Echobox Audio Explorer impressions and discussion thread
Jul 27, 2017 at 7:41 PM Post #226 of 358
2) Uninstall TIDAL from your Explorer. You can do this by pressing and holding on the TIDAL App, then dragging it to the "Uninstall" icon at the top of the screen.
You cannot "uninstall" a preinstalled app; you can "Remove" the shortcut icon, and you can "Disable" the app itself, but you cannot uninstall it. How did you get around this and complete the update process?

Jul 27, 2017 at 7:58 PM Post #227 of 358
You cannot "uninstall" a preinstalled app; you can "Remove" the shortcut icon, and you can "Disable" the app itself, but you cannot uninstall it. How did you get around this and complete the update process?
OK, it seems it just removed it, no uninstalled it..At any rate that USM Pro app is buggier than insane.. The 'shuffle' mode doesn't even work, the songs stop and the player goes to sleep at the end of each track, and it definitely isn't gapless. It's a buggy beta version at best, and the issue with 192Hz flac files and random pops and static is definitely a software bug since it doesn't happen with VLC or Andriod 'music'..

Also how does one stop the the screen always auto-locking and going into sleep mode after every tune that you have to hit the volume nob to wake up? Nothing in System Settings

Jul 27, 2017 at 10:11 PM Post #228 of 358
OK, it seems it just removed it, no uninstalled it..At any rate that USM Pro app is buggier than bat****.. The 'shuffle' mode doesn't even work, the songs stop and the player goes to sleep at the end of each track, and it definitely isn't gapless. It's a buggy beta version at best, and the issue with 192Hz flac files and random pops and static is definitely a software bug since it doesn't happen with VLC or Andriod 'music'..

Also how does one stop the the screen always auto-locking and going into sleep mode after every tune that you have to hit the volume nob to wake up? Nothing in System Settings
What is this USM pro app that you are talking about? do you mean USB audio player pro? If so what version do you have? mine is 3.5.7 and seems to work pretty well.

Did you try changing the sleep time out in settings under display? That might help...??

Jul 28, 2017 at 1:13 AM Post #229 of 358
What is this USM pro app that you are talking about? do you mean USB audio player pro? If so what version do you have? mine is 3.5.7 and seems to work pretty well.

Did you try changing the sleep time out in settings under display? That might help...??

Sorry it is USB Pro app.. any files that is 24-192 gets random static-like pops, this doesn't happens with the exact same file under VLC or Music apps. I am using v 3.5.7

I upped the sleep time to 2mins ..see if that changes anything.. go no response from Echobox..ho-hum.

Jul 28, 2017 at 9:42 AM Post #230 of 358
Unfortunately, my unit arrived with a crack in the mahogany wood, almost perfectly centered, between the top of the screen and the metal cap. This unit was produced *after* changes were reportedly made in the production line to prevent this sort of thing from happening. However, it's worth mentioning that, on April 6th, in the Official Echobox Explorer Thread, Sam stated that they were still having trouble correcting the issue in mahogany units. Of course, my Explorer is mahogany. I guess they never found a definitive way to prevent the troublesome mahogany from cracking.

I informed Echobox, and I can either send the unit back so that it can be "fixed," or I can keep it as-is. Not sure how they would "fix" the unit, given that the problem is reportedly with the mahogany itself and the way it's shaped/housed. Has anyone actually sent in their unit to have a crack repaired? I'm hesitant to do this because, after waiting SO long to get the device in the first place, I'd hate to send it off, be without it again for an undetermined amount of time, and eventually get it back - only to have the same (or a new) crack appear in the wood sometime down the road. If EB intends to simply patch up the unit, I'd prefer to know how so that I can do it myself and not deal with the hassle of sending it from the US all the way to the factory.

I did send Echobox a lengthy email outlining my concerns, but I also wanted to ask if anyone here has the latest-and-greatest revision of the mahogany unit and is dealing with the same dilemma.

I've included a picture of the cracked unit. Definitely a bummer.

ExplorerCrack.jpeg

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2017 at 2:36 AM Post #232 of 358
Unfortunately, my unit arrived with a crack in the mahogany wood, almost perfectly centered, between the top of the screen and the metal cap. This unit was produced *after* changes were reportedly made in the production line to prevent this sort of thing from happening. However, it's worth mentioning that, on April 6th, in the Official Echobox Explorer Thread, Sam stated that they were still having trouble correcting the issue in mahogany units. Of course, my Explorer is mahogany. I guess they never found a definitive way to prevent the troublesome mahogany from cracking.

I informed Echobox, and I can either send the unit back so that it can be "fixed," or I can keep it as-is. Not sure how they would "fix" the unit, given that the problem is reportedly with the mahogany itself and the way it's shaped/housed. Has anyone actually sent in their unit to have a crack repaired? I'm hesitant to do this because, after waiting SO long to get the device in the first place, I'd hate to send it off, be without it again for an undetermined amount of time, and eventually get it back - only to have the same (or a new) crack appear in the wood sometime down the road. If EB intends to simply patch up the unit, I'd prefer to know how so that I can do it myself and not deal with the hassle of sending it from the US all the way to the factory.

I did send Echobox a lengthy email outlining my concerns, but I also wanted to ask if anyone here has the latest-and-greatest revision of the mahogany unit and is dealing with the same dilemma.

I've included a picture of the cracked unit. Definitely a bummer.

I got the same crack in the bottom..
Damn, sorry to hear that guys.
Is yours mahogany too henriks?

Jul 29, 2017 at 3:11 AM Post #233 of 358
I just sold mine for exactly what I paid through the startup $254. I couldn't get past all the glitches.
It would NEVER play all my songs no matter what settings I used. It would lock up at least 3-5 times per 2 hour session. The clicking, the lack of installed Spotify(not that big a deal, side loaded it), mostly the lack of Google store, and no side play, pause or forward/ backward buttons made it hard to use in a pocket. I just couldn't get past all the wonky stuff it was doing. Looked beautiful, but my Onkyo with balanced headphone jack, aptx Bluetooth, Google store, DUAL MEMORY card, easy buttons on the side is so much easier and bullet proof.

I'm so pissed I waited so long and got so disappointed.

My twenty cents. Getting off soap box.....

Jul 29, 2017 at 10:42 AM Post #235 of 358
Might be worth asking if Echobox would consider a change of wood?
(Assuming that Mahogany is more problematic than the other species)
It's a shame if Mahogany is more liable to cracking though, it's one of the better looking woods on offer.
The zebrawood is also very nice.

Jul 29, 2017 at 11:03 AM Post #236 of 358
I just sold mine for exactly what I paid through the startup $254. I couldn't get past all the glitches.
It would NEVER play all my songs no matter what settings I used. It would lock up at least 3-5 times per 2 hour session. The clicking, the lack of installed Spotify(not that big a deal, side loaded it), mostly the lack of Google store, and no side play, pause or forward/ backward buttons made it hard to use in a pocket. I just couldn't get past all the wonky stuff it was doing. Looked beautiful, but my Onkyo with balanced headphone jack, aptx Bluetooth, Google store, DUAL MEMORY card, easy buttons on the side is so much easier and bullet proof.

I'm so pissed I waited so long and got so disappointed.

My twenty cents. Getting off soap box.....
No need to get off the soapbox, I'm experiencing similar problem. The App they are using is buggy as batpoo , unfortunately its the only app that seems to play DSD. I get better performance with VLC, but i want to play DSF/DSD.. tonight i noticed that there is ocassional stuttering with DSF files, along with the static pop I get with 24-192 flac files.. the unit gets some good audio, but they better find a decent software transport or they will be dead in the water faster than a member of the Trump.Administration! The fact they are trying to ask $599US for their unit is laughable, considering what is out there and works. That comes to nearly $1000Aus, i can get an A&K player that spunds better and doesnt have glitchy, chintzy software on it. The issue with the wood is crap as well. I feel a bit Cheated by Donny Darko's DAR blog for hyping this device, its turned out to be a bit of a lemon, and will be a total flop if they dont sort out their software.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2017 at 3:24 PM Post #237 of 358
No need to get off the soapbox, I'm experiencing similar problem. The App they are using is buggy as batpoo , unfortunately its the only app that seems to play DSD. I get better performance with VLC, but i want to play DSF/DSD.. tonight i noticed that there is ocassional stuttering with DSF files, along with the static pop I get with 24-192 flac files.. the unit gets some good audio, but they better find a decent software transport or they will be dead in the water faster than a member of the Trump.Administration! The fact they are trying to ask $599US for their unit is laughable, considering what is out there and works. That comes to nearly $1000Aus, i can get an A&K player that spunds better and doesnt have glitchy, chintzy software on it. The issue with the wood is crap as well. I feel a bit Cheated by Donny Darko's DAR blog for hyping this device, its turned out to be a bit of a lemon, and will be a total flop if they dont sort out their software.

It was just too much trouble to try to get the Explorer to work right, fighting, deleting, re-installing files ( per USB Audio Pro staff) and several weeks and many hours of frustration. I found myself going back to my Onkyo DP-X1 because it just WORKS! It's both sad & funny, because I bought the Onkyo after getting tired and frustrated waiting for the Explorer to ship. It could have been such a beautiful alternative to all the otherwise common looking players. I just had to unload the Explorer before it became worthless. Not knowing if they'll fix the problems, or just leave it to the graveyard of electronics and move on, leaving us their backers in the dirt.

Jul 30, 2017 at 2:53 PM Post #238 of 358
Damn, sorry to hear that guys.
Is yours mahogany too henriks?

Agreed!

It's hard to comprehend how these units have been sent, delivered under these conditions.
Wasn't there an Echobox employee overseeing manufacturing and QC?
Surely this individual had up close and personal input at every stage?
Certainly communication from TeamEchobox gave this illusion?
It's a great, great shame after all this waiting that recipients are receiving their units as such.
Hopefully they can rectify the issues without too much stress?

Jul 30, 2017 at 3:26 PM Post #239 of 358
It was just too much trouble to try to get the Explorer to work right, fighting, deleting, re-installing files ( per USB Audio Pro staff) and several weeks and many hours of frustration. I found myself going back to my Onkyo DP-X1 because it just WORKS! It's both sad & funny, because I bought the Onkyo after getting tired and frustrated waiting for the Explorer to ship. It could have been such a beautiful alternative to all the otherwise common looking players. I just had to unload the Explorer before it became worthless. Not knowing if they'll fix the problems, or just leave it to the graveyard of electronics and move on, leaving us their backers in the dirt.

It's funny, that exactly how I ended up with the Onkyo DP-X1 tired of the wait but now it has arrived my enthusiasm has been blunted totally.

I am a great fan of UAPP and use it on several devices glitch free when connected to a DAC, but on the Explorer GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!! the unit is just not useable and I think it may be down to the underpowered CPU and RAM that has been used for the Explorer, I say this because my only other poor experience of UAPP+DAC has been on an old Galaxy Nexus that I have tried but not been able to enjoy.

Just my guess. But shame as I had great hopes for this device.

Listening via UAPP and no DAC not so bad and for most users my issues won't necessarily reflect their own usage.

But no DAC means 192Khz limit which unfortunately not all my files fall below that

:deadhorse:

My DX-P1 on the other hand.......

Jul 30, 2017 at 3:51 PM Post #240 of 358
It's funny, that exactly how I ended up with the Onkyo DP-X1 tired of the wait but now it has arrived my enthusiasm has been blunted totally.

I am a great fan of UAPP and use it on several devices glitch free when connected to a DAC, but on the Explorer GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!! the unit is just not useable and I think it may be down to the underpowered CPU and RAM that has been used for the Explorer, I say this because my only other poor experience of UAPP+DAC has been on an old Galaxy Nexus that I have tried but not been able to enjoy.

Just my guess. But shame as I had great hopes for this device.

Listening via UAPP and no DAC not so bad and for most users my issues won't necessarily reflect their own usage.

But no DAC means 192Khz limit which unfortunately not all my files fall below that

:deadhorse:

My DX-P1 on the other hand.......

Yes I think you hit the nail on the head. UAPP works great on other devices, but they are better spec'd. The problems are likely hardware related due to the weak SOC and low RAM. Glad mine is sold, and my Finders too, no more EB for me. I wasn't impressed with the sound even with lower resolution music that the player could handle.

I don't think these problems are fixable.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back