EarWerkz, a new CIEM company, discussion thread
Dec 11, 2014 at 2:58 AM Post #361 of 1,544
I don't think shotgunshane has heard the 1964 v6 stages. From what I gather from his brief impressions, the Supra should sound closer to the v6. I personally have heard the v6 and v6stage demos. I like both, but prefer the v6 slightly more due to it's more even neutrality (the v6s is slightly boosted in the subbass dept). I suspect that the Supras would be more neutral than your v6s, and it might make an excellent multipurpose back up iem that complements the v6s. just my 2 cents...

Dec 11, 2014 at 3:29 AM Post #362 of 1,544
Oh, I see how it is :wink:

I do have a question for the people who have heard the EP-2 (especially Shotgunshane): I have a pair of 1964 V6-Stages on the way, and that's pretty much the only thing holding me back from backing the Supra here and now. The V6S is also a bit of a neutral CIEM (though it does have a bit of a bass boost, but you get the idea), so I'm unsure that I'd use the Supra if I ended up backing them. I'd really appreciate any/all input on this!

Wish I could help you in regards to the sound impressions, unfortunately I haven't auditioned them but I have auditioned the V6-S and expecting my Rockets in any moment. Currently I'm backing both Supra's and Adel U6. When comparing my Dita's to the V6-S I preferred the Dita's for their (perceived) wider soundstage and actual size/fit. The V6-S is moulded but still generic and quite large. Even though I have average European ears there was some pressure in my outer ear. Due to the smaller size of the Supra's and tested ergonomics I expect them to have a much better fit, not just for my ears but for people with relatively small ears (and woman) as well. So why back both Supra's and 1964Adel U6 (V6-S)? Frankly, if it wasn't for the (unproven) adel concept - not wanting to miss out of it because if my hearing problem is the reason for backing - I would have dropped my pledge and just go for the Supra's. Jack has convinced me through his involving campaign and adequate email correspondence that he and his team have a clear vision on products, customer satisfaction and have ambitious plans. For me the Supra's are likely to be the step up to the (universal) Legend R. I know I'll end up selling one of them but for the price (it's half of the V6-S!) and added value of the stretch goals (have you checked the Linum BaX price?) I just have to get the Supra's, seems like a steal to me that will not pop up again on Kickstarter. Depending on SGS next impressions (today) I might even have to sell the Rockets again :wink:

Dec 11, 2014 at 6:04 AM Post #363 of 1,544

I wonder if the waiters turned into backers?  Who knows... 
bigsmile_face.gif

Nah, still keeping you in suspense and then when the time is almost up and the goal is just short of reached we jump in and look like heroes 

Dec 11, 2014 at 6:22 AM Post #365 of 1,544
I'm currently funding the 1964ears kickstarter, which is considerably more expensive than this, also with an unknown sound signature, but this one looks really interesting. I'm tempted to cancel my support for 1964 and hop onto this.

I've a couple of questions re this one incase anyone could help:

1. I'm currently a Senn IE8 user, and Shure 535 before that, so I'm used to a shape of a regular universal IEM that sticks out from my ears a bit. These look like they sit flat/flush inside the ear (https://s3.amazonaws.com/ksr/assets/002/914/830/45a6be94aac96be5d2e52f72d0f7a857_large.png?1416063806)  - how can this be without a custom mould of my ear? -I'm a little worried about the fit. Does anyone know how this would work?

2. The 1964ears kickstarter has an 8driver universal with a quad bore, which I'm presuming would be a considerable improvement on my IE8. I'm wondering what sort of signature the Supra would have? Would it compare to something else in the 1964ears lineup or even even to my IE8.

I really like the look of these IEM's, they look good, have some decent accessories, and technically look ok. I'm just wondering if there's much bang to the buck for the $300, over my IE8's.

Dec 11, 2014 at 6:37 AM Post #366 of 1,544
These write ups from Shotgunshane might be of help to some

http://cymbacavum.com/2014/10/26/the-backyard-biz-shotgunshanes-visit-to-earwerkz/

http://www.head-fi.org/t/737233/earwerkz-a-new-ciem-company-discussion-thread/15#post_11001064

http://www.head-fi.org/t/737233/earwerkz-a-new-ciem-company-discussion-thread/30#post_11010587

http://www.head-fi.org/t/737233/earwerkz-a-new-ciem-company-discussion-thread/45#post_11015175

Bear in mind EarWerkz made some improvements to the original design since - check their UPDATE section on Kickstarter -

Dec 11, 2014 at 8:06 AM Post #367 of 1,544
comparisons with your uerm pls
biggrin.gif

and which cable did they ship with?

In the next couple of days I'll get the UERM comparo in.  It shipped with the gray stock cable.  I actually like the gray stock cable a lot b/c it's very similar to the UE stock cables without the proprietary shrouds over the housing pins.

Should have added a question mark here
rolleyes.gif

Yeah, last night didn't go as planned.  Didn't get any listening in but am listening now.  Some thoughts coming shortly.

Dec 11, 2014 at 9:02 AM Post #369 of 1,544
EarWerkz Supra vs Aurisonics Rockets

Tips: Comply T series on Supra and Sennheiser biflanges on Rockets. 
Sensitivity: Supra is more sensitive and Rockets require about 5 more clicks on the iPhone for similar volume.
Source: iPhone 5S

Bass quantity isn’t too far off, with the Rockets seemingly having a hair more, but focus of bass is a little different.  The Supra bass seems more linear without any roll off in sub bass, whereas the Rockets bass seem to have a bit more mid and upper bass presence, and slight roll off under 50hz.  The Supra bass feels lighter on its feet, quicker, with better deep bass rumble.  The Rocket bass feel fuller with more punch and with a bit more decay in direct comparison.

The midrange of the Supra immediately strikes you with its clarity and airy nature.  There is absolutely no masking from bass or treble, just pure, innocent clarity.  In contrast, the Rockets bring the midrange slightly forward of neutral and vocal intimacy is its bread and butter.  Here the Rockets carry a slightly thicker note, which accentuates the lovely vocal intimacy but it doesn’t have the clarity, airiness of the Supra.  The Rocket note through the midrange is softer in character, with rolled, smoothed edges.  In direct comparison the Supra’s midrange is sharper in character (not to be confused with harsh), like someone who enunciates every syllable perfectly or perhaps etched in space.

While the midrange is the first focus for me, it’s treble that makes or breaks an iem for me over the long haul.  Odd peaks or dips really grate on my nerves.  The Supra treble is super airy and sparkly but never sounds harsh or piercing to me.  It takes what I loved about the K3003 treble but tones it down a bit, making sure to never cross the line to shrill and annoying.  The airiness, the sparkle, the brassy tone, all without any of the nasties that can easily be found in many iems.  The Rockets also have that fantastically realistic, brassy tone but do not possess the soaring air of the Supra.  This is part of what gives the Supra its wide open feel and what I instantly fell in love with and raved about during the EP-2 demo.

As many of you may know, distortion guitar crunch and texture is something I pay very close attention to, as most of library consist of guitar driven rock.  The Supra’s clear and bright nature produce superb distortion guitars.  Grit and crunch are abundantly clear with razor sharp definition.  Even though the Rockets are softer and thicker through the midrange, it also has a rawness to its upper midrange, producing very believable distortion guitars with excellent sustain but grit and crunch lag a little behind the Supra here.

Following my focus on distortion guitars, next up are acoustic guitars.  The Rockets really shine here in note weight, sustain of string vibrations and realism of fingers sliding over the fretboard.  The airier nature of the Supra produces these same sounds just a bit thinner and sharper, falling just short of the Rockets realism.

I chose to do my first comparison with the Rockets because it’s one of my favorite iems I’ve ever heard in all my time on Head-Fi.  It’s a serious bang for buck offering that competes well above its point in my opinion.  Well, I feel the same way about the Supra.  Very few iem I’ve heard in any price bracket offer the sense of clarity, air and openness the Supra possess.  When it comes to much pricier models and offerings, sure those will possess some technical proficiencies in resolution, layering or imaging but when it comes to value and performance, as well as some of the best tonality on the market, it just doesn’t get any better than the Rockets, and now the Supra.

Dec 11, 2014 at 9:05 AM Post #370 of 1,544
EarWerkz Supra vs Aurisonics Rockets

Tips: Comply T series on Supra and Sennheiser biflanges on Rockets. 
Sensitivity: Supra is more sensitive and Rockets require about 5 more clicks on the iPhone for similar volume.
Source: iPhone 5S

Bass quantity isn’t too far off, with the Rockets seemingly having a hair more, but focus of bass is a little different.  The Supra bass seems more linear without any roll off in sub bass, whereas the Rockets bass seem to have a bit more mid and upper bass presence, and slight roll off under 50hz.  The Supra bass feels lighter on its feet, quicker, with better deep bass rumble.  The Rocket bass feel fuller with more punch and with a bit more decay in direct comparison.

The midrange of the Supra immediately strikes you with its clarity and airy nature.  There is absolutely no masking from bass or treble, just pure, innocent clarity.  In contrast, the Rockets bring the midrange slightly forward of neutral and vocal intimacy is its bread and butter.  Here the Rockets carry a slightly thicker note, which accentuates the lovely vocal intimacy but it doesn’t have the clarity, airiness of the Supra.  The Rocket note through the midrange is softer in character, with rolled, smoothed edges.  In direct comparison the Supra’s midrange is sharper in character (not to be confused with harsh), like someone who enunciates every syllable perfectly or perhaps etched in space.

While the midrange is the first focus for me, it’s treble that makes or breaks an iem for me over the long haul.  Odd peaks or dips really grate on my nerves.  The Supra treble is super airy and sparkly but never sounds harsh or piercing to me.  It takes what I loved about the K3003 treble but tones it down a bit, making sure to never cross the line to shrill and annoying.  The airiness, the sparkle, the brassy tone, all without any of the nasties that can easily be found in many iems.  The Rockets also have that fantastically realistic, brassy tone but do not possess the soaring air of the Supra.  This is part of what gives the Supra its wide open feel and what I instantly fell in love with and raved about during the EP-2 demo.

As many of you may know, distortion guitar crunch and texture is something I pay very close attention to, as most of library consist of guitar driven rock.  The Supra’s clear and bright nature produce superb distortion guitars.  Grit and crunch are abundantly clear with razor sharp definition.  Even though the Rockets are softer and thicker through the midrange, it also has a rawness to its upper midrange, producing very believable distortion guitars with excellent sustain but grit and crunch lag a little behind the Supra here.

Following my focus on distortion guitars, next up are acoustic guitars.  The Rockets really shine here in note weight, sustain of string vibrations and realism of fingers sliding over the fretboard.  The airier nature of the Supra produces these same sounds just a bit thinner and sharper, falling just short of the Rockets realism.

I chose to do my first comparison with the Rockets because it’s one of my favorite iems I’ve ever heard in all my time on Head-Fi.  It’s a serious bang for buck offering that competes well above its point in my opinion.  Well, I feel the same way about the Supra.  Very few iem I’ve heard in any price bracket offer the sense of clarity, air and openness the Supra possess.  When it comes to much pricier models and offerings, sure those will possess some technical proficiencies in resolution, layering or imaging but when it comes to value and performance, as well as some of the best tonality on the market, it just doesn’t get any better than the Rockets, and now the Supra.

Thanks. Great round one. Eagerly anticipating round two, legend r.

Dec 11, 2014 at 9:23 AM Post #371 of 1,544
@shotgunshane
What are the differences you've noticed on the updated Supra vs EP-2?

Dec 11, 2014 at 9:37 AM Post #372 of 1,544
@shotgunshane
What are the differences you've noticed on the updated Supra vs EP-2?

Hard to say. The EP-2 was a demo of course and it's been a few weeks since I last heard it. Better definition comes to mind. Notes seem more defined, especially the edge of notes. But this probably due to the much better fit of the Supra compared to the EP-2 demo.

Dec 11, 2014 at 9:41 AM Post #373 of 1,544
Hard to say. The EP-2 was a demo of course and it's been a few weeks since I last heard it. Better definition comes to mind. Notes seem more defined, especially the edge of notes. But this probably due to the much better fit of the Supra compared to the EP-2 demo.

Ooh thanks for the feedback. Have you tried other tips with the Supra? I'm not a fan of foam tips. Maybe silicon or hybrid types?

Dec 11, 2014 at 9:49 AM Post #375 of 1,544
Not thoroughly but I will. For now I can say the Sony MH1 tips work very well but Ortofon tips slip off too easy. I'll be sure and test many tips, including the Sony Hybrids soon.

Thanks! Looking forward to comparisons on the best tips :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back