EarSonics' two flagships: the universal S-EM9, and new custom EM10.
Jun 11, 2017 at 4:11 AM Post #1,127 of 1,260
I hope Earsonics will bring their lineup to CanJam next year. Very curious how they sound :)
Would be the first time they care about a convention that is not in France or Japan....
They really should step up their marketing.

Jul 9, 2017 at 3:06 AM Post #1,130 of 1,260
Am currently using an Andromeda. Can anyone compare the sem9 to the Andromeda's soundstage and detail retrieval level? How's clarity? Is it an upgrade or should I save up for a noble encore?

Jul 9, 2017 at 6:38 PM Post #1,131 of 1,260
The S-EM9 are more coherent but the feeling of space is less impressive than with the Andromeda. Both have a great clarity but the Andromeda have less body, hence have an imaging which has less weight. The S-EM9 has more rumble and bass capability and authority when the track calls for it.
The Andromeda is more source sensitive with its low impedance, hiss are much more easily audible.
In terms of sound signature the Andromeda and the S-EM9 are clearly different, the Vega is here more comparable. The S-EM6v2 suits more the Andromeda signature.

To me the new noble is a downgrade from the K10 because it's a more technic than musical IEM, but some people here prefer that... Be careful with hype too :wink:

Jul 9, 2017 at 6:39 PM Post #1,132 of 1,260
The S-EM9 are more coherent but the feeling of space is less impressive than with the Andromeda. Both have a great clarity but the Andromeda have less body, hence have an imaging which has less weight. The S-EM9 has more rumble and bass capability and authority when the track calls for it.
The Andromeda is more source sensitive with its low impedance, hiss are much more easily audible.
In terms of sound signature the Andromeda and the S-EM9 are clearly different, the Vega is here more comparable. The S-EM6v2 suits more the Andromeda signature.

To me the new noble is a downgrade from the K10 because it's a more technic than musical IEM, but some people here prefer that... Be careful with hype too :wink:

Jul 9, 2017 at 6:39 PM Post #1,133 of 1,260

Jul 9, 2017 at 7:34 PM Post #1,134 of 1,260
Thank you very much for your input!

Jul 11, 2017 at 1:01 PM Post #1,137 of 1,260
Brief impressions EM10

9970940.png

(pic from EarSonics, but design is always black and gold symbols)

So I received the EM10 on Friday. Out of the box, the EM10 sounded very transparent, with nice body in the midrange, but rather cold. So I put the EM10 on to burn for two days, and the higher frequencies settled in revealing the EM10’s intended sound, which is very balanced, and especially beautiful.

The EM10 has a beautiful tone, which an emphasis on excitement and musicality. Yet, it’s very smooth, with some natural elements in its signature. Keywords here are ‘melodic’, or ‘euphonic’. It’s a joyous sound that enhances the upper mids, but doesn’t sound bright by any means. The key to its tuning lies in a lift in its upper mids/and lower treble, but essentially, followed by a dip in the mid treble region. As a result, the treble itself is very smooth. It’s a tuning that is close to the A18 (M20) in tone. In addition the EM10 has nice body in its vocals, resulting from a 1-3 KHz bump. Finally, it’s finished off with a punchy well-defined bass, with a linear relation between sub- and mid-bass. It’s a typical type of bass that we like to see – fun and engaging.

The EM10 has an exciting tuning that makes me want to spend more time with it than I currently have, due to the shootout. It’s signature is extremely pleasing, almost the very definition of musical (at least mine), and its transparency is well above average. If this all sounds too good to be true, it’s because the EM10 comes with a downside of its own – its stage leans towards intimate.

S-EM9 vs EM10
Compared to S-EM9, there are several crucial differences, specifically due to the S-EM9's 5 KHz dip. The EM10 has more body in the midrange, both its instruments and vocals. But most importantly, in their tone. S-EM9 has exciting treble notes, but EM10 sounds more melodic than S-EM9, a more joyous sound. In addition, I would say the EM10's bass has slight emphasis on sub- over mid-bass, and the S-EM9 the other way around. But I haven't directly compared them yet, will do full comparison in the review of course.

The EM10 is a truly fantastic-sounding ciem, and without a doubt, EarSonics’ best so far. It’s a melodious yet smooth tuning, that simply just sounds very good. I can see this becoming a personal favorite on short term.

This is what I would say it roughly looks like in a graph :

9970939.png

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2017 at 7:04 PM Post #1,138 of 1,260
Wow. The em10 sounds amazing. Have you tried it with an aftermarket cable?

Jul 12, 2017 at 5:13 PM Post #1,139 of 1,260
Wow. The em10 sounds amazing. Have you tried it with an aftermarket cable?
Honestly, the EM10 is spectacular. I think ES has really outdone themselves with this one. You can see it goes in the general direction of the last iems (Velvet, S-EM9) but Franck made an essential change with the mid treble tuning, and as a result, the EM10 sounds very different than the iems before. I think Franck had a little eureka moment when he was playing around, and this was the sound he was trying to find all along.

As for cables, at home I listen with the SilverFi IEM-R4, my favorite cable. But EM10 sounds fine with its stock cable. It will require some caution to pair it, with a regular silver cable you might mess up its special tone.

ps. The word I was looking for before was 'euphoric', not euphonic. The EM10 sounds euphoric.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2017 at 5:12 AM Post #1,140 of 1,260
Yeah, they're really amazing, I can't say more than you said Nick. That euphoric feeling is not specific to the EM10, in fact Mr Lopez, Franck, add that emotion into all the custom line up. The universal line up is good too, but the custom line up has something very special which makes me smile every moment I spend time to hear music with. The EM6 and EM32, as the EM3pro, known to play music, not only to reproduce it. The S-EM9 was more on the technical side, compared to the entire line up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back