Earsonics sm3 V2
Jun 4, 2011 at 2:40 AM Post #316 of 1,167
Yeah I figured as much. I loved the UM3x and ended up with it over the SM3. It just blew the SM3 away other than its soundstage and the bass to my ears imo.

While I appreciate the sonic prowess of the SM3, I don't like people blindly purchasing them as their first top tier IEM and talking blindly about how great it is without comparing them to others and just reading about it. I was sold too at first until I heard it and compared it to the other top tiers.

It makes for a GREAT complementary iem if you already have another top tier though I must say. Very impressive in the genres it works with, and not so much with Rock though

Quote:

The UM3X is a fine IEM and there are, in fact, quite a few people (myself included) who prefer it over the SM3. 

Most of those who have heard both the UM3X & W4 prefer the latter (myself included), though I do know two people who prefer the UM3X over the W4, and one of them happens to be a very experienced Head-fier, who also has experience with some very good full-sized headphones.

The bottom line is that you may not by missing as much as you think you are. 

Jun 4, 2011 at 3:49 AM Post #318 of 1,167
Approximately 3.2 feet past the y-splitter; just measured it.
smile.gif

Jun 4, 2011 at 1:20 PM Post #320 of 1,167

Quote:
Yeah I figured as much. I loved the UM3x and ended up with it over the SM3. It just blew the SM3 away other than its soundstage and the bass to my ears imo.

While I appreciate the sonic prowess of the SM3, I don't like people blindly purchasing them as their first top tier IEM and talking blindly about how great it is without comparing them to others and just reading about it. I was sold too at first until I heard it and compared it to the other top tiers.

It makes for a GREAT complementary iem if you already have another top tier though I must say. Very impressive in the genres it works with, and not so much with Rock though

Hi Kali, I've read a Few instances that the Sm3 may not be great with rock. My interests are Rock Classic Rock, and the heavy Stuff, Mudvayne Pantera etc. While my next purchase of (either Um3X, or W4, 0r Sm3) will be more for classical piano and Jazz Maybe blues, I may want to consider the Sm3's for rock Also. Would be kind so to explain why you feel the Sm3's may not be the best for rock.4,3,2,1 any comments from others would be appreciated Thanks

Jun 4, 2011 at 1:38 PM Post #321 of 1,167
The SM3's have this "enveloping" sound signature and very very lush and thick sound which is what makes it addictive and great for acoustic and jazz and vocal tracks. However for Rock, I feel that it limits the notes as the instruments really have to "let out" with rock especially when it comes to heavy metal. It sorts of envelopes it with the lush sound and they don't get to rock out because of this

It's sort of a "liquid" sound and it will feel like you're hearing rock while dipped in a shallow pool of water. 

That's just how I can best describe it :)

Quote:
Hi Kali, I've read a Few instances that the Sm3 may not be great with rock. My interests are Rock Classic Rock, and the heavy Stuff, Mudvayne Pantera etc. While my next purchase of (either Um3X, or W4, 0r Sm3) will be more for classical piano and Jazz Maybe blues, I may want to consider the Sm3's for rock Also. Would be kind so to explain why you feel the Sm3's may not be the best for rock.4,3,2,1 any comments from others would be appreciated Thanks

Jun 4, 2011 at 6:00 PM Post #323 of 1,167

Quote:
From my experience, W4 has a rather anemic bass and practically no sub-bass with poor amping. However, things change when you use a good powerful amp 

Yes they certainly do! when you try to move you realize that your connected to a good powerful amp 
L3000.gif

Picture the scene - Moving as free as the wind whilst feeling the energy of the music propelling you on faster and faster V's Still and as static as the amp whilst listenning to the musical energy that you can only dream of being as dynamic as .

Health and Audio Quality (musical enjoyment) are the same thing !

Jun 4, 2011 at 6:09 PM Post #324 of 1,167

Quote:
If you know Amazon so well, why did you NOT suggest the cheaper $400 option for a brand new pair that also comes with a FULL warranty instead of making KaliKot or other Head-fiers/visitors possibly think that a $415 second-hand pair, which you are selling, might be an option?

Perhaps no suggestion would have been much more appropriate.

Just my 2 cents. I2ehan has been nothing short of professional and extremely helpful and kind with all the questions I have asked him. He even found me a good coupon discount buy on a new Sm3 V2 without even promoting the V1's he has posted

Jun 4, 2011 at 11:58 PM Post #325 of 1,167

Quote:

Quote:
The SM3's have this "enveloping" sound signature and very very lush and thick sound which is what makes it addictive and great for acoustic and jazz and vocal tracks. However for Rock, I feel that it limits the notes as the instruments really have to "let out" with rock especially when it comes to heavy metal. It sorts of envelopes it with the lush sound and they don't get to rock out because of this

It's sort of a "liquid" sound and it will feel like you're hearing rock while dipped in a shallow pool of water. 

That's just how I can best describe it :)

Kalikot, what kind of player do/did you use your SM3s? I used -or rather "tried to use"- them with Ipod Classic 6th gen and Zune 120 for a few months and the result was terrible, because the crappy Ipod EQ presets make the sound either too bassy or too thinny and Zune 120 has no EQ at all, not even presets. When I elevated to Cowon X7 which gives me total control over the sound via its perfect customizable 5 band EQ I started enjoying the SM3s. I listen to progressive rock mainly (Yes, Genesis, King Crimson, VDGG) and these groups certainly do ROCK! We agree to disagree, yes, but I advise anyone to try out SM3 to spend a few weeks with it and try to adapt to its unique 3Dish sound signature. It's only after sufficiently long time that most SM3 owners got to appreciate and fall in love with it.  

Jun 5, 2011 at 12:17 AM Post #326 of 1,167
It was during a few meets so I've tried it with a Cowon S9 and a J3 along with my iPod Video with a D10 a few times, so it was quite a good amount of auditioning imo. I wasnt that impressed too at first since I started with Metallica on it, but as I moved on to BB King, some Live acoustic tracks and some ballads and slow pop-rock, and even The Moffats (lmao) I saw the strength of the SM3s and was very impressed by their performance on those.

I know where you're getting it but I've also heard otherwise from a former SM3 owner who sold it in favor of an FX700. YMMV as usual, but there are alot of better IEMs for the various forms of rock imo :)

I wouldnt mind having an SM3 for a few days to try to adjust to its sound signature, then I might just change my opinion on it. That's if my friend lets me borrow it today :)

Jun 5, 2011 at 12:28 AM Post #327 of 1,167

Quote:
It was during a few meets so I've tried it with a Cowon S9 and a J3 along with my iPod Video with a D10 a few times, so it was quite a good amount of auditioning imo. I wasnt that impressed too at first since I started with Metallica on it, but as I moved on to BB King, some Live acoustic tracks and some ballads and slow pop-rock, and even The Moffats (lmao) I saw the strength of the SM3s and was very impressed by their performance on those.

I know where you're getting it but I've also heard otherwise from a former SM3 owner who sold it in favor of an FX700. YMMV as usual, but there are alot of better IEMs for the various forms of rock imo :)

I wouldnt mind having an SM3 for a few days to try to adjust to its sound signature, then I might just change my opinion on it. That's if my friend lets me borrow it today :)

Yeah See, thats what I feel of the 535. Excellent in classical and acoustic, classical piano is AMAZING, But Dream Theater(ish) ahhh not really. But I know I'm going to get this SM3 some day.. So many Sm3 lovers do not like them at first. I didn't like my W3's at all at first. 3 weeks later you need a 2x4 to pull me away

Jun 5, 2011 at 12:36 AM Post #328 of 1,167

Hmm on the other hand, my friend who loves Dream Theater is in love with the SE530 that I bring to meets and listens to it for at least 15 minutes every time we have one. I prefer the Shures to the SM3 when it comes to rock as well as the guitar strums and the vocal energy are really well represented there.

The other guy who sold the SM3 in favor of the FX700 has had them for 2 months and in the end told me that he didnt prefer them with rock as well. I wouldnt mind owning an SM3 though if I have extra cash or trading my Shures for it since the UM3x pretty much covers my needs already.

Glad to have this discussion with you guys. I know alot of people who love the SM3 as well, but don't just jump the gun on it if you're a newcomer to this :)

Quote:
Yeah See, thats what I feel of the 535. Excellent in classical and acoustic, classical piano is AMAZING, But Dream Theater(ish) ahhh not really. But I know I'm going to get this SM3 some day.. So many Sm3 lovers do not like them at first. I didn't like my W3's at all at first. 3 weeks later you need a 2x4 to pull me away

Jun 5, 2011 at 12:45 AM Post #329 of 1,167

Funny, Other HeadFiers Say "Jump Right in" I used to really like Dream Theater, Weather Report, Billy Cobham etc, on the 530's then the 535's but the when I purchased the W3's there was no looking back, but even still it is personal preference
Quote:
Hmm on the other hand, my friend who loves Dream Theater is in love with the SE530 that I bring to meets and listens to it for at least 15 minutes every time we have one. I prefer the Shures to the SM3 when it comes to rock as well as the guitar strums and the vocal energy are really well represented there.

The other guy who sold the SM3 in favor of the FX700 has had them for 2 months and in the end told me that he didnt prefer them with rock as well. I wouldnt mind owning an SM3 though if I have extra cash or trading my Shures for it since the UM3x pretty much covers my needs already.

Glad to have this discussion with you guys. I know alot of people who love the SM3 as well, but don't just jump the gun on it if you're a newcomer to this :)

Jun 5, 2011 at 2:21 AM Post #330 of 1,167
Personally, I loved the SM3 with rock music. If used with the right tips and with the proper fit, it was amazing how they perform that genre. I'll make Kalikot listen to the SM3 with the sensorcom bi-flanges, maybe he will change his mind. lol. The Moffatts, ftw.

I really miss the sound of the SM3, the v2 is so tempting right now. The SM3 was the first IEM that really blew me away by its sound quality and made me realize how much I was missing. But, I've moved on, and one day will come back when a clear version of the v2 comes out, preferably with red and blue indicators as the v1. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back