Earsonics SM64: The Impressions Thread
Feb 23, 2013 at 7:27 PM Post #61 of 1,656
Quote:
Nice review. I also think the SM64s are special. I'm confident that these are top class IEMs and spending more money will not get you much, if any, additional sonic bliss.

Thanks!
Jup, I think after a certain price range the sound does not get "better" just changes a bit sound-signature-wise.

Feb 23, 2013 at 8:45 PM Post #63 of 1,656
Quote:
Thanks!
Jup, I think after a certain price range the sound does not get "better" just changes a bit sound-signature-wise.

I disagree, so you are saying all the people whom buy high end iems are fools wirth more money than senses?
eek.gif
. I have not heard the sm64 but to me the fitear 334 is clearly better than the shure535, westone w4s and pfe 232..

Feb 23, 2013 at 9:16 PM Post #64 of 1,656
Quote:
I disagree, so you are saying all the people whom buy high end iems are fools wirth more money than senses?
eek.gif
. I have not heard the sm64 but to me the fitear 334 is clearly better than the shure535, westone w4s and pfe 232..

It's called the Law Of Diminishing Returns... been there done that. I have owned all kinds of high end stereo equipment over the years, Krell, Martin Logan, Jeff Rowland, DCS, Musical Fidelity, Focal, etc... and there is definitely a point where high end becomes a waste of money when you cross a certain line. The SM64's are right at that line. Maybe the 334's are better but I would bet not by much and at twice the price?

Feb 23, 2013 at 9:26 PM Post #65 of 1,656
It's called the Law Of Diminishing Returns... been there done that. I have owned all kinds of high end stereo equipment over the years, Krell, Martin Logan, Jeff Rowland, DCS, Musical Fidelity, Focal, etc... and there is definitely a point where high end becomes a waste of money when you cross a certain line. The SM64's are right at that line. Maybe the 334's are better but I would bet not by much and at twice the price?

You'd be correct regarding the law of diminishing returns. It really is how much one is willing to spend to get that much more from their audio listening experience.

That said, I can attest to there being huge jumps but the cost can be a crazy amount. Further to that, to obtain the most from a costly CIEM or IEM, you'll need to get a decent source and rig. That makes the whole adventure rather questionable and why some scoff a little when they hear how much someone's rig costs. Everyone has their hobbies and if audio is it, the value they receive may be worth paying for, no matter how little. The question is just how much one enjoys music.

Feb 23, 2013 at 10:11 PM Post #66 of 1,656
Quote:

I understand what law of diminishing return is and one can easily stated that sm64 is not worth the cost and vsonic gr07 is right at that line . I have no problem with what people think is the best value or what sounds the best, audio is extremely subjective after all. I merely argue higher end iems are more than just a change of favour. I am doing research on the sm64 as it's something  I would like to try, but I am looking for honest feebacks as what is the strength and weekness.   I don't want to go throught another thread like the yamaha eph100 I read a few months back, there was so much hype and how it's better than iems cost much more and every non favourable post was attacked or ridiculed.

Feb 23, 2013 at 10:13 PM Post #67 of 1,656
Quote:

Ok. Well I do not agree. The SM64 is awesome & I love the sound and fit. It is to my ears slightly better than the SM3 & W4 but is in the same tier. The TG334 as much as I have problems with it's weight and fit is in a different class. The TG334 is better that the ES5. It is a visceral organic force of engineering audio bliss & sound-wise shares more in common with the LCD-2 than the SM64. That being said, I love the SM64 & will sell my Westone 4 as a result of the purchase.

Feb 24, 2013 at 7:07 AM Post #68 of 1,656
There are certain IEMs which more suited for jazz, vocal, edm, etc. whatever.
The IEM's sound signature, how well it gels with your other pieces of equipment in the audio chain - all affects the representation accuracy to any particular genre.
To me, going higher up the price range means higher quality materials (in general), but may not necessary equate to better enjoyment to the music genre you are into. 

Feb 24, 2013 at 7:13 AM Post #69 of 1,656
Quote:
I am doing research on the sm64 as it's something  I would like to try, but I am looking for honest feebacks as what is the strength and weekness.   I don't want to go throught another thread like the yamaha eph100 I read a few months back, there was so much hype and how it's better than iems cost much more and every non favourable post was attacked or ridiculed.

Okay here are some "bad" things about the SM64.
Besides the slightly forward mids, the SM64 are pretty neutral. Thats not something everybody likes.
The highs could get a bit too high for some people. I just think that they sound natural.
The bass could goes deep and is pretty punchy but could be too shy for some people. Again, it just sounds natural to me.
If expect a lot of accessoires coming with your 500$ IEM, you will get disappointed here. A bit lame, I have to admit, but accessoires are not really a sellingpoint for me.
The SM64 are pretty powerhungry.

Quote:
eek.gif

That's a bit harsh, don't you think? It's just that FOR ME these more or less minimal improvements are not really worth additional 500$+.

Feb 24, 2013 at 8:23 AM Post #71 of 1,656
Quote:

Okay here are some "bad" things about the SM64.
Besides the slightly forward mids, the SM64 are pretty neutral. Thats not something everybody likes.
The highs could get a bit too high for some people. I just think that they sound natural.
The bass could goes deep and is pretty punchy but could be too shy for some people. Again, it just sounds natural to me.
If expect a lot of accessoires coming with your 500$ IEM, you will get disappointed here. A bit lame, I have to admit, but accessoires are not really a sellingpoint for me.
The SM64 are pretty powerhungry.

That's a bit harsh, don't you think? It's just that FOR ME these more or less minimal improvements are not really worth additional 500$+.

Some reviews of headphones and IEMs are extraordinarily puzzling.

Firstly, if the sound signature is "too neutral" then why not use the EQ? People have bizarre superstitions that it will reduce sq, but this is bs: all sensibly used EQ will do is alter the sound signature, which is what you want it to do. There are no artefacts associated with EQing like those that associated with too low bitrate MP3s.

Secondly, no one seems to read the excellent article on head-fi about EQing phones and IEMs to achieve neutrality in the first place. If they did they would know that the performance of even a fullsize headphone depends on a complex interaction with the listener's ear cavity, and that the only way to reduce this is through careful pin noise EQing. If an IEM like the SM64 sounds so-so to you and you don't try first pink noising it and then tweaking the resulting true neutral to match your taste, then you really haven't given it a serious try.

Otoh, it's possibly inevitable that each increase in sq you buy will cost more than the last..

Feb 24, 2013 at 8:26 AM Post #72 of 1,656
Quote:
^after what you have written i am like "why havent I bought this already?"

I'd have bought them on Ratfarm's review, but I'm not willing to risk an IEM costing this much around insane tomcat. In fact, I'm not willing to risk detachable ones around him at all - he thinks they're edible and I can't believe that all those rare earths would be good for the feline digestive apparatus.

Feb 24, 2013 at 8:29 AM Post #73 of 1,656
Quote:
There are certain IEMs which more suited for jazz, vocal, edm, etc. whatever.
The IEM's sound signature, how well it gels with your other pieces of equipment in the audio chain - all affects the representation accuracy to any particular genre.

Again: where does this taboo against EQ come from? Unlike attack and bass definition, sound signature is so easy to alter. Yes, you can make a mess of using EQ and probably did when you played with it on your parents hifi as a kid, but it's pretty easy for an adult to learn to do right.

Feb 24, 2013 at 8:47 AM Post #74 of 1,656
[quote="Tom] That's a bit harsh, don't you think? It's just that FOR ME these more or less minimal improvements are not really worth additional 500$+.
[/quote]

Forgive me if I missed this... But you compared the 334 the SM64 back to back, while both were in your possession? And you came away with the impression the improvements were minimal at best?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back