Echobox Audio Explorer impressions and discussion thread
Jul 30, 2017 at 8:43 PM Post #241 of 358
Yes I think you hit the nail on the head. UAPP works great on other devices, but they are better spec'd. The problems are likely hardware related due to the weak SOC and low RAM. Glad mine is sold, and my Finders too, no more EB for me. I wasn't impressed with the sound even with lower resolution music that the player could handle.

I don't think these problems are fixable.

I agree, I think EB had/has a massive failure on thier hands. There's no way they're going to be able to sell these anywhere near $600 once the reviews/comments get out. I guess that's what happens when someone thinks they know how build something, but when it comes right down to it, they had no idea what they were doing!
I feel sorry for all the Explorer owner's out there that are struggling. Hopefully they'll unload them while they can.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2017 at 8:50 PM Post #242 of 358
Anyone else having trouble copying music to the Explorer via Windows explorer? The copy keeps stalling on me, to both internal memory and sd card. I've had to resort to putting the sd card directly into my laptop to do a local copy instead.
I noticed on Win10 it stalls sometime and causes repeating error copy to the Explrorer's local storage, but it then completes. Mind you the Explorer was running out of space. The copy doesn't show you how much data is copy and what speed, which is a pain

Jul 30, 2017 at 10:18 PM Post #243 of 358
How can you sell the unit knowing all the issues or potential issues? At the Indiegogo price, it is no where functioning for even that price. The warranty is not transferable as well so buyer will have no support.

Jul 31, 2017 at 12:00 AM Post #244 of 358
It's funny, that exactly how I ended up with the Onkyo DP-X1 tired of the wait but now it has arrived my enthusiasm has been blunted totally.

I am a great fan of UAPP and use it on several devices glitch free when connected to a DAC, but on the Explorer GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!! the unit is just not useable and I think it may be down to the underpowered CPU and RAM that has been used for the Explorer, I say this because my only other poor experience of UAPP+DAC has been on an old Galaxy Nexus that I have tried but not been able to enjoy.

Just my guess. But shame as I had great hopes for this device.

Listening via UAPP and no DAC not so bad and for most users my issues won't necessarily reflect their own usage.

But no DAC means 192Khz limit which unfortunately not all my files fall below that

:deadhorse:

My DX-P1 on the other hand.......
I agree, I think EB had/has a massive failure on thier hands. There's no way they're going to be able to sell these anywhere near $600 once the reviews/comments get out. I guess that's what happens when someone thinks they know how build something, but when it comes right down to it, they had no idea what they were doing!
I feel sorry for all the Explorer owner's out there that are struggling. Hopefully they'll unload them while they can.

On the positive it sounds OK, they just don't have a proper software to maximize the under spec'd space-junk they're designed. They have been trying to market themselves as the 'Tidal' device, do Tidal even know they have a piece of Chinese Spacejunk that doesn't even deliver what it's supposed to? Mind you, Tidal have now allied themselves with heaps of other DAPS and DACs so that idea seems to have jettisoned pretty quickly... With all the DAPS out there on the market these days, and the viral marketing of forums like this, you would expect that the 'word of mouth' is pretty good. This ISN'T 'fake news' it seems now that more users are speaking out about the inherent flakiness of the software, obviously the 'trial' demo versions on this thread were done with devices supplied by the vendors, although that thread seems to have disappeared.....the Pono whilst it was a cheapily made device at least worked fine on Beta roll-out, but they still couldn't get people to pay $399US for them, these guys are asking $599, when you have Onkyo, Fiio selling better spec'd devices that WORK for 25-50% cheaper, yr gonna find it difficult to sell a brass razoo!

Jul 31, 2017 at 2:09 PM Post #245 of 358
"Is yours mahogany too henriks?"
Yes
@henriks Did you report the defect to EB? Are you going to send yours back for repairs, or are you going to live with it as-is?

For what it's worth, EB told me it will take approx 1.5 months to complete the repair, which will be performed with wood filler and polish. They also assured me that the mahogany units should no longer be problematic (which begs the obvious question: why was mine problematic?).

I'm hesitant to send it back, as it doesn't seem like any repairs will remove the potential for another crack to develop. I suppose I could request a different wood. What a hassle.

Jul 31, 2017 at 4:08 PM Post #246 of 358
@henriks Did you report the defect to EB? Are you going to send yours back for repairs, or are you going to live with it as-is?

For what it's worth, EB told me it will take approx 1.5 months to complete the repair, which will be performed with wood filler and polish. They also assured me that the mahogany units should no longer be problematic (which begs the obvious question: why was mine problematic?).

I'm hesitant to send it back, as it doesn't seem like any repairs will remove the potential for another crack to develop. I suppose I could request a different wood. What a hassle.

1.5 months???? That's absurd. And that's an EB 1.5 months.

It probably takes an hour or for the repair, and I would question if it would be perfect cosmetically or permanent. I bet if you request a different wood, you're going to have a VERY long wait. With the case on you aren't going to see it, but still you'd know its there and I wouldn't be surprised if more developed. If they didn't have this problem completely solved, they should have switched those units out for a different wood of the buyer's choice. And they absolutely shouldn't be leaving the factory that way, unless they're cracking after the fact, which is more worrisome. I'd be really ticked.

How likely are you to resell it, because that defect is going to lower the value even further. I'm glad I had a family member who took mine off my hands because he liked the novelty form factor and just needed something to use in his truck. He won't be playing any hi-rez stuff so he won't have the problems people are experiencing with that.

Aug 2, 2017 at 7:32 PM Post #248 of 358
Hi guys, can anybody compare this dap with another popular daps?ibasso dx80, Cayin N3i Fiio x5iii etc.?
Thank you.
I'm curious to know how it compares sonic wise as the audio quality is pretty good when USBAP actually works properly and doesn't have the intermittent stutters and pops !! Flac sounds good on VLC

Aug 2, 2017 at 8:46 PM Post #249 of 358
FWIW - For those having issue with hi res files:
I just tested my unit with 24 192 flac and AIFF and also DSF files and I have no stuttering or popping while the music is playing with UAPP.
For a stress test:
I also tried copying some hi res while listening to see what would happen (unit docked and connected to my computer copying to the card or internal memory while hi-res music was playing from card and internal).
Had no issues copying to the internal memory while listening to dsf files or 24 192 flac. from either internal or card.
I had some pops and stutters when copying a few gig to the card while listening to music off the card or internal memory.

If you are having UAPP issues playing hi res files I would suggest contacting Echobox about it, to me it sounds like there may be something amiss with your unit.

I have been using mine every day at work since I got it and it is working very well for the most part. There have been a few quirks, mainly when the wifi at work goes to hell, and an issue with the sleep function that requires restarting UAPP to get the amp fired back up when it goes to sleep. But it has not been nearly as bad as some of you have reported experiencing. It seems like there may be some QC issues?

The sound is great and it functions well for me, it also still gets some double takes when people think I have a flask on my desk. :)
Had a contractor ask what kind of whiskey I had in it. :beerchug:
Just waiting for HR to tap me on the shoulder...

Aug 9, 2017 at 8:39 AM Post #250 of 358
So i finally received my new unit after receiving one of the initial 45 units.

I've enjoyed the sound of the original with wifi off, so I'm not gonna comment on that. But what i will comment on is that i've tested the new one shortly this morning, and it now works as a streaming device! No crackle and hiss while streaming through Spotify! Wuhuu!

What i'm less thrilled about is that my new one arrived with a repaired crack in the wood. So it's not a unit where the wood cracked during shipping, but actually a faulty and visually repaired body :frowning2:

1fH5SGA.jpg

Aug 9, 2017 at 2:00 PM Post #252 of 358
Quite a few of these defective / damaged units are cropping up. I was always skeptical that all the wood was remade.

I think a new replacement units is going to be very hard to come by as I doubt that anymore will ever be made.

Aug 9, 2017 at 3:45 PM Post #253 of 358
So i finally received my new unit after receiving one of the initial 45 units.

I've enjoyed the sound of the original with wifi off, so I'm not gonna comment on that. But what i will comment on is that i've tested the new one shortly this morning, and it now works as a streaming device! No crackle and hiss while streaming through Spotify! Wuhuu!

What i'm less thrilled about is that my new one arrived with a repaired crack in the wood. So it's not a unit where the wood cracked during shipping, but actually a faulty and visually repaired body :frowning2:

1fH5SGA.jpg
I got the same thing sent to me. You can see where the just stuffed the crack with a little glue and called it good. Pretty disappointed in that.

Aug 9, 2017 at 3:52 PM Post #254 of 358
IMG_0519.JPG
I got the same thing sent to me. You can see where the just stuffed the crack with a little glue and called it good. Pretty disappointed in that.
Didn't even bother to smooth it out. You can see the circular shape of glue around the crack. It looks like they just mashed it in with their finger. Ignore my ghetto rigged screen protector i cut from an iphone 4 protector.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back