Earsonics SM64: The Impressions Thread
Jul 9, 2016 at 8:00 AM Post #1,561 of 1,656
Have you had a look by the way to the FLC8s??
wink.gif

Yep, they look interesting but are impossible to buy in the UK. Buying the SM64 would be hard enough, having to import from France but that's not too far at least.

Jul 9, 2016 at 5:07 PM Post #1,562 of 1,656
Do have a look mate at this page... They're in Spain. Not that far from the UK :wink:

https://headphoniaks.com/gb/in-ear-earphones/264-flc-8s.html

Jul 9, 2016 at 5:10 PM Post #1,563 of 1,656
Top notch after sales service if you should have any kind of issues with your iems... I really trust these people.

Jul 10, 2016 at 7:35 AM Post #1,566 of 1,656
If you cant afford a DAP to use the SM64 with you could always buy an DAC/AMP for your smartphone. I recommend the Fiio E18. Great value. It will certainly sound better than the smartphone by itself.

On a different note- does anyone in the U.S.A. know where i can buy a SM-64 for less than $400 as listed on Amazon? No ones answering my wanted classified.

Jul 10, 2016 at 9:42 AM Post #1,567 of 1,656
If you cant afford a DAP to use the SM64 with you could always buy an DAC/AMP for your smartphone. I recommend the Fiio E18. Great value. It will certainly sound better than the smartphone by itself.

On a different note- does anyone in the U.S.A. know where i can buy a SM-64 for less than [size=inherit]£308.01 ($400)[/size] as listed on Amazon? No ones answering my wanted classified.

I already had a Fiio E17 that I sent back to Amazon because it had absolutely no effect on the sound, even through my HD650s. I think the SM64 isn't a possibilty for me, too many unknowns with the impedance, build quality and what I've read about the customer service. Shame. Now I'm back to square one.

Jul 10, 2016 at 10:16 AM Post #1,568 of 1,656
I already had a Fiio E17 that I sent back to Amazon because it had absolutely no effect on the sound, even through my HD650s. I think the SM64 isn't a possibilty for me, too many unknowns with the impedance, build quality and what I've read about the customer service. Shame. Now I'm back to square one.

Make sure that youre device supports usb audio and that you are using a usb-otg cable that connects your device with the dac/amp. Even though the sm64 has a high impedance, its sensitivity is fairly large. So it would be adequetely loud out of a typical smartphone. I know this since i have had the etymotic er-4s and it has a similar impedance to the sm64 but has a lower sensitivity and it still plays to adequate volumes out of my htc one m9. im not sure about build quality or customer service though. Also make sure you use lossless or hi res files to really bring out the potential of the iems.

Take this with a grain of salt considering i havent heard these iems yet. The only problem i have is trying to find someone whose wanting to sell their SM64

Jul 10, 2016 at 1:36 PM Post #1,569 of 1,656
Mines are definitely not for sale!! Right now rocking my socks off listening at Radiohead out of my DX90 in high gain... :)

Jul 10, 2016 at 7:49 PM Post #1,570 of 1,656
Make sure that youre device supports usb audio and that you are using a usb-otg cable that connects your device with the dac/amp. Even though the sm64 has a high impedance, its sensitivity is fairly large. So it would be adequetely loud out of a typical smartphone. I know this since i have had the etymotic er-4s and it has a similar impedance to the sm64 but has a lower sensitivity and it still plays to adequate volumes out of my htc one m9. im not sure about build quality or customer service though. Also make sure you use lossless or hi res files to really bring out the potential of the iems.

Take this with a grain of salt considering i havent heard these iems yet. The only problem i have is trying to find someone whose wanting to sell their SM64

Yes, it does support USB audio, and I connected it with a USB OTG cable - there's no other way to connect it...? I also have no interest in lossless or hi res files since I don't really believe I can hear any difference between that and Spotify Extreme quality. Maybe I expected too much? I've all but given up on the SM64s now because I've become aware of the Fischer Amps FA-4E XB which are supposed to be better value. I'm a bit lost with all this. The SM64 sounds like it should be so perfect...

Jul 10, 2016 at 8:58 PM Post #1,571 of 1,656
  I'm looking to buy these after getting sick of the tiny soundstage on my Westone UM Pro 30s, and I just wanted to ask whether not amping these really ruins them? I already returned a Fiio E17 after I found it didn't affect my sound out of my LG G5 at all, which is what I would be using with the SM64s.

Fiio's specs for E17 give load range of 16~150 Ω, while the HD650 is a 300 Ω set, which may have contributed to that. Other than volume, underamping not always super obvious either.

Jul 11, 2016 at 3:13 PM Post #1,573 of 1,656
I've had the SM64 for a while now, might as well leave some impressions.

I've never heard a headphone change so much in the first two hours out of the box. I literally felt it become smoother, the bass rising up after a rather subdued start, the highs mellowing a bit, the mids coming forward. It was a strange experience, hearing it change so much.

The detail on the SM64 is INSANE. I've lost count of how many times a different headphone let me hear details I'd never heard before, but I'd never heard this with an IEM. It's... insane, really. Fells like I can hear everything that's on the record. Every single thing.

Separation is good, but luckily (for me), not as much as with some separation monster like the Senn HD650. To me, too much separation between the instruments is not a good thing for enthusiast listening. Cans like the HD650 are meant for monitoring, and I find that very distracting. I want my music to have some cohesion. Live music sounds nothing like the HD650. The SM64 gives space to the various parts of the recording, but doesn't isolate each one from the others.

Soundstage isn't very wide. An IEM like the Sennheiser IE8 easily trounces the SM64 here.

The overall sound signature is quite balanced, but the vocals are very forward at all volumes. I feel the SM64 is very mid-centric, even if I understand that its frequency response curve suggests anything but. Vocals are lush, natural, not at all honky or shouty.
Bass is present, quite deep, with a bit of rumble. It's not very powerful, nor very authoritative. "Neutral" is a good word to describe it. Sub-bass is a bit more present than mid-bass.
Treble is detailed and controlled. Not a hint of graininess or sibilance. It lacks the slam and the bite of more aggressive cans.

One thing that strikes me is that the SM64 can be very engaging at moderate-to-high volumes, with a lot of PRAT and a very lively, feet-tapping sound. But at lower volumes, it's a very flat headphone, with an emphasis on vocals.

The SM64 requires quite some power. I do use it with my iPod, but I need to push the DAP to about 70% of max volume to bring out the true character of the SM64.

The fit is close to excellent for me. The cable is fantastic, and while I usually don't care for memory  cables, the SM64's does help me get and maintain a good fit. In-ear fit is almost perfect with the stock biflanges.

I guess that, if you're looking for an end-all and be-all IEM in this price range, the SM64 may just be it, provided you like neutrality and use an amp all the time. Me, I definitely like it, but I'm still looking for alternatives. I like a livelier sound.

Jul 11, 2016 at 3:49 PM Post #1,574 of 1,656
Nice review of these amazing iems but I honestly cannot buy the assessment of the hd650 being a "separation monster"... I would depict them much more on an intimate stage like a jazz club. My stereotype of separation monsters are their big brothers the hd800 or perhaps, perhaps other cans that I know pretty well like the Beyers T90.
With all my respects, you should give your iems a good try with a powerful dap or a portable amp. That's their sweet point where they come out with what they're capable of (or not).

Best regards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back