EarSonics SM3 Appreciation, Discussion, & Review Thread - Technically Best Universal? (see first post for reviews and info)
Jul 10, 2010 at 8:22 AM Post #2,146 of 2,831

Quote:
Originally Posted by koonhua90 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

My custom tips actually fits very snugly on the nozzle. And when I turn them I hear some screeching/scratching sound. But isn't there like a layer of metal inside the nozzle? it looks like metal painted with green color. 

I think the green colour material is a thin 'paper' of filter, attached to a piece of silver-color metal. The silver-color metal doesn't extend all the way down to the housing. I guess the silver metal is about half the lenght of the nozzle. I know this because when my nozzle ripped off halfway, the tip of the nozzle, with the green filter and silver metal was left inside the custom tips.

MayaTlab, perhaps the forward midrange is bothering you?

You are here again iponderous :)

Jul 10, 2010 at 8:30 AM Post #2,148 of 2,831

Quote:

. I haven't heard the CK10 "but from what I've read", I suspect it has accentuated treble, which can create the illusion of clarity.

illusion or no illusion,the ck10 is hands down has the clearest sound i have ever heard.its really astonishing.

Jul 10, 2010 at 8:51 AM Post #2,150 of 2,831
With the right seal the treble is very sweet and musical, not harsh at all.  When I first had them and was using various tips to get things right, the wrong tips would make them too harsh.

Jul 10, 2010 at 9:20 AM Post #2,151 of 2,831

Quote:

MayaTlab, perhaps the forward midrange is bothering you?

Not at all. I was already using the SM2 before and they have the exact same sound signature (or almost equal). Also, I don't find the midrange to be forward at all, I just think it is right where it should be and as flat as Belgium could be.

It really must be something between IEMs and me.

Jul 10, 2010 at 1:46 PM Post #2,154 of 2,831
If you've followed the CK10 discussion you know that I'm just about the most unlikely person to defend these IEMs. But it has to be said, that even if you EQ down their hot treble and boost their low end (which makes them almost listenable to my ears :wink:, they still beat the SM3 hands down in clarity.

Quote:
I haven't heard the CK10 "but from what I've read", I suspect it has accentuated treble, which can create the illusion of clarity.

Quote:
ya,their treble is unlistenable but their clarity is top notch.

Jul 10, 2010 at 1:50 PM Post #2,155 of 2,831
Me and the CK10 tried to get on, really we did.  But it ended in a messy divorce and although I still think about them now and again, I never ever call them.  Not even when I'm drunk.

Jul 10, 2010 at 2:10 PM Post #2,156 of 2,831
I am wondering if my instant love for the SM3 is as much about my not having a BA in my collection and only having experienced the TF10 for a month or so 6 months ago, so I just don't have the extensive experience other people in this thread have had. I do know I did not like the TF10 recessed midrange which was part of why I sold them and the SM3 but other than that one pair of BA based IEM's all my other IEM's have been dynamic based.

Jul 10, 2010 at 2:20 PM Post #2,157 of 2,831
Or it could just be that the SM3 kicks big time anus?

Quote:
I am wondering if my instant love for the SM3 is as much about my not having a BA in my collection and only having experienced the TF10 for a month or so 6 months ago, so I just don't have the extensive experience other people in this thread have had. I do know I did not like the TF10 recessed midrange which was part of why I sold them and the SM3 but other than that one pair of BA based IEM's all my other IEM's have been dynamic based.

Jul 10, 2010 at 2:25 PM Post #2,158 of 2,831
LOL yes it could be that too :) I just think that while I had 2 high end dynamics based IEM's I have not had many BA IEM's which usually have so much more detail.

But I will say this, if the TF10 is an example of how BA's work, it was just to sterile for me which is why I have stuck to dynamic based IEM's. The SM3 on the other hand may be BA based but I certainly don't have that same sense of loss dynamically that I had with the TF10, so if the SM3 has managed to marry the two diverse general signatures of BA and Dynamic IEM's then it truly is kicking some serious buttocks.

Jul 10, 2010 at 3:43 PM Post #2,159 of 2,831
x2  That was my problem w/ BA's as well.  Sounds like the SM3 overcome this somehow.  Maybe related to the imaging and 3D effect adding body to the music?

Jul 10, 2010 at 3:53 PM Post #2,160 of 2,831
That could be it Anaxilus because these do have more imaging and 3D type effect than any other IEM I have owned or heard. The only thing they seem to not have is bite with certain music like AC/DC but even that is not much different (and the added clarity and accuracy is starting to offset any "loss" I am noticing) especially if I turn up the volume a bit which I also have to do with my MTPC as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back