EarSonics SM3 Appreciation, Discussion, & Review Thread - Technically Best Universal? (see first post for reviews and info)
Jul 1, 2010 at 1:03 AM Post #1,726 of 2,831
@koonhua, these are just loaners from dfkt. TBO I've become very reluctant about buying more multi BA IEMs because I've had similar sound issues with every single one I've heard so far. Luckily from first listen these issues are almost non-existent with the SM3. But more about that later, I have to get to work now.

Jul 1, 2010 at 1:04 AM Post #1,727 of 2,831
Arghh I hate Canada Post!!!!! They say they are in the Postal Facility in Montreal... SINCE LAST FRIDAY!!!! No change in destination, no customs hangups, just in Montreal. I phoned and was told they were actually in transit but the agent had no idea where. I imagine they will magically show as being delivered sometime Friday IF I'M LUCKY!

Ohh btw did I mention I HATE CANADA POST!

Sigh... just want to see if these are worth all the hassle...........

And posts from James and others are DRIVING ME CRAZY!

Jul 1, 2010 at 1:15 AM Post #1,728 of 2,831

Quote:
Arghh I hate Canada Post!!!!! They say they are in the Postal Facility in Montreal... SINCE LAST FRIDAY!!!! No change in destination, no customs hangups, just in Montreal. I phoned and was told they were actually in transit but the agent had no idea where. I imagine they will magically show as being delivered sometime Friday IF I'M LUCKY!

Ohh btw did I mention I HATE CANADA POST!

Sigh... just want to see if these are worth all the hassle...........

And posts from James and others are DRIVING ME CRAZY!

I feel sorry for you. By the way, do you declare the actual value ? You know what I mean
biggrin.gif

If not, I want to know how much is custom tax.

Thanks

Jul 1, 2010 at 1:19 AM Post #1,729 of 2,831
I have no idea, sometimes customs just passes them through, other times they nail a person good. So they will be anywhere from no customs fee's to as much as $50 b ut shouldn't be more than that. BTW the vendor actually declares the value, not me and I'm sure Earsonic's will state they are worth around $400CAN or the equivalent in Euro's.

I'll post what I paid after I get them.

Jul 1, 2010 at 1:31 AM Post #1,731 of 2,831
well if I have no customs fees or taxes I will be smiling ALOT more.

Now if the darn postal service would just get them to me arghhhhhh.....

goes off into corner mumbling to himself.....

where are those MTPC's again?....

Jul 1, 2010 at 1:36 AM Post #1,732 of 2,831
$10 says that I will get my amp for the sm3 before you get your sm3 
biggrin.gif

Anyway just joking. I hope you get it soon. Till now, I have not encountered any situations where I have to pay custom yet. 

And one more thing I found out about the cable on sm3...it should be quite durable(hopefully?), but it does look flimsy. Although no microphonics and not easy to get tangled, since it's braided, it's easy to get spun up, forming loops...

Jul 1, 2010 at 2:32 AM Post #1,733 of 2,831

Quote:
I have no idea, sometimes customs just passes them through, other times they nail a person good. So they will be anywhere from no customs fee's to as much as $50 b ut shouldn't be more than that. BTW the vendor actually declares the value, not me and I'm sure Earsonic's will state they are worth around $400CAN or the equivalent in Euro's.

I'll post what I paid after I get them.

Cool. Appreciate it
beerchug.gif

Hope they don't charge you

Jul 1, 2010 at 4:29 AM Post #1,734 of 2,831
I am so tempted to buy these it isn't funny :/ I've got the figure of about $400 USD if I was to buy them. Would I be correct or wrong in thinking this? Can anyone perhaps suggest a good place to get these as an international buyer? I admit I haven't looked it up, part of my way of talking myself out of buying them but since I'm here I'll ask.

Jul 1, 2010 at 4:49 AM Post #1,736 of 2,831
James - I agree the SM3s are really very tip dependent, but as the stock silicones that now ship with them are utterly butterly perfect to my ears, I think new buyers should encounter far fewer issues than those who received the earlier version, pre-reshell. If I was one of those, I'd feel a bit cheated to be honest, and would be demanding free silicones from Earsonics at the very least, if not a free trade-in for the new reshelled model. Anyone tried asking Franck about that yet?

One point about treble with the SM3 - I agree with dfkt that the treble is the best I've ever heard.  Listening to Radiohead's 'In Rainbows' this morning and one track begins with what sounds like an almighty shattering of glass.  This sounded so realistic through my J3 (set to 'BBE MP' EQ, if anyone wants to know - the 'normal' setting is a bit rubbish) that I thought someone had thrown a milk bottle at me.

God bless Cowon and Earsonics and all who sail with them.

Jul 1, 2010 at 9:42 AM Post #1,737 of 2,831

Quote:
BTW, I feel the UM3X has been very unfavourably rated in this thread by some. I don't doubt the SM3 may be (slightly) better but I have serious doubts they're THAT much better. If the UM3X had had detachable cables a year ago, I would have most likely not gone the customs route. I honestly think that all top-tier universals should come with detachable cables. Looks like Shure and Westone are finally realising this and Earsonics should follow suit.

I am one of those who disliked the UM3X and hopes that the SM3 betters its performance. If the SM3 improves upon the UM3X's constricted presentation, then that would be significant in my view.

Jul 1, 2010 at 2:07 PM Post #1,739 of 2,831
I got my SM3's last night, going from my UM3X that I sold to buy these, so I don't have them to compare against.  Spent the day till now listening to them.  I'm happy with the included double flange silicone tips.  One concern I have (that I was wondering whether someone else can check out) is on the "Heartbeat" track from the "Open Your Ears" HDTracks CD, the lowest heartbeat at the end comes across very anemic and non-textured, as if it's bumped against the lower limit of what the SM3's can do.  Is anyone else hearing this?

Jul 1, 2010 at 3:09 PM Post #1,740 of 2,831
Do you remember the UM3X conveying that heartbeat sound more convincingly? Curious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back