EarWerkz, a new CIEM company, discussion thread
Dec 11, 2014 at 10:28 AM Post #376 of 1,544
  EarWerkz Supra vs Aurisonics Rockets

Tips: Comply T series on Supra and Sennheiser biflanges on Rockets. 
Sensitivity: Supra is more sensitive and Rockets require about 5 more clicks on the iPhone for similar volume.
Source: iPhone 5S

Thanks for the comments and comparison.  I take it from your comments you didn't have any issues with the sound when driving them from your iPhone 5S like TSIG reported?  Have you tried them from an amp yet?

Which cable is on the Supra you received?  Do they have the upgraded internal wiring?

Dec 11, 2014 at 1:14 PM Post #377 of 1,544
  Nah, still keeping you in suspense and then when the time is almost up and the goal is just short of reached we jump in and look like heroes 

The heroes are all of the backers, regardless of them being the early backers or otherwise.  Everyone is a team, and everyone is working towards the $26k goal.  I'm happy that currently, EarWerkz is approaching the doorsteps of $24k, and should make it to $26k in time without the waiters that wait until the last moment, even though I wouldn't see a reason why to wait now (especially if early backers do not dropout).  It's going to be great to get the Estron Linum BaX cable as well once all of the backers hit the mark!

EarWerkz Supra vs Aurisonics Rockets

Tips: Comply T series on Supra and Sennheiser biflanges on Rockets. 
Sensitivity: Supra is more sensitive and Rockets require about 5 more clicks on the iPhone for similar volume.
Source: iPhone 5S

Bass quantity isn’t too far off, with the Rockets seemingly having a hair more, but focus of bass is a little different.  The Supra bass seems more linear without any roll off in sub bass, whereas the Rockets bass seem to have a bit more mid and upper bass presence, and slight roll off under 50hz.  The Supra bass feels lighter on its feet, quicker, with better deep bass rumble.  The Rocket bass feel fuller with more punch and with a bit more decay in direct comparison.

The midrange of the Supra immediately strikes you with its clarity and airy nature.  There is absolutely no masking from bass or treble, just pure, innocent clarity.  In contrast, the Rockets bring the midrange slightly forward of neutral and vocal intimacy is its bread and butter.  Here the Rockets carry a slightly thicker note, which accentuates the lovely vocal intimacy but it doesn’t have the clarity, airiness of the Supra.  The Rocket note through the midrange is softer in character, with rolled, smoothed edges.  In direct comparison the Supra’s midrange is sharper in character (not to be confused with harsh), like someone who enunciates every syllable perfectly or perhaps etched in space.

While the midrange is the first focus for me, it’s treble that makes or breaks an iem for me over the long haul.  Odd peaks or dips really grate on my nerves.  The Supra treble is super airy and sparkly but never sounds harsh or piercing to me.  It takes what I loved about the K3003 treble but tones it down a bit, making sure to never cross the line to shrill and annoying.  The airiness, the sparkle, the brassy tone, all without any of the nasties that can easily be found in many iems.  The Rockets also have that fantastically realistic, brassy tone but do not possess the soaring air of the Supra.  This is part of what gives the Supra its wide open feel and what I instantly fell in love with and raved about during the EP-2 demo.

As many of you may know, distortion guitar crunch and texture is something I pay very close attention to, as most of library consist of guitar driven rock.  The Supra’s clear and bright nature produce superb distortion guitars.  Grit and crunch are abundantly clear with razor sharp definition.  Even though the Rockets are softer and thicker through the midrange, it also has a rawness to its upper midrange, producing very believable distortion guitars with excellent sustain but grit and crunch lag a little behind the Supra here.

Following my focus on distortion guitars, next up are acoustic guitars.  The Rockets really shine here in note weight, sustain of string vibrations and realism of fingers sliding over the fretboard.  The airier nature of the Supra produces these same sounds just a bit thinner and sharper, falling just short of the Rockets realism.

I chose to do my first comparison with the Rockets because it’s one of my favorite iems I’ve ever heard in all my time on Head-Fi.  It’s a serious bang for buck offering that competes well above its point in my opinion.  Well, I feel the same way about the Supra.  Very few iem I’ve heard in any price bracket offer the sense of clarity, air and openness the Supra possess.  When it comes to much pricier models and offerings, sure those will possess some technical proficiencies in resolution, layering or imaging but when it comes to value and performance, as well as some of the best tonality on the market, it just doesn’t get any better than the Rockets, and now the Supra.

Thank you for the impressions, and comparison regarding the Supra versus Aurisonics Rockets.  Both IEMs look like they are great, and it's going to be a great day once all of the backers receive their Legendary-Treated Supras!  

It's great that more people are seeing what awesome things EarWerkz is doing, from Dale Lott from Aurisonics, to prominent local ATL music professionals, to the backers all around the world.

Most importantly, it is Jack, that is genuine and true to heart.  Active in the Kickstarter campaign, responding to everyone's inquiries, and deserves to be on the front page of Head-Fi (and then some!)

It's going to be a great day once we hit $26k...why not beyond? 

Dec 11, 2014 at 1:27 PM Post #378 of 1,544

The heroes are all of the backers, regardless of them being the early backers or otherwise.  Everyone is a team, and everyone is working towards the $26k goal.  I'm happy that currently, EarWerkz is approaching the doorsteps of $24k, and should make it to $26k in time without the waiters that wait until the last moment, even though I wouldn't see a reason why to wait now (especially if early backers do not dropout).  It's going to be great to get the Estron Linum BaX cable as well once all of the backers hit the mark!

Nah, imagine the pledged amount being at $25.7k and me fully backing the campaign and reaching the stretch goal - I'll be an international hero, people will sing songs about me and my legendary deed.
tongue_smile.gif

Dec 11, 2014 at 1:57 PM Post #381 of 1,544
Dec 11, 2014 at 2:10 PM Post #385 of 1,544
Thanks for the comments and comparison.  I take it from your comments you didn't have any issues with the sound when driving them from your iPhone 5S like TSIG reported?  Have you tried them from an amp yet?

Which cable is on the Supra you received?  Do they have the upgraded internal wiring?

No problems driving them from the iPhone. The entire EarWerkz lineup are all super sensitive and easy to drive. I'll be trying with a portable amp, as well as the AK240, a little later.

This Supra has the gray stock cable that is similar to the UE cables. It also has the upgraded internal wiring.

I'll post some pics this weekend.

Dec 11, 2014 at 2:14 PM Post #387 of 1,544
  Btw, we only need 6 more backers till the goal is reached 
beerchug.gif

Seems like there are some people starting to back the campaign for not one... but TWO supras! The number of backers hasn't gone up but the funds keep racking up!

Have I been constantly checking the page to see the progress? What? No... that's... ridiculous... ...
popcorn.gif

Dec 11, 2014 at 2:17 PM Post #388 of 1,544
Seems like there are some people starting to back the campaign for not one... but TWO supras! The number of backers hasn't gone up but the funds keep racking up!

Have I been constantly checking the page to see the progress? What? No... that's... ridiculous... ...:popcorn:

Does not surprise me. I did suggest earlier that backers can purchase an additional Supra for a loved one and/or friend to give them an awesome introduction to high fidelity audio.

The fact that additional Supras (up to 3 per backer) offers no additional shipping charges as well is awesome and further sweetens the deal! :etysmile:

Dec 11, 2014 at 2:59 PM Post #389 of 1,544

Have I been constantly checking the page to see the progress? What? No... that's... ridiculous... ...:popcorn:

I think the number of backers did go up thought. It was 76 yesterday, and now it's 84.

Dec 11, 2014 at 7:41 PM Post #390 of 1,544
No problems driving them from the iPhone. The entire EarWerkz lineup are all super sensitive and easy to drive. I'll be trying with a portable amp, as well as the AK240, a little later.

This Supra has the gray stock cable that is similar to the UE cables. It also has the upgraded internal wiring.

Thanks for the reply.  I look forward to your continued impressions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back