Eartips for Etymotic hf3?
May 13, 2012 at 7:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Anthonyp61296

New Head-Fier
I started using the foams that came with the Etymotic hf3 set because the triple flange silicone tips were hurting my ears.  I find these to also be slightly painful and scratchy, but what bothers me the most is the tickle I get in my ear canal when using them.  I recently went back to the triple flange tips, and they were comfortable and fit decently (I guess that my ear canals were opened up more when I used the foam ones); anyway, I need someone to recommend the best brand of silicone triple flange tips and the best brand of foam tips for these factors:
  1. Least modification of sound possible (this is the most important)
  2. Best isolation
  3. Comfort

As for foams, I'm currently looking at Shure Olives, but I think that going back to triple flange silicone tips would be a good move.
Thanks.

P.S. If anyone has used Etymotic's Custom Fit program, can you tell me how good the tips are?

May 13, 2012 at 12:12 PM Post #4 of 22
I use Comply foam tips for the HF5 and find them very comfortable. The triple flanges are not comfortable for me and I can't always get a good seal with them. Shure olives also work, but I get a better seal with the Comply tips.  You might also want to try the single flange Klipsch tips.

May 13, 2012 at 12:19 PM Post #5 of 22
Quote:
Thanks.  If anyone else has a suggestion, specifically for triple flanges, or a review on the Custom Fit program, please post.

Joker has on his multi iem review thread!

I am happy with my triples!

May 31, 2012 at 12:34 PM Post #7 of 22
I have been using the small Shure olives with my hf3 for the last three weeks. Sound is fantastic and they are finally getting somewhat comfortable. Just got fitted for the custom tips last week, I'll post how that turns out.

Jun 3, 2012 at 11:38 AM Post #9 of 22
Filters? Aren't the filters that Etymotic makes the only ones that fit the er4s? Are you talking about eartips? If you're talking about eartips, then it may be helpful to know that any eartips that will fit the hf3 will fit the er4s.  I plan on getting an er4s set some time in the future, as I really like my hf3's.

Jun 4, 2012 at 7:28 PM Post #10 of 22
Quote:
I started using the foams that came with the Etymotic hf3 set because the triple flange silicone tips were hurting my ears.  I find these to also be slightly painful and scratchy, but what bothers me the most is the tickle I get in my ear canal when using them.  I recently went back to the triple flange tips, and they were comfortable and fit decently (I guess that my ear canals were opened up more when I used the foam ones); anyway, I need someone to recommend the best brand of silicone triple flange tips and the best brand of foam tips for these factors:
  1. Least modification of sound possible (this is the most important)
  2. Best isolation
  3. Comfort

As for foams, I'm currently looking at Shure Olives, but I think that going back to triple flange silicone tips would be a good move.
Thanks.

P.S. If anyone has used Etymotic's Custom Fit program, can you tell me how good the tips are?

I would encourage you to explore the Etymotic custom program: http://www.etymotic.com/customfit/index.html

I have them on both my hf-2's and hf-3's and they are huge upgrade. It took about 4 weeks for ACH to deliver them, but it was worth the wait.

Jun 6, 2012 at 6:34 AM Post #12 of 22
Although I think that a properly fit custom tip is best.

I would encourage you to buy some Comply Foam tips, To Try.

Good Luck, Jim

Jun 30, 2012 at 8:51 PM Post #13 of 22
Quote:
I have been using the small Shure olives with my hf3 for the last three weeks. Sound is fantastic and they are finally getting somewhat comfortable. Just got fitted for the custom tips last week, I'll post how that turns out.

I've had my custom fit tips for a couple weeks now, so I think I've had a good chance to get comfortable with them. It took about three and a half weeks from the fitting appointment until I received them. It took me about 15 minutes to realize I was putting the tips in upside down, and then  finally I was able to put them in a slight rear angle and then twist forward about a quarter turn. The first thing I noticed was how darn comfortable they are. Previously, the only tip I could get a decent seal with is a small shure olive. Even then, it took about three weeks before I could listen comfortably. With the custom tips, I can put them in my ears quite a bit easier also, as there is no need to squeeze the foam tips and then hold in place until the foam expands.

As far as the sound goes, I immediately noticed the bass was considerably punchier, and deeper. I could hear some sub-bass, where previously I had to really pay attention sometimes to pick it up. The hf3's seemed also to be more efficient, but that could be due to break in, since my hf3's are only 2 months old.

I thought it would be fun to try the tips on the other iem's I have that have the same stem size. The first one I tried is the Ety mc5, which is a step below the hf3 in the ety food chain that I got on an Amazon lightning deal for $49. I had been using the stock foam tips. The sound was never really good enough to endure the pain in the ear canal so I usually went back to my shure se-210. Well IMO, the custom tips make a huge difference for the mc5's I must of not been getting a good seal before, because with the new tips they actually have bass you can feel, while still delivering that sparkling treble. Still not nearly at the level of the hf3, but a surprising difference for me. When I tried the new tips on the se-215's they sounded better than before, but I couldn't even make it though a full song. I can't believe that these were my everyday phones for a year and a half, until I discovered head-fi!

I think the investment of $100 is totally worth it to upgrade to the ety custom-tip program. Not only does it make the iem's way more comfortable, but improves the sound quality, although I imagine that varies when using on different iem's with the same stem size. I sure am having fun with them, and am looking forward to trying them with future purchases. When a pack of the good comply tips goes for $20 including shipping, these tips seem like a pretty good value to me.

Jun 30, 2012 at 9:01 PM Post #15 of 22
I also have the custom fit tips, they make a huge improvement in comfort and Isolation. I went to a local audiologist and paid him for impressions and then sent them to Etymotic who did the tips for $65.00.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back