EarSonics SM3 Appreciation, Discussion, & Review Thread - Technically Best Universal? (see first post for reviews and info)
Jun 14, 2010 at 7:49 PM Post #976 of 2,831
I hope you get them soon. It's definitely not fun having no information like that. In the mean time you can enjoy your FX700 :p hell I'm waiting for something in the mail at customs for the last couple days and pissing me off and there's been ton of communication on the seller's part...maybe I'm just not very patient

Jun 14, 2010 at 7:54 PM Post #977 of 2,831
^ Thanks. One gripe I have with the FX is the lack of isolation. It's summer right now, and I have an AC unit less than 3 feet away. If I want proper sound, then I have to suffer and bear with the heat. People who want good music can sometimes do extreme stuff 
biggrin.gif

Jun 14, 2010 at 8:55 PM Post #978 of 2,831
I just got my SM3's today.

At first I didn't really like the sound. I was thinking that EVERYTHING was sounding recess, if that's somehow possible. Turns out it was a fit issue. They are really short and it wasn't at first obvious how they should go into my ears. The wires should point forward right? At first I was trying to put the in with the wires point up.)

I decided against using the foam tips, and used the supplied double flanges. I ended up ripping out the silicone core of one of the foamies to use as a lengthening agent for the flanges. Works like a charm!

After listening to them for about 3 hours, I can say that you guys are right. It's almost now as if I can hear the decisions the made during mastering processes. Things pop in and out with force and power and accuracy. I think joe is right when he said that this could be the best BA phone on the market. 

Cheers!

Edit:
What's worse is the my DBA-02's arrived at the exact same time as the SM3's. Needless to say, you guys can guess which is the neglected child. 

Jun 14, 2010 at 9:11 PM Post #979 of 2,831
torptube, congrats man!

you gotta do a compare and contrast with the DBA-02's, people been dieing for that here.

plus I just wanna know cos I passed up the DBA-02's in favour of the SM3.

can we get a pic of exactly what you did with the tips?

god i hate waiting.....

Jun 14, 2010 at 9:36 PM Post #980 of 2,831

So the question is:

1-SM3 w/ custom sleeves to be swapped for universal tips when needed.

2-EM1 customs which can be upgraded later to EM3Pros or whatever better might appear for merely the difference in price.

3-Start fund for ES5's or JH3A's.

Include your reasoning.  
wink_face.gif

I will definitely like to hear opinions on your question. I am struggling between keeping MTPC, getting SM3 or the EM1 for future upgrade. No one thought about getting the EM1?

Jun 14, 2010 at 9:55 PM Post #981 of 2,831
Hmmm, I was planning to grab e-q7 then came this. 
On what scale will you place both of them from 1 to 10?
Is the SM3 very very very much better than e-q7?
if it is then I dont have a choice, do I?

Jun 14, 2010 at 9:57 PM Post #982 of 2,831
Save up for the SM3, in my opinion. I wasn't as big a fan of the EQ7 as others around here (probably because of my sensitivity to upper-mids), but it's clearly superior for all music to my ears.

Jun 14, 2010 at 10:20 PM Post #983 of 2,831
@anamalous,

I haven't spent that much time on the DBA-02. I'll try to give you a mini comparison. My initial impressions on the DBA-02 vs the SM3 is that the SM3 is just more colorful than the DBA-02. Bass is stronger when it needs to be, but can be equally as pianissimo as the DBA-02. The same goes throughout all the spectrum.

If you have the Sleek Audio SA6, you can use that as a starting point in this mini-comp.

I almost feel as it's like going from being R/G or B/Y color blind to seeing color in all 3, to however tetrachromats see the world. They technically see everything we do, but since they get one more color information channel, the subtleties are so much more pronounced. 

The Sleek Audio SA6 would be like being color blind. You can still see the shapes (the basic structure and resolution of the music) just as well as everyone else (it's not like you can't tell the difference between a bus and a truck when you're colorblind), but certain colors just don't contrast well with others, because one of your color channels are missing. So the world is less colorful. In the same vein, the music is there, but not all the little things are there. So the sonic analogy would be the certain frequencies would smear together because the frequency resolution just isn't that sharp.

The DBA-02 would be like seeing in normal color. You can see (hear) everything pretty well. Shapes and colors are how they should be. Nothing out of the ordinary. People with hearing loss would just be like people who wear glasses. They can still hear (see) well, just need a little help. Reds (bass) are there, green (mids) are normal, blues (highs) are there also. It's just normal. I can tell that the shirt your are wearing is orange, but i wouldn't be able to tell if that orange is more on the red side, or the orange side. DBA-02 are like that you hear everything just fine, but compared to the the SM3, the subtleties are not as audible.

The SM3s would be like tetrachromats. They see just like we do (a car is a car, Mariah Carey is Mariah Carey) but since they have an extra cone, they get color information in 4 channels. So to continue the visual analogy, normal people see RGB, tetrachromats see ROGB. They have an orange cone that sits almost exactly between the red cone and green cone in terms of peak frequency response. The SM3 in that regards is like a sonic tetrachromat. EVERYTHING is there, not only that but you can hear (see) in such a higher resolution that anything else that I have. I would guess that customs sound something how the SM3's sound (don't have any). The SM3 is able to properly show the small differences that get lost in other phones. You can hear the really light stress in Mariah Carey's whistle tones that just aren't there with the others.

Hopefully I didn't overload on the analogy. A much simpler version would go something like this:

The music is the same, but nothing is lost with the SM3s; whereas with the DBA-02 some sonic sacrifices are made in terms of power and resolution, mostly on either end of the audible spectrum. Less accurate and powerful bass, less accurate and powerful treble. Mids are pretty similar in terms of power, but aren't as accurate. 

The SM3's are all about accuracy. The waveform that comes out of the DAC is exactly what goes into your ears. The DBA-02's waveform would look really similar to the SM3's but be a little fuzzier.

I'll try to get pics up when I get a camera from one of my friends. This hobby is expensive, so electronic sacrifices must be made. :frowning2:

Jun 14, 2010 at 10:38 PM Post #984 of 2,831
@mrkesu

The e-q7's are mid-monsters. However, so are the SM3's. What the e-q7's would have as an advantage over the SM3's are phase coherency, although it comes at the expense of power at bass and treble ends. But the SM3's are very very coherent so I doubt any normal person could tell.

It would be something like this:

The e-q7 is a single laser that can output a pure laser beam at any frequency (I don't even know if this exists). But at the red end, the intensity of the laser goes down that there's nothing you can do about it, putting more power just causes the laser to lose focus. Same thing happens at the violet end. But if you want yellow to blue, there's nothing better. The dot will be as sharp as can be. It's just not very bright at red or violet. If you try to make it brighter (eq-ing up the sound), the dot loses focus and is not as sharp.

The SM3 would be a 3 laser system. One to cover red to yellow. One to cover yellow to blue, and one to cover blue to violet. All three lasers can output at the exact same intensity, so any color can be made at any intensity with no loss of focus. However, not all three of the lasers are perfectly aligned, so the colored dot that is made by them is slightly bleeding at the edges, but only by very little. In fact, it's so little, it's pretty much non-existent, but since nothing is perfect, you know there must be some sort of misalignment. 

Wow, I'm full of audio to visual analogies today. Weird.

Jun 14, 2010 at 10:52 PM Post #986 of 2,831

Quote:
So the question is:

1-SM3 w/ custom sleeves to be swapped for universal tips when needed.
2-EM1 customs which can be upgraded later to EM3Pros or whatever better might appear for merely the difference in price.
3-Start fund for ES5's or JH3A's.

Include your reasoning.  
wink_face.gif

1 or 2 make sense, simply because imo the EM3pro's were far better than the JH13's and I doubt a fancy device will improve on the EarSonics perfection. I had both at the same time and sold the JH's.

Jun 14, 2010 at 11:08 PM Post #987 of 2,831
WOW, cheers torptube!

Those two analogies convey your points very well. 

I've never heard an SA6, but after reading a bit,.... I have IE8's,... so i guess IE8's would be like being colour blind and blindfolded with a stocking perhaps?

Cheers once again.

Jun 14, 2010 at 11:23 PM Post #988 of 2,831
I've never heard an IE8 but from what I've read, they're bass monsters, so it might be losing your green and blue cones, so all you see are shapes and red. Some people are actually that color-blind. I think they're called monochromats.

Jun 14, 2010 at 11:32 PM Post #990 of 2,831
perfect!

i know that may sound odd, so inkeeping with your visual analogy, ... mixing with IE8's was like wear glasses that boost the blue and green light by a crazy amount. so when i was painting (mixing) i would go easy on the blue and greens and my blue and greens always came out weaker on the finished picture.

this means that painting with the glasses on, which i have to do since otherwise i would be blind, i would have to get heavy handed with the blue and green to make them come out balanced without the glasses. 

sounds like the SM3's are gonna be exactly what i was looking for 
ksc75smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back