EarSonics' two flagships: the universal S-EM9, and new custom EM10.
Oct 29, 2016 at 6:08 AM Post #872 of 1,260
As an owner of Velvet who is toying around with the idea of upgrading, how does the S-EM9 compare against other TOTL IEMs like Campfire Audio Vega or Noble K10?

Oct 29, 2016 at 11:08 AM Post #874 of 1,260
I used K10UA before and definetly S-EM9 better than K10. Much more resolutions, better bass, better treble, better fit.etc. I don't about CA Vega.

Take same comment and repeat about SEM9 vs Vega.
Vega has a dynamic driver bass that can rumble the back of your head but there's something off in the overall sound compared to SEM9. Treble on Vega is also a little too much for me. Not to say the Vega isn't extraordinary because it truly is. But S-EM9 just hits that sweet spot of perfection that I haven't heard from anything else. And I hear stuff through the S-EM9 that I've never heard before in the background arrangement on some songs. Plus for me at least, the S-EM9 fit better than my customs. Easy to put in and they don't move. They isolate better and are more comfortable than my best fitting customs.

Oct 29, 2016 at 12:29 PM Post #875 of 1,260
Take same comment and repeat about SEM9 vs Vega.
Vega has a dynamic driver bass that can rumble the back of your head but there's something off in the overall sound compared to SEM9. Treble on Vega is also a little too much for me. Not to say the Vega isn't extraordinary because it truly is. But S-EM9 just hits that sweet spot of perfection that I haven't heard from anything else. And I hear stuff through the S-EM9 that I've never heard before in the background arrangement on some songs. Plus for me at least, the S-EM9 fit better than my customs. Easy to put in and they don't move. They isolate better and are more comfortable than my best fitting customs.
Interesting, did you own the Vega or just try? I was interested in them but I am getting mixed returns now.

Oct 29, 2016 at 2:48 PM Post #876 of 1,260
Interesting, did you own the Vega or just try? I was interested in them but I am getting mixed returns now.

Have it. They're complémentairy to some extent. Sound signatures are fairly different. As much as I adore the S-EM9, I'm not always in the mood for the Earsonics Sound. And I wouldn't use the S-EM9 for orchestral music whereas the Vega is excellent with orchestral.

Oct 29, 2016 at 11:03 PM Post #877 of 1,260
Have it. They're complémentairy to some extent. Sound signatures are fairly different. As much as I adore the S-EM9, I'm not always in the mood for the Earsonics Sound. And I wouldn't use the S-EM9 for orchestral music whereas the Vega is excellent with orchestral.
what makes it better for orchestral music?

Oct 30, 2016 at 8:37 AM Post #878 of 1,260
I would say the treble, the overall more brighter and golden sound of the Vega makes it better for orchestral. Strings shimmer for example, they get this lustrous golden tone. I can't think of a way to explain it in words other than a comparison to headphones. If you've heard the Focal Spirit line of headphones and compare to something like the AKG K550 or K267, the Vega is closer to the AKG sound in the treble whereas the Earsonics shares some similarities with the Focal Sound.

Oct 30, 2016 at 9:06 AM Post #879 of 1,260
I would say the treble, the overall more brighter and golden sound of the Vega makes it better for orchestral. Strings shimmer for example, they get this lustrous golden tone. I can't think of a way to explain it in words other than a comparison to headphones. If you've heard the Focal Spirit line of headphones and compare to something like the AKG K550 or K267, the Vega is closer to the AKG sound in the treble whereas the Earsonics shares some similarities with the Focal Sound.
Thanks, funny I would have thought the EM9 brighter.

Nov 3, 2016 at 3:54 AM Post #883 of 1,260
I think Nathan used the Final Audio tips. His review is here btw.
Excellent review thank you. I use Spinfit CP800. Also, even though not a huge cable believer, I found the DHC cable made quite a difference to the Ortofon cable for some reason.

Oh, and whatever the light, I never saw mine chocolaty brown...

I have the MMCX and they are great quality wise.

Nov 3, 2016 at 4:18 AM Post #884 of 1,260
Excellent review thank you. I use Spinfit CP800. Also, even though not a huge cable believer, I found the DHC cable made quite a difference to the Ortofon cable for some reason.

Oh, and whatever the light, I never saw mine chocolaty brown...

I have the MMCX and they are great quality wise.

There is chocolatey brown stuff inside that reflects through the black laminate. Awesome earphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back