Earsonics SM64: The Impressions Thread
Mar 3, 2013 at 10:38 AM Post #121 of 1,656
Well, until I can order the Westone Star eartips, I think I found my best Franken-tip set-up:  the cores of the included Complys inside (genuine) Sony Hybrid tips (large).  Too bad my ears are so wack...relatively wide/big canals, and the Sony package comes w/ 4 sizes, 3 of which I'll never, ever try much less actually use.  At least it isn't all that expensive for the entire tip package, but still, if I have to pay for shipping via Amazon, it's like $9.00USD to get one useable pair. 

Even given all the eartip fit & sound issues I've had, I really enjoy the SM64.  I'd recommend this to anyone who has a mid-range'ish budget in mind.  I have zero desire to go the CIEM route, so my current unicorn when it comes to universal IEMs is the FitEar to Go! 334.  Maybe by this summer I'll be able to convince myself it's worth $1,400 to get those.

Mar 3, 2013 at 4:04 PM Post #122 of 1,656
Ok. I've had the SM64s for a couple of weeks now. All I can say is that if there is a better IEM our there, sound-wise, then it must cost 4x the cost. The SM64s are flat out AWESOME. Its a shame that there are people out there that will never hear these IEMs.

Mar 3, 2013 at 5:32 PM Post #123 of 1,656
Ok. I've had the SM64s for a couple of weeks now. All I can say is that if there is a better IEM our there, sound-wise, then it must cost 4x the cost. The SM64s are flat out AWESOME. Its a shame that there are people out there that will never hear these IEMs.

Glad you love them :-D
Why don't we make an Earsonics World Tour? :p

Mar 4, 2013 at 9:23 AM Post #124 of 1,656
I'm about to push the trigger on these iems but i'm still trying to assess the possible volume problems with portable sources given the high impedance and -more importantly- that i don't know the impedance curve of the SM64 hence i don't know if it's rated at 1kHz or it's the average impedance.

Any clue on this volume issue?

My portable sources are an iPhone 4S and an iPod Classic 7G.

I plan on amping on desktop scenarios with an iBasso T3 but if i'd need the amp on my strolls down the street or for the daily commute i think i'd stick with my Westone UM3x for the time being.

Mar 4, 2013 at 10:42 AM Post #125 of 1,656
Quote:

I just tried a Nano 7G and was able to get to painfully loud volumes at about 80%.

Mar 4, 2013 at 11:42 AM Post #126 of 1,656
I'm using only my Cowon J3 and volume-wise I have nothing to complain about. Sure, I have to turn up the volume more than if I were using my TF10, but only like 15%. Still gets really really loud.

Mar 4, 2013 at 11:53 AM Post #127 of 1,656
My wallet deeply regrets that input mates. But thanks anyway :wink:

My fear was that with wide dynamic range recordings volume problems might arise but based on these impressions i guess that i wouldn't have volume problems out of my current sources.

Mar 4, 2013 at 12:48 PM Post #128 of 1,656
Yeah I've found that volume levels are fine out of most devices, the tonality, soundstage, and timbre just gets better as you give it more power.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Mar 5, 2013 at 11:06 PM Post #129 of 1,656
I'm about to push the trigger on these iems but i'm still trying to assess the possible volume problems with portable sources given the high impedance and -more importantly- that i don't know the impedance curve of the SM64 hence i don't know if it's rated at 1kHz or it's the average impedance.

I plan on amping on desktop scenarios with an iBasso T3 but if i'd need the amp on my strolls down the street or for the daily commute i think i'd stick with my Westone UM3x for the time being.

I run these from an iPhone 4s. They sound fantastic. They scale with an amp but I don't agree with those who suggest an amp is required.

Mar 6, 2013 at 8:57 AM Post #130 of 1,656
I'm too lazy to search this thread to see if anyone has listened to the '64 with in-line filter removed. This "tweak" was a MAJOR game-changer for me w/SM3v2 ... and mostly for the better. 

Mar 7, 2013 at 11:33 PM Post #131 of 1,656
Guys...after reading about your revised sm64.i decided to return my 1st bacth released to get the latest one instead...but i got to wait until jaben restock in next month...sad men :frowning2:

But yes...to me..although the sound is very good...but somehow i need that highs to be tamed a bit honestly...then should be perfect :)

Mar 9, 2013 at 4:46 AM Post #132 of 1,656
Guys...after reading about your revised sm64.i decided to return my 1st bacth released to get the latest one instead...but i got to wait until jaben restock in next month...sad men :frowning2:

But yes...to me..although the sound is very good...but somehow i need that highs to be tamed a bit honestly...then should be perfect :)

Would they still allow you to exchange it with their new stock after you've owned it for so long?
I think they'd probably send yours for modding instead.

Mar 9, 2013 at 7:06 AM Post #133 of 1,656
Just got my own SM64s and they are really really good. Not what I expected out of the first time I'm listening to an EarSonics Product.

EDIT:

Guys...after reading about your revised sm64.i decided to return my 1st bacth released to get the latest one instead...but i got to wait until jaben restock in next month...sad men 
frown.gif

But yes...to me..although the sound is very good...but somehow i need that highs to be tamed a bit honestly...then should be perfect 
smily_headphones1.gif

I just put them on with my TWAG Westone Cable and WOW the sibilance is gone...

Mar 9, 2013 at 7:15 AM Post #134 of 1,656

Have you checked the polarity of the stock cable SM64 and twag cable?

I recently discovered SM3 V2 socket pins are in reverse to a Westone housing, I would be curious to know if Earsonics kept the same configuration for SM64.

You can easily check with a multimeter.

Mar 9, 2013 at 8:16 AM Post #135 of 1,656
Quote:
Just got my own SM64s and they are really really good. Not what I expected out of the first time I'm listening to an EarSonics Product.

EDIT:

Me too.. I wasn't expect this as well.. I went to Jaben in Singapore wanting to try something else but walk away with SM64 in my hands.. Jaben guys told me u gotta try this and let us know.. I did and they win... Hahaha

This is my every day IEM, it is so comfortable and its sound grew in me. Good enough straight out of galaxy s3 international version. I chuck the akg3003i aside..hehehe

I especially like how good the details are, so good I don't miss my akg3003i.. Of course, I am not expecting the mid to to be as good as giant killer TG344, no it cannot be, but Sm64  do has some special quality in it. It's a balance between akg 3003i and Tg334.. and it extend really good on both ends, good sub bass, large sound stage, surprisingly good imaging and boy I love the sparkle top end.. If there is a u shape I would say its very subtle, it lack a little mid bass hunch compared to both these iem..yes there is a little gap there..but is subtle.

compared to Ie800, of course the bass is no where as powerful..the ie800 has even more bass than tg334.. By the way IE800 is really a good iem. I absolutely love it's sound signature.. Very powerful sub bass, mid bass Way more than the above 3 iem, superb mid (so good   It stun me ) and treble goes a little high.. But after an hour of silent comparison, with many tracks, I find the Ie800 bass bleeds a little to the mid, it's very little though but I can hear it. Bass is obvious on most tracks that I am familiar with, in short I can't escape its bass..it has moar bass power (good stuff here) in the end, I decided I would buy it, as it has this nice typical home theratre hifi sound that resemble 2 super powerful sub woofer but Stereo singapore ran out of stock after I have been testing for 2 days, I burst into laughter.. .. I knew I would be back for it later..  It's a super duper fun IEM.

so I return with Sm64 to home after an 18hr flight.. The sm64 isolation with comply foam is better than tg334 and akg3003i. It's the same as shure 535 with comply foam.. With it I cannot hear the engine with soft music playing.. It's the most comfortable among all iem mention.. Worst is Ie800.. Keep slipping off..

now after about 3 weeks of listening, I like it even more.. 

Care to share some thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back