Earsonics SM64: The Impressions Thread
Feb 24, 2013 at 3:43 PM Post #91 of 1,656
Quote:
I am listening to the SM64 right now and I am loving them. They are so awesome. They are what I wanted the W4 to be. Better clarity, instrument separation & awesome treble.

Ratfarm has a strong point about diminishing returns. I could be happy with just these.

Not trying to take the spotlight from the SM64s but make sure you try the new Westone Star tips with your W4s. They will give you amazing clarity, improved soundstage (W4s already have a huge soundstage) and more energy in the highs without sacrificing anything from the bottom end.

Feb 24, 2013 at 4:10 PM Post #92 of 1,656
Quote:
Not trying to take the spotlight from the SM64s but make sure you try the new Westone Star tips with your W4s. They will give you amazing clarity, improved soundstage (W4s already have a huge soundstage) and more energy in the highs without sacrificing anything from the bottom end.

Wow, all that from some new tips? Do they have a wider "opening" or what is so diffrent? And would they fit on the SM64? :D
I love the standart bi-flange tips but I'm always open for something new.

Feb 24, 2013 at 5:53 PM Post #93 of 1,656
Yes all that from some tips! Really impressive design work. They do have larger bore openings compared to old grey mushroom tips but not as large as the earsonics bi-flanges. I tried earsonics bi-flanges with my W4s and they did add some more energy to the highs. However they also made the bass response overall softer even though isolation was great. These new star tips provide excellent punchy bass response with more energy in the highs. Soundstage is quite impressive as well.  

Feb 24, 2013 at 5:59 PM Post #94 of 1,656
^^Man I'd trade-in my (fictitious) kingdom if Westone would just offer-up those star tips for retail sale.  I figure I've purchased so many in th epast week, I might as well try those as well.

Feb 25, 2013 at 12:17 AM Post #95 of 1,656
Quote:

Thanks for the tip.  I listened to my W4s again today and I must admit I love them as well.  To many mistresses...

Feb 25, 2013 at 3:00 AM Post #96 of 1,656
Has anyone tried replacement cables yet?  I'm considering it...mostly due to the y-split being so high-up (I almost feel choked at times).  I won't go crazy, since I'm not a huge cable believer (not trying to start anything here), but I'd like a nicely-built cable.  I know there are reasonable options out there.  Couple questions:

--is the connector type for the SM64 the same as that for Westone 4's
--how much force does it take to remove the stock cables?  I kinda/sorta pulled on my connectors earlier to see how secure they are, and they seemed awfully snug.  As in, requiring the use of small pliers to remove them snug, thus ruining the connector in the process, which I don't want to do.

Feb 25, 2013 at 5:42 AM Post #98 of 1,656
Quote:
hey, I never used paybox, how does it work? Any safe?

Sounds weird, but I somehow forgot how I paid in their shop :D I think I paid with my Mastercard and this Mastercard Securecode thingy. Worked well and I think that every method they offer is pretty safe.

Quote:
Has anyone tried replacement cables yet?  I'm considering it...mostly due to the y-split being so high-up (I almost feel choked at times).  I won't go crazy, since I'm not a huge cable believer (not trying to start anything here), but I'd like a nicely-built cable.  I know there are reasonable options out there.  Couple questions:

--how much force does it take to remove the stock cables?  I kinda/sorta pulled on my connectors earlier to see how secure they are, and they seemed awfully snug.  As in, requiring the use of small pliers to remove them snug, thus ruining the connector in the process, which I don't want to do.

It's the same type of connector as the Westone and UE IEMS have.
I tried my Chris_Himself Silver Ray cable with the SM64. Maybe I gave it not enough time so far, but I didn't really heard a change in sound signature or quality. I stick with the stock cable because it is cleary more flexible.
I removed the cable by sticking a tiny needle between the IEM and the connector. Worked pretty well and I really don't think that I damaged something.

Feb 25, 2013 at 6:01 AM Post #99 of 1,656
Quote:
Quote:
hey, I never used paybox, how does it work? Any safe?

Sounds weird, but I somehow forgot how I paid in their shop :D I think I paid with my Mastercard and this Mastercard Securecode thingy. Worked well and I think that every method they offer is pretty safe.

Quote:

It's the same type of connector as the Westone and UE IEMS have.
I tried my Chris_Himself Silver Ray cable with the SM64. Maybe I gave it not enough time so far, but I didn't really heard a change in sound signature or quality. I stick with the stock cable because it is cleary more flexible.
I removed the cable by sticking a tiny needle between the IEM and the connector. Worked pretty well and I really don't think that I damaged something.

Thanks Tom...  Yeah, I'm not thinking about a cable for audio reasons (again, not trying to start a debate) + I already love how these sound.  I just want a nicely built one & one w/ the Y-split much lower.  It's not something that's on my "must do right away" list.  Just something I'm considering.

Feb 25, 2013 at 6:25 AM Post #100 of 1,656
Quote:
Thanks Tom...  Yeah, I'm not thinking about a cable for audio reasons (again, not trying to start a debate) + I already love how these sound.  I just want a nicely built one & one w/ the Y-split much lower.  It's not something that's on my "must do right away" list.  Just something I'm considering.

I cut off the small plastic-tubethingy above the splitter. I don't need that thing and that extra bit of not-feeling-like-somebody-is-chocking-me is really nice.

Feb 26, 2013 at 1:30 PM Post #103 of 1,656
I'm waiting for my SM64 order (due Friday). I have the SM3 and SM2 v2 and I cut the cinch off of both. I use the new Westone Star tips on the SM2, SM3 and W4, with excellent results.

Feb 26, 2013 at 2:03 PM Post #104 of 1,656
We're did you get your Star Tips from?

Oh and congrats on your purchase!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back