Earsonics SM64: The Impressions Thread
Mar 16, 2013 at 9:16 AM Post #166 of 1,656
Amazon.com with 3rd party vendor sound earphone. I called them and the sales rep make a point to verify with earsonic that their stock is version 2. They even sent me an email to verify that claim. And it's v2 that I have now.

promised u I will return later when I get more time.. Very busy weekend for me. 

Amazon doesn't ship to electronics outside US.
Did you use a 3rd party courier service?

Mar 16, 2013 at 1:38 PM Post #168 of 1,656
[size=medium][size=medium]Ok I just got about 20 mins to write the comparison for both versions ,so here you go..[/size][/size]

[size=medium][size=medium]SM64 V1 vs SM64 V2 comparison[/size][/size]
[size=medium] [/size]
[size=medium][size=medium]Version 2 retail box (back)[/size][/size]
[size=medium][size=medium][/size][/size]
[size=medium][size=medium] [/size][/size]
[size=medium][size=medium]Version 2 front[/size][/size]
[size=medium][size=medium]Version 1 box[/size][/size]
[size=medium][size=medium]Version 1 left[/size][/size]
[size=medium][size=medium]Version 1 right. [/size][/size]

[size=medium][size=medium]More red wires can be seen in version 1 [/size][/size]
[size=medium][size=medium] Notice the filter is slightly higher in v2. (v2 at the top)[/size][/size]
[size=medium][size=medium]My portable Galaxy S3 international version with Wolfson WM1811 DAC[/size][/size]

[size=medium][size=medium]A brief comparison between both SM64 version.. [/size][/size]
[size=medium] [/size]

[size=medium][size=medium]Treble[/size][/size]
[size=medium][size=medium]The treble of the v2 has tame down a little bit. Its not much but just enough not to go over too hot. The details are all still there but just not as obvious as v1. I believe most people will find the V2 treble just nice as it’s still more than HD650, Shure 535 or the venerable TG334. I know a lot of consider the shure 535 veil, no worry the V2 has more sparkle than shure 535. The SM64 has this quality of very good extension in the 12-16K region. Most IEM avoided it but instead focus more on the 4K-8K and start to roll off after that… not so with SM64 v1 or V2. This make both version a pretty airy IEM. The V1 just has this breathy vocal of air coming out more and may at times sounded sss . I don’t consider the V1 harsh at all, It’s still way below the Th900 or the old Denon line DXXXX.[/size][/size]
[size=medium] [/size]
[size=medium][size=medium]Mid[/size][/size]
[size=medium][size=medium]The vocal of the V2 is surprisingly thicker or creamier than V1. Voice is more pronounce, full and a little more romantic. The difference is quite obvious, the V1 is like using a solid state amp while the V2 is powered by a tube amp. In direct comparison, V2 vocal is dreamy, edged not as clearly define as V1 but is rewarded with a richer and fuller quality and quantity. One of the reason is the mid bass bleeds into the mid-range causing the voice to have a more bassy quality. I actually prefer this as it moving more towards the TG334 direction mid (consider the best by many here).[/size][/size]
[size=medium] [/size]
[size=medium][size=medium]Bass[/size][/size]
[size=medium][size=medium]Oh boy, there is quite a big difference here between both versions. So much that I thought they were different IEM altogether. The mid bass is more pronounce in the V2. As I mention earlier, that the V1 suffer a little lack of mid bass hunch and have a slight gap in the frequency, well the V2 patch it up. The bass is tighter and more pronounce, it’s punchier as well. I believe there is one complaint from one user that it lacks punch, I am thinking you probably have the V1, the V2 punch more than the HD650.. Unfortunately the mid bass leak into the vocal, it has to be..as it a little excessive in my opinion. The addictive sub bass of the V1 disappeared with the V2. It’s not because its roll off, it’s because the mid bass is overly much that it masked over the sub bass and leak a little to the vocal. No doubt, I miss the V1 sub bass quality here. I notice that the V2 filter is a little bit more forward and I suspect that the filter has been change to give more bass qty. Again, this is moving more towards the TG334 tonality here.[/size][/size]
[size=medium][size=medium]Soundstage remains the same with V1 slightly ahead due to its more airier nature. Its subtle at best (I wouldn’t mention a diff here if this is not a audiophile forum.[/size][/size]
[size=medium] [/size]
[size=medium][size=medium]Conclusion[/size][/size]
[size=medium][size=medium]I can live with either version. I find the V2 a little lacking in the final extension but V2 is not veil at all as no loss of details are detected. The V1 is a more relaxed IEM where you can listen for long with low volume without missing anything due to its airy nature. This is a very good IEM for late night listening session which I have been enjoying for the past weeks. The V2 is slightly more aggressive in nature with its more forward vocal presentation, punchier bass line and a more romantic vocal. I actually prefer V2 as I can solve the airy issues with EQ on the V2 easier than I could solve the V1 mid bass gap and thinner vocal. All in all both version still have the same sound signature. I would rate both version as the best $499 ever spent on a pair of IEM beating even full size headphone like the reference HD650. The V2 version is not very far from the TG334 and at $499, it’s a real winner.  [/size][/size]
[size=medium] [/size]
[size=medium] [/size]

Mar 16, 2013 at 6:19 PM Post #169 of 1,656
After much testing back and forth with th900. I decided the v1 is right for me. v2 mid bass is just too much for me. v1 bass resemble more th900 than v2. since I am a treble head, I love the v1 sparkling high and sub bass. You may have different taste than me.

Mar 16, 2013 at 8:16 PM Post #170 of 1,656
Quote:
After much testing back and forth with th900. I decided the v1 is right for me. v2 mid bass is just too much for me. v1 bass resemble more th900 than v2. since I am a treble head, I love the v1 sparkling high and sub bass. You may have different taste than me.

Very nice comparsion!

I don't know if Earsonics forgot to change the bass of my SM64 but I heard no difference at all between the bass of v1 and v2...nevermind :D But yeah, I pretty much agree with everything else you wrote.

Mar 16, 2013 at 10:35 PM Post #171 of 1,656
Awesome, thanks for the pics.
I find that even though the v1 has apparent sub-bass, its lack of midbass feels like the song loses it's body.
Treble on the v1 was too much for my liking, almost on the verge of sibilant at times.

Mar 16, 2013 at 10:37 PM Post #172 of 1,656
Quote:
Very nice comparsion!

I don't know if Earsonics forgot to change the bass of my SM64 but I heard no difference at all between the bass of v1 and v2...nevermind :D But yeah, I pretty much agree with everything else you wrote.

Tom, 
Is yours a modified unit?
I would take a guess that there could be "variations" between a modified v1 and production v2.

Mar 16, 2013 at 10:44 PM Post #173 of 1,656
Quote:
Tom, 
Is yours a modified unit?
I would take a guess that there could be "variations" between a modified v1 and production v2.

Yeah, Earsonics upgraded my v1 a few weeks ago. Could be possible that my unit sounds a bit more "unique" compared to the mass produced v2 :p

Mar 16, 2013 at 10:54 PM Post #174 of 1,656
Quote:
Yeah, Earsonics upgraded my v1 a few weeks ago. Could be possible that my unit sounds a bit more "unique" compared to the mass produced v2 :p

Yeah, very possible that the mod V2 and actual retail production are a little different in that case. The bass differences is huge by audiophile standard and is immediately noticeable. It's more obvious than the treble differences. 

Mar 16, 2013 at 10:59 PM Post #175 of 1,656
Quote:
Awesome, thanks for the pics.
I find that even though the v1 has apparent sub-bass, its lack of midbass feels like the song loses it's body.
Treble on the v1 was too much for my liking, almost on the verge of sibilant at times.

I kind of think that the V2 will appeal to most people. It has everything done right.. V1 will appeal more to people who likes their IEM slightly brighter. 

Mar 16, 2013 at 11:36 PM Post #176 of 1,656
Quote:
[size=medium][size=medium]  Ok I just got about 20 mins to write the comparison for both versions ,so here you go..[/size][/size][size=medium]. [/size]

Thanks for the comparison. Very helpful. I've only heard the version 1; I thought it was pretty good.
Given the two versions, I think I'd still prefer the version 1... I wonder how many of them are out in the wild?

Mar 17, 2013 at 12:13 AM Post #177 of 1,656
Thanks. I think the majority out there still has the v1 and I know jaben singapore still has it. The v1 will become very rare pretty soon as they being replaced with v2. I am keeping my v1 for sure.. 

Mar 17, 2013 at 1:36 AM Post #178 of 1,656
Quote:
Thanks. I think the majority out there still has the v1 and I know jaben singapore still has it. The v1 will become very rare pretty soon as they being replaced with v2. I am keeping my v1 for sure.. 

So is the V1 packaging white, and the V2 black? I wonder how someone can tell from the box itself... I guess it'd state the impedance characteristics as well on the box. Interestingly, one of the reasons why I like the V1 is also the carry case. It's fun. I actually wrote a little bit about the SM64 here, but I think it's nothing people don't already know.

Mar 17, 2013 at 4:27 AM Post #179 of 1,656
So is the V1 packaging white, and the V2 black? I wonder how someone can tell from the box itself... I guess it'd state the impedance characteristics as well on the box. Interestingly, one of the reasons why I like the V1 is also the carry case. It's fun. I actually wrote a little bit about the SM64 here, but I think it's nothing people don't already know.

Earsonics as a company, makes good products.
I have an SM3 v1 that has its cables stiffened up thru the years.
Even though the ergos weren't that great, it still lives til today in my rig.

However, I feel that ES could have handled the SM64 situation better.
Imagine the early adopters who paid good money, only to have it sent back for several weeks to have the shell broken apart for modding.
Though a select few might prefer the brighter sound of the v1 or ES thinks that they are giving an option for customers to keep the first version, but i'm pretty sure the decision to do v2 was probably stemmed out of user feedback who weren't satisfied with the sound signature/specs.
The v1 did really make an impact when i first auditioned it briefly in the store. But a few days into it, having had longer sessions of listening, the brightness really started to feel fatiguing.
Coupled this with my experience with their customer service, it left alot to be desired compared to the days when i first remembered getting the SM3.

Mar 17, 2013 at 5:26 AM Post #180 of 1,656
Actually good on ES for doing the modding for free, other companies would probably delay the release of their V2 and after few month release their V2 and probably charge any mods for V1. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back