Eastsound E5 Plat.Ref. CDP - new/improved
Jun 3, 2008 at 5:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 56

drarthurwells

Headphoneus Supremus
Jun 3, 2008 at 6:23 PM Post #2 of 56
Wow... you're back, Doc!

We all thought you had "Slipped the surly bonds of earth" to "reach out and touch the face of God"... and... were "with us in spirit only" (so to speak).

Just so you know... no one... I mean no one... is going to pay the inflated price of the E5 Platinum/Premium, etc. - it won't happen!

Just too many good alternatives for lower prices.

Jun 3, 2008 at 8:57 PM Post #3 of 56
I saw that info also a while back, many substantial improvements for Platinum model. Also notice that display is now below CD tray.......

With dollar value dropping like a rock last couple years I am curious what price Cattylink can sell this to USA customers, still have my E5 Esound.

Another option is to get mods for older E5, professional modders love this unit because of high quality parts and superior design layout, scales up very nicely

Jun 3, 2008 at 9:31 PM Post #4 of 56
Nice upgrades alright, but at almost twice the price of the E5 - its a fair rise in price. Lot of competition out there for it.

I wonder if theres a thread for simple mods the E5 - I'll confess to never having opened mine at all! If there was some changes possible, caps or opamps I'd be game for that.

E5 is a solid machine though!

Fran

Jun 3, 2008 at 10:19 PM Post #5 of 56
Well, so far the Azur 840C has become the 'Eastsound-killer', especially amongst the balanced crew, and i've seen alot of Zapfiltered/Clock modded Eastsounds sold in favor of the Azur for its dual-differential DAC and digital input.

The main selling point of the E5 Euro was its quality at low cost, and while it would make sense to release an upgrade that could challenge the likes of 840C, the cost of the Platinum seems too prohibitive to make it competetive.

Jun 4, 2008 at 2:09 PM Post #7 of 56
mmm, well nothing I have is balanced, except my E5 and when I did make up a set of leads to go from bal to unbal, I couldn't hear any difference in the sound.

I will say that the price is pretty high for a few different opamps and some internal wiring. However there seems to have been some work done on the PS which would seem to mark the boys from the men in things digital.

Can see that sales would be that strong though.

Fran

Jun 5, 2008 at 7:47 AM Post #8 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by fran /img/forum/go_quote.gif
mmm, well nothing I have is balanced, except my E5 and when I did make up a set of leads to go from bal to unbal, I couldn't hear any difference in the sound.

I will say that the price is pretty high for a few different opamps and some internal wiring. However there seems to have been some work done on the PS which would seem to mark the boys from the men in things digital.

Can see that sales would be that strong though.

Fran

The E5 Plat. Ref. is not a modded E5 Signature model - it is a total redesign.

It is aimed at being the best in the world.

If made in the USA it would cost $5,000 +.

It uses a different DAC, and employs tubes in the audio output.

I now get very transparent and realistic sound with the Saturn in my headphone system, where I do my serious music listening. I am so happy with the Rega Saturn that I am afraid the E5 Plat. Ref. may not be worth the added expense.

Somebody pony up the $2,000 + USD and let me know how it sounds. Or give me a top price for my Saturn.

Jun 5, 2008 at 4:37 PM Post #9 of 56
Dr Art
Where did you see the info about tube output?

I have no compelling reason to even think of selling my Rega Saturn at this time
redface.gif

Jun 5, 2008 at 8:16 PM Post #10 of 56
huh? tubes?

I can't see any mention of tubes anywhere on the page linked in the first post bar a piece to say they are included. Have you any more info Dr.?

Funny this should surface just as I'm thinking of sticking in some new diodes in my E5!!

If I can find the other thread I'll stick a post in there...

Fran

Jun 7, 2008 at 4:27 PM Post #11 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dr Art
Where did you see the info about tube output?

I have no compelling reason to even think of selling my Rega Saturn at this time
redface.gif

Look at the link I provided - bottom of the page - number 6.

Only place it would use tubes is in the audio output.

The Rega Saturn is the source in my headphone system, and with the HD600 and Cardas cable and Bada 12 with the right tubes, I am getting great sound and unable to detect any problems in any part of my HP system. Each change to that system has been a significant step up.

I am not sure changing the Rega Saturn with any other CD player in the world would do much for me.

Jun 7, 2008 at 5:05 PM Post #12 of 56
I like how they type; "WITH CRAZY EXPENSIVE PARTS SUCH AS..", "Ultimate high-end parts".

That's some serious salesman there.
cool.gif

Jun 7, 2008 at 7:32 PM Post #14 of 56
6 says .... all original vacuum tubes but I think that is a misprint. There are absolutely no tubes visable on the board. The analog output info only referances a class A output stage for single ended operation and the balanced output uses the cheap, outdated 5534 op amps. Looks like the same output stage in my original E5.

Jun 7, 2008 at 7:36 PM Post #15 of 56
If there is a tube output stage (or tube anything), where are the tube sockets?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back