EarSonics S-EM6 & S-EM6v2 Six driver universal IEM
Apr 25, 2014 at 12:56 PM Post #481 of 690
Compared to W4R, S-EM6 apparently have wider sound stage with better sound separation.

Yes it is felt to be much more smoother especially in vocal area, and actually no other universal IEM I have tried is comparable in this field. This nature really makes S-EM6 special for me.

With W4R I still feel some sibilant issue but S-EM6 barely have harshness in their treble. As a trade-off sparkle is lost.
Personally this is acceptable because I use IEM for very long time in noisy places - sparkle turns into harsh fairly quickly.

Those being said S-EM6 have less treble with more bass, so in general it may be "bass heavy" compared to W4R but nowhere near the reall bass head phones. Totally these can be regarded as "balanced" I think.

For the darkness issue often heared, ok these are in a way dark but not that much compared to W4R. I think the chance you can't get used to is minimal.

Here is my observation.

If we wrongly grab a glass of apple juice instead of jasmine tea which we really wanted, we will feel betrayed and say "What this is damn sweet".

Similarly many critics should have expected S-EM6 to sound like 1plus2 or something IMO, but without any bias these are not that much darker compared to other noise isolating IEMs.

Possibly I am right here.

Apr 25, 2014 at 3:02 PM Post #482 of 690
There is no bias when I say the S-EM6 is incredibly dark sounding. I have heard many dark phones, and my preference leans towards a more forgiving sound, but the S-EM6 is like listening to music through a wall. The crystal version is exactly the same too.

Apr 25, 2014 at 5:17 PM Post #483 of 690
I was rather underwelmed by my original black one and easily preferred the Shure 846 but after receiving the new cristal version I had difficulty deciding which one to sell. The mids on the Earsonics are better than the Shure. The cristal lacks sparkle but has a small bump in the lower treble so isn't that dark.

Apr 25, 2014 at 10:34 PM Post #484 of 690
  I was rather underwelmed by my original black one and easily preferred the Shure 846 but after receiving the new cristal version I had difficulty deciding which one to sell. The mids on the Earsonics are better than the Shure. The cristal lacks sparkle but has a small bump in the lower treble so isn't that dark.

Agree.

I am carrying two of them together but for me tendency is that more often I end up choosing S-EM6. It seems I can't fully enjoy music with 846.

Earsonics sound reminds me of dance floor or concert halls... more analogue is the way these sound to my ears, and also understandable for some people the approach is totally unacceptable.

By the way my music library is filled up by soul/RnB/Hiphop/dance genre. Music preference may also matter but I am not sure.

Apr 26, 2014 at 8:19 PM Post #486 of 690

Agree. I also have both and mids on S-EM6 are much better. I wanna sell one of them but it has been a very difficult task.

Apr 29, 2014 at 6:23 AM Post #487 of 690
After testing shure tips, beats audio tips, Sony tips,Weston's star tips, comply foam and the ones ear sonics has given along with the s-em6. The stock ones work the best, in terms of sound quality.I cannot agree that Westone ones increase the clarity,in fact it increased the amount of bass. I suggest people with a amp which sounds warm could find a lineout cable which sounds 'chilly'(cold sound) and bring the sound of s-em6 out.

Apr 29, 2014 at 5:38 PM Post #488 of 690
So I just got zenpunk's pair through (thanks zenpunk!
beerchug.gif
) and plugged them into the DX90, Lost in the Dream by War on Drugs.  First impressions - yeah, this is the stuff.  For a while now I've been searching for a portable rig that approached the SQ I get with my home rig.  I think I might be there. Lush, great tonality, musical, but still detailed.  Very happy so far.
atsmile.gif

Apr 29, 2014 at 5:57 PM Post #489 of 690
So I just got zenpunk's pair through (thanks zenpunk! :beerchug: ) and plugged them into the DX90, Lost in the Dream by War on Drugs.  First impressions - yeah, this is the stuff.  For a while now I've been searching for a portable rig that approached the SQ I get with my home rig.  I think I might be there. Lush, great tonality, musical, but still detailed.  Very happy so far.:atsmile:  

I've been trying to like that album for a week or so. Can't get into it.

Apr 29, 2014 at 6:00 PM Post #490 of 690
  So I just got zenpunk's pair through (thanks zenpunk!
beerchug.gif
) and plugged them into the DX90, Lost in the Dream by War on Drugs.  First impressions - yeah, this is the stuff.  For a while now I've been searching for a portable rig that approached the SQ I get with my home rig.  I think I might be there. Lush, great tonality, musical, but still detailed.  Very happy so far.
atsmile.gif

Awesome stuff! You'll grow into them more and more as you progress
beerchug.gif

Apr 30, 2014 at 8:05 AM Post #491 of 690
EarSonics just told me that now the S-EM6 are sold with another sort of eartips for those who have little ear canals. Enjoy :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back