EarSonics SM3 Appreciation, Discussion, & Review Thread - Technically Best Universal? (see first post for reviews and info)
Jul 3, 2010 at 4:54 PM Post #1,816 of 2,831
yeah i also wanted to know how does CK100 and SM3 compare
if someone can so me this favor and compare this two phones that would make my day
and i would really appreciate that really...
thankssss....

Jul 3, 2010 at 5:08 PM Post #1,817 of 2,831
The CK100 is a joke compared to the SM3, in my opinion. I'm going by memory here, since it's been some time since I got James444's CK100 for testing, but they were actually worse than the CK10 for my ears - and the CK10 weren't great to begin with. It takes quite some effort making a triple armature phone sounding muddy, harsh, and unrefined at once. AT sure got that one nailed.

Jul 3, 2010 at 5:49 PM Post #1,818 of 2,831
Like I said, I can still detect very faint "metallic coloring" with the SM3, but compared to my other multi-driver BAs it's negligible and doesn't detract from the music, as long as I don't specifically listen for it. The most emphasizing tracks I know are intense classical piano pieces like Rachmaninoff or such, and these sound fine enough to my ears with the SM3.

So it may well come down to how sensitive you are to this effect, but I think that the SM3 should be a reasonably safe bet.

BTW I'm using the EQ a lot, but mostly with DD IEMs, and it never occured to me that "metallic coloring" could possibly be EQed out.

Quote:
Oh man, you don't know how bad this effect bothers me! It was the sole reason I had to sell my UM3X's (I loved everything else about it) as it was always there and I couldn't even EQ it out it like I can on my current TF10s. Even then it can still be noticeable on some recordings such as Sofia - Aguas de Marco.

I'm currently considering purchasing either the SM3 or DDM's but have a feeling I will prefer the former as it's touted as being more technically competent. However, if you are saying that 'metallic colouring' (I hear it as a highly glossed shimmer) is still apparent then I suppose I'd probably have to give it a swerve. Would you say it is bothersome on a track that emphasizes this effect the most? At the very worst can it be EQ'd out without great detriment to the balance of the recording?

Jul 3, 2010 at 5:59 PM Post #1,819 of 2,831
Well, you sure didn't have your best day when you tried the CK100, or maybe used an unsynergetic source. The CK100 can be very touchy with some sources. Nevertheless I concur with you that the ATs are no match for the SM3, except IMO in treble refinement. Bass is much worse and muddy in comparison, and their timbre is way off. Build quality is light years ahead though.

Quote:
The CK100 is a joke compared to the SM3, in my opinion. I'm going by memory here, since it's been some time since I got James444's CK100 for testing, but they were actually worse than the CK10 for my ears - and the CK10 weren't great to begin with. It takes quite some effort making a triple armature phone sounding muddy, harsh, and unrefined at once. AT sure got that one nailed.

Jul 3, 2010 at 6:44 PM Post #1,820 of 2,831

Oh man, you don't know how bad this effect bothers me! It was the sole reason I had to sell my UM3X's (I loved everything else about it) as it was always there and I couldn't even EQ it out it like I can on my current TF10s. Even then it can still be noticeable on some recordings such as Sofia - Aguas de Marco.

I'm currently considering purchasing either the SM3 or DDM's but have a feeling I will prefer the former as it's touted as being more technically competent. However, if you are saying that 'metallic colouring' (I hear it as a highly glossed shimmer) is still apparent then I suppose I'd probably have to give it a swerve. Would you say it is bothersome on a track that emphasizes this effect the most? At the very worst can it be EQ'd out without great detriment to the balance of the recording?

actually,I found the um3x to have great timbre with no colouration.Maybe it lakcs the tactile feedback of strings that dynamic iems are known for,and maybe it lacks a little bit of attack but it wasn't coloured IMO.

Ck10 on the other hand is full of plastickyy mess and incredible colouration with strings.Highly artificial and metallic.
The best I heard in the treble and timbre department is jh13 hands down.It made me change the way I think about BAs in the bass/treble/timbre areas.

Jul 3, 2010 at 7:48 PM Post #1,821 of 2,831
poor CK10 getting a beating last couple of posts :frowning2:

Anyway, I was wondering about the SM3 lately. Anyone know what drivers they use..I'm just curious since these seem to be special earphones according to most who have it.

Jul 3, 2010 at 8:32 PM Post #1,822 of 2,831
@ anomalouscode:I forgot to mention, I too am very interested in your findings and your posts are not boring at all!

While I didn't notice that the CK10 treble was overly metallic sounding when A/Bing with all my other IEMs before the SM3, I did find the SM3 made me think, damn, midoo was right!  I didn't notice any metallic sound with the SM3 vs. the FX700, for example.  Actually, the FX700 sounded like it has a peak that made the treble sound unnatural and exaggerated to my ears.  Not sure if others hear it the same, but I heard it that way with more than one tip choice.

Jul 4, 2010 at 2:58 AM Post #1,824 of 2,831
So James.  Being a DD guy like yourself, do you find the SM3 to deliver adequate weight and decay to percussion and strings like Piano and Cello?

Jul 4, 2010 at 4:27 AM Post #1,825 of 2,831

Quote:
Anyone know what drivers they use..I'm just curious since these seem to be special earphones according to most who have it.

Look like Pulse/Sonion from the outside, as far as I can make out what's inside the clear shell. Doesn't look like Knowles, at least - and I don't know if any IEM manufacturer ever used another brand than those two.

Jul 4, 2010 at 5:21 AM Post #1,826 of 2,831
Quote:
Actually, the FX700 sounded like it has a peak that made the treble sound unnatural and exaggerated to my ears.  Not sure if others hear it the same, but I heard it that way with more than one tip choice.

Compared to the SM3 the FX700's treble sounds definitely more prominent, but that's also because the FX700's midrange isn't nearly as forward as the SM3's, so there's more room for treble. On the SM3 the midrange gets more attention and in comparison there's less room for treble. Don't get me wrong, it's excellent treble, detailed, smooth and very forgiving, but slightly recessed. Whether you prefer one sound signature over the other comes IMO down to musical genres and personal preference. So far I'm still undecided, the FX700 treats some rock and indie tracks too agressively, while I find the SM3's midrange a bit too much with most classical pieces I've been testing. Both have very good timbre to my ears and I cannot safely say that one sounds more natural than the other.

Quote:
So James.  Being a DD guy like yourself, do you find the SM3 to deliver adequate weight and decay to percussion and strings like Piano and Cello?

Yes, I'm mostly a DD guy, but keep in mind that the crossbreed e-Q7 are my favorite phones. When you ask about piano and cello I reckon you mean classical music? Ok, weight and decay are not my concern with the SM3, they do bass better than any other BA phone I've heard. Like dfkt wrote in his spot-on review, there are basses out there that hit heavier, but to my ears it's sufficient in quantity and quality to render percussion and strings convincingly.

My concern with classical so far is that the SM3's midrange is very rich and in-your-face. As for resolution and timbre, it's among the very best I've ever heard, but it's a bit like showing off and can get overwhelming during some passages. Today I was listening to Mahler's Resurrection Symphony and at the grande finale my ears almost shut down due to overload. Ok, I'm exaggerating, but TBO I prefer a more composed sound signature with classical. On the other hand, with some Pop, Jazz or Acoustic Folk tracks this glittery and sparkling mids can be absolutely alluring. 

Bottom line, if you are a DD guy and want to go for multi driver BA IEMs, the SM3 are the best I've heard so far. Though there's still that soundstage issue I've been posting about, that may or may not affect/bother you. I'm still trying to wrap my head around that one.

Jul 4, 2010 at 6:25 AM Post #1,827 of 2,831

Quote:

Compared to the SM3 the FX700's treble sounds definitely more prominent, but that's also because the SM3's midrange isn't nearly as forward as the SM3's, so there's more room for treble. On the SM3 the midrange gets more attention and in comparison there's less room for treble. Don't get me wrong, it's excellent treble, detailed, smooth and very forgiving, but slightly recessed. Whether you prefer one sound signature over the other comes IMO down to musical genres and personal preference. So far I'm still undecided, the FX700 treats some rock and indie tracks too agressively, while I find the SM3's midrange a bit too much with most classical pieces I've been testing. Both have very good timbre to my ears and I cannot safely say that one sounds more natural than the other.

confused_face(1).gif
 did you mean FX-700?

Jul 4, 2010 at 8:26 AM Post #1,829 of 2,831

Hmm, two of my favourite Rachmaninov pieces are Rhapsody on a theme of Paganini, var.18 and Piano Concerto #2, adagio sostenuto. I can't recall ever picking up on metallic sounding pianos on my UM3x's or TF10's to the point where it became annoying. Maybe those are the wrong pieces to illustrate point but then I woluldn't consider myself a classical connoisseur as you sound like you may be.

Vocals is where I am mostly assaulted by the metallic effect as it just sounded far too unnatural on the UM3x with too many tracks and it really started to grate after continued listening. I can to some extent EQ the sheen out of my TF10 using 16-band and targeting specific frequencies but as I mentioned it's not a defnitive fix.

I supose if you can pick up this effect on something with less overtones than a human voice then perhaps it may indeed be a safe bet as you say.
Quote:
Like I said, I can still detect very faint "metallic coloring" with the SM3, but compared to my other multi-driver BAs it's negligible and doesn't detract from the music, as long as I don't specifically listen for it. The most emphasizing tracks I know are intense classical piano pieces like Rachmaninoff or such, and these sound fine enough to my ears with the SM3.

So it may well come down to how sensitive you are to this effect, but I think that the SM3 should be a reasonably safe bet.

BTW I'm using the EQ a lot, but mostly with DD IEMs, and it never occured to me that "metallic coloring" could possibly be EQed out.

For the most part I didn't find the UM3X coloured in any way. It had smooth refined subtle treble, decay was excellent, it carried notes with conviction from just above sub bass to the furthest limits of audible treble. It was just that glossy sheen that was very apparent to me on music with heavy vocals and little percussion to mask it. It made music tough to listen to as they didn't like to be EQ'd.

Quote:
actually,I found the um3x to have great timbre with no colouration.Maybe it lakcs the tactile feedback of strings that dynamic iems are known for,and maybe it lacks a little bit of attack but it wasn't coloured IMO.

Ck10 on the other hand is full of plastickyy mess and incredible colouration with strings.Highly artificial and metallic.
The best I heard in the treble and timbre department is jh13 hands down.It made me change the way I think about BAs in the bass/treble/timbre areas.

Jul 4, 2010 at 10:58 AM Post #1,830 of 2,831
Thanks everyone, especially james, dfkt, cn11 and koonhua who have managed between them to give me an excellent idea of how the SM3's might sound to my ears.

The negatives I've picked up are that they could be too warm for me, the midrange too forward (given that I couldn't stand UM3X vocals) and the treble would almost certainly not have enough bite. I like some edge to the treble (FX700 is great for me in that respect) and I like where the vocals are placed with the FX700 - which are just present enough without intruding on my one good brain cell
biggrin.gif

As for comments about the soundstage depending on tips/ recording etc, well, I don't pay too much attention to soundstage these days, provided it isn't too narrow (UM3X again). I'm happy with the FX700 soundstage. Actually, most of the later reviews in this thread have convinced me not to buy them (apart from the silly price), but as Chris always likes me to hear something he really likes..... he's sacrificing his next week and sending them to the UK so I can have a listen!!

And that seems fair to me, because I sent him a silicone tip once, so now we're even
ksc75smile.gif

Anyway, looking forward to hearing what all the fuss is about...

Hey james... percentages again, how much warmer are they than the FX700? And are the mids forward enough that you sometimes want to scream??
eek.gif

And don't go on holiday again please. You were very much missed around here!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back