox engineer said it had been tuned like vinyl - that's what I remember and that's what I've got.
Tidal is streaming and downloading ok; the optical out works, from UAPP, so it can feed my Mojo if I want a more detailed sound. 24/192 and DSD are playing fine. The pop on startup I can live with for now - I was concerned about clicks between album or playlist tracks and that doesn't seem to be the case.
I've managed to install HiBy Music so it works as a remote control for my Cayin N3 / Mojo / Neco v5 / Minirig stack which is really neat. With the Cayin USB C to coax lead I can even control volume remotely which is a real kicker.
Sure it's not perfect, there's some work to be done to stabilise and improve the experience, in my view, but nothing suggesting to me that the hardware is beyond salvage. A UAPP update is in test now according to first-hand information from the developer.
In terms of quality control and variability, I really feel for those of you with unusable units but I would personally stick with it and see what Echobox are prepared to do under warranty.
Echobox came under intense pressure from many of the backers to release something, anything and, oh look, they weren't ready. Tricky really.
Echobox blinked first and rushed out some units before getting their production bugs ironed out.
I've voiced the opinion before on here that our role as backers is to support a new business as they learn and make mistakes. Calling them thieves and scammers from the sidelines doesn't seem helpful; maybe this trip isn't for you next time.
I love my Explorer already in a way I doubt I could ever love an Onkyo or a FIIO. I love that mine is unique, I love the way it feels, I love that as I handle it it will start to absorb the oils from my skin and develop a patina. I love the tuning decisions that have been made, I love how versatile it is. There's a few stability issues I don't love about it; let's see how those are worked out now that we are in production.

You need to stack with a DAP with these reported specs? That says a lot. With my limited experience with the unit, I felt it didn't live up to its specifications, and this really confirms it. From my experience there are serious problems with the Explorer's output, it was well below what it should be. More glad I'm rid of it every day. A player in even the first IGG price range needs to be capable of standing on its own without hardware or software problems. I have a couple that do, and only the Explorer did not.

BTW, whatever happened to @glassmonkey, who started this thread and was a major cheerleader for EB but received a majorly defective unit as the first off the line? He sees to have disappeared from anything regarding EB, but is still very active on the forum. Hmmm?
And yes, after 18 months of delays, backers expected something for their money. I don't blame them, just glad I'm rid of EB, but still feel for the people who didn't get what they were promised.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2017 at 2:01 AM Post #300 of 358
You need to stack with a DAP with these reported specs? That says a lot. With my limited experience with the unit, I felt it didn't live up to its specifications, and this really confirms it. From my experience there are serious problems with the Explorer's output, it was well below what it should be. More glad I'm rid of it every day. A player in even the first IGG price range needs to be capable of standing on its own without hardware or software problems. I have a couple that do, and only the Explorer did not.

BTW, whatever happened to @glassmonkey, who started this thread and was a major cheerleader for EB but received a majorly defective unit as the first off the line? He sees to have disappeared from anything regarding EB, but is still very active on the forum. Hmmm?
And yes, after 18 months of delays, backers expected something for their money. I don't blame them, just glad I'm rid of EB, but still feel for the people who didn't get what they were promised.
No, as an enthusiast I might choose to stack it with Mojo for a different flavour. The Cayin N3 etc. stack is for a totally different use case, using Explorer as a remote control only.
For portable use, the Explorer is driving my Phonon 4000 on-ear headphones and Flare Audio Flares PRO more than adequately.
I don't know how output measures against specification.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back