EarSonics SM3 or Shure SE535 - a good complement to the Westone UM3x?
Jan 4, 2012 at 5:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Kishmet

New Head-Fier
Would love to hear opinions on this as I am unable to try out these IEMs for myself (the joys of living in Australia). Currently I own a Westone UM3x RC version paired with a Cowon J3 unamped. However, being the curious me, I've started looking up at some other top-tier IEMs and was interested with the sound signatures of these two.

Personally I don't find the Westones lacking in anything, but would like something that complements its sound signature and is different. And since I have some extra cash on hand after Christmas, I'm thinking of spoiling myself with a new pair of IEM. Would either the SM3 or SE535's signature be different enough to warrant a side-grade?

Jan 4, 2012 at 9:02 AM Post #2 of 5
Personally I feel that the SM3 is like the UM3x except with a comparatively recessed treble, (and as a result) a wider soundstage, darker sound sig. The mids are awesomely lush but not as forward as the UM3x. :) Happy hunting!

Jan 4, 2012 at 9:14 AM Post #3 of 5
Hi i have all of them and find the sm3 v2 quite better than the 535 and also better than the um3x but the sony ex1000 are superior to all of them for the same amount of money.

Jan 4, 2012 at 9:30 AM Post #4 of 5
The 535 is the only one in this thread that I own and I would advise people to look at it if comfort, isolation, and mids are their primary concern.  Don't get me wrong I have enjoyed the shure, but I have never been satisfied with the lower end of the spectrum and I wouldn't mind slightly brighter treble.  After owning the 535 for almost a year, I do feel like they cost a little more than they are worth.  On a positive note, I do prefer the shure to my FX700 on about 10% of my music collection, but I probably could have found something a little less costly to accomplish this.  I am an idiot and bought them while buzzed and laid over in an airport.

Feb 6, 2013 at 12:49 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:
The 535 is the only one in this thread that I own and I would advise people to look at it if comfort, isolation, and mids are their primary concern.  Don't get me wrong I have enjoyed the shure, but I have never been satisfied with the lower end of the spectrum and I wouldn't mind slightly brighter treble.  After owning the 535 for almost a year, I do feel like they cost a little more than they are worth.  On a positive note, I do prefer the shure to my FX700 on about 10% of my music collection, but I probably could have found something a little less costly to accomplish this.  I am an idiot and bought them while buzzed and laid over in an airport.

I also own the 535 and I agree they cost more than they are worth based on sound quality alone. That being said, Sm3 is perhaps the best I own followed very closely by the W4. I am considering getting the Um3x though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back