Eastsound E5 Plat.Ref. CDP - new/improved
Sep 3, 2008 at 6:12 AM Post #16 of 56
I just got info from Cattylink. They are finalizing the new E5 Reference - intitially it was going to use tubes in the output stage, which was why this was mentioned on their site. They long ago abandoned that idea.

The people at Cattylink are really excited about the new E5 Reference. If I thought it would be much better than the Rega Saturn I would pony up the 2k and get one.

I took Wisconsin less 20 and a half points against Marshall this Saturday, heavy (friend in Vegas). May use the winnings if I win.

Sep 6, 2008 at 6:02 AM Post #17 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by drarthurwells /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got info from Cattylink. They are finalizing the new E5 Reference - intitially it was going to use tubes in the output stage, which was why this was mentioned on their site. They long ago abandoned that idea.

The people at Cattylink are really excited about the new E5 Reference. If I thought it would be much better than the Rega Saturn I would pony up the 2k and get one.

I took Wisconsin less 20 and a half points against Marshall this Saturday, heavy (friend in Vegas). May use the winnings if I win.

Found out the price is $2,250 USD shipped anywhere (two days to the USA) but those who have previously purchased an E5 or E5 Signature can get a $500 discount - $1,750 shipped

Cattylink was preparing a shipment of E5 transport -laser parts and will include a E5 Reference in this shipment, since they get a break on multiple package shipment to the same location. Since shipping and related fees on an E5 is $250, I get the E5 Reference for only $1500. I sent them the money.

If my Wisconsin bet wins today it will more than pay the cost.

If it is not as good as the Saturn my youngest son needs a CD player and I will give the E5 Reference to him.

Cattylink advised me it is my son that might get the Rega Saturn and I might want the E5 Reference. I have my doubts.

Sep 7, 2008 at 9:09 PM Post #18 of 56
I've been away from here for so long...Arthur what is going on ? You don't have your E5 anymore ? Is the Saturn such an improvement ? I was looking into testing either a Rega Apollo or Cambridge 840C against my E5. I also went on Cattylinks site and I'm very interested in the reference E5. I'd really like to know how it turned out for you. I hope they make them more reliable. It's good to see you are still hanging around. I still get emails from people wanting to change their transport from time to time.
Mike

Sep 7, 2008 at 10:24 PM Post #21 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike FL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been away from here for so long...Arthur what is going on ? You don't have your E5 anymore ? Is the Saturn such an improvement ? I was looking into testing either a Rega Apollo or Cambridge 840C against my E5. I also went on Cattylinks site and I'm very interested in the reference E5. I'd really like to know how it turned out for you. I hope they make them more reliable. It's good to see you are still hanging around. I still get emails from people wanting to change their transport from time to time.
Mike

The original E5 was great for the money. I got a Rega Saturn about two years ago and prefer it over the E5. It is a Stereophile Class A component and is better overall than the E5 or E5 Signature, except for the superior 3-D image and greater openess (with better instrument separation) of the E5 compared to the Saturn.

The Saturn is just so smooth and pleasing, and I have recommended it on this forum since I got it.

I continue to provide free labor to anyone needing E5 tranport/laser repair even if they are not original owners, in spite of my switch to the Saturn. In recent years I have only done transport repair (or sent a new Transport to E5 owners who replaced it theirselves) on about four a year (some in Europe even). I don't mind spending a few hours a year to help E5 owners. I don't do Saturns - never even took mine apart to see how it is done.

Cattylink tells me that the new E5 Reference will hold its own against any CD player at any price - a bold claim for a $1750 shipped (price is if you once purchased an E5 from Cattylink) CD player. My new E5 Reference is being prepared for shipment and might arrive Wednesday if it is shipped Monday.

If the new E5 Reference is better than the Saturn, I will post my Saturn for sell on this site. If the Saturn is better then my son gets my E5 Reference (my 2K bet on Wisconsin againt Marshall was a winner yesterday, and pays for the E5 Reference).

Sep 8, 2008 at 8:09 PM Post #22 of 56
Arthur, please post a review either good or bad about the new machine. I really want to know as I've been thinking about upgrading mine for some time. When you mention that your Saturn is smoother, are you talking about the high freq. I find the E5 and the Cayin 265Ai combo a little shrill in that department sometimes depending on recordings. Do you think detail retrieval of the E5 is about on par with your Rega ?
Is Snowy Law still working for Cattylink ? I hope he would remember me as the 500$ rebate towards old E5 buyers is a nice incentive.

Fran, thanks for the links.

Mike

Sep 8, 2008 at 10:14 PM Post #23 of 56
The original E5 did have some slight tone glare and harshness at times, with some CDs.

The Saturn is smoother without these problems, but does not form 3-D tone images as well as the original E5. I have recommended the Saturn exclusively over the last few years, though the E5 is great at its price. I encourage others to save, steal, gamble, or beg to raise more money and buy better, if possible.

You can be quite happy with modest components as long as you don't hear the difference that a better component or cable can make.

Some people can't hear much difference between ICs or components, and say it is up to personal tastes. I disagree.

The CT Silver IC for $40 a pair from tweekgeek.com (or maybe tweakgeek.com) is far superior to Radio Shack Gold IC cables, and probably better than any IC under $150 per pair. The Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II is far superior to the CT Silver but at a much greater cost.

The HD 600 has the 3-D imaging of the Sony SA5000, both superior to the K710 and HD650 in this regard. The SA5000 is overly lean of tone, and bright overall, while the HD600 (with HD600 or HD650 stock cable) is lean with some glare at times, and the K701 is smooth and pleasant but has blurred tone edges and poor instrument separation (tones bleed into the space between instruments). Put a Cardas cable on the HD600 and its lean-ness and glare disappear, resulting in the finest headphone in my experience (including Stax electrostatics).

If you can't hear such things than you will be quite happy with a modest system. If you can hear a difference immediately, when you replace one thing with another, then go for top components and cables (at least the CT Silver for $40).

Sep 11, 2008 at 9:16 PM Post #24 of 56
Just got the Eastsound E5 Reference in. Initial brief listening made me believe it is superior to the Rega Saturn (putting up for sell). Need much more listening experience to describe the specific differences between the Rega Saturn and the E5 Platinum Reference.

Sep 12, 2008 at 1:39 PM Post #25 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Covenant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, so far the Azur 840C has become the 'Eastsound-killer', especially amongst the balanced crew, and i've seen alot of Zapfiltered/Clock modded Eastsounds sold in favor of the Azur for its dual-differential DAC and digital input.

Maybe the 840c has become an Eastsound+Zapfilter killer, but the E5 sounds fantastic without any mods if you are using the single ended outputs. The clock mods that some people did are likely unnecissary as the E5 already has a good clock implementation.

How much does the 840c cost again? Quote:

Originally Posted by drarthurwells /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just got the Eastsound E5 Reference in. Initial brief listening made me believe it is superior to the Rega Saturn (putting up for sell). Need much more listening experience to describe the specific differences between the Rega Saturn and the E5 Platinum Reference.

Superior in what way? Any pictures of the unit? Internal shots would be nice as well.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 13, 2008 at 1:20 AM Post #27 of 56
Chucked the Saturn pretty fast Doc
wink_face.gif

Looks like some parts replacements but the same topology for the most part, op amps for the balanced outputs.
I would not expect this even comes close to beating high end sources, and certainly not worth its doubled price tag...

The clock does improve the highs in the E5, if I remember correctly when I installed one in my old E5

Sep 13, 2008 at 3:33 AM Post #28 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by DigiPete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Chucked the Saturn pretty fast Doc
wink_face.gif

Looks like some parts replacements but the same topology for the most part, op amps for the balanced outputs.
I would not expect this even comes close to beating high end sources, and certainly not worth its doubled price tag...

The clock does improve the highs in the E5, if I remember correctly when I installed one in my old E5

I bought DigiPete's E5 from morphsci. I can say without a doubt the clock modded player is far superior to the stock E5 as a transport. While it is hard to say just what mod makes what improvements used as a player. I had a Philips 963SA with only the zap filter mod and I always thought the treble sounded smeared on the 963SA vs the zap filter AND clock modded Sony 555ES.

So, I guess I am saying I have come to the conclusion the stock E5s clock isnt that good. I was thinking about picking up another E5/ zap filtered player. But, my recollections of the 963SA without the clock and my recent experiences with the fully modded E5 as a transport led me to pass on that E5 .... and buy a fully modded Sacdmods 9100ES instead.

Sep 13, 2008 at 3:38 AM Post #29 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think it's time Dr Wells gets his MOT back

What? You dont expect Art to provide us with another Cattylink shillathon do you?
popcorn.gif

Sep 13, 2008 at 4:13 PM Post #30 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think it's time Dr Wells gets his MOT back

Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What? You dont expect Art to provide us with another Cattylink shillathon do you?
popcorn.gif

You mean a Rega Saturn MOT or shill, don't you?

Search my posts.

For the past two years I have been recommending the Satrun and not the E5.

Why don't you guys (gawk and sacd lover) buy my Saturn - a Stereophile Class A component that is highly recommended by everyone? Not sold by cattylink also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back