EarSonics Onyx
Jun 20, 2022 at 4:07 PM Post #136 of 141
Alright, I’m in at that sale price after hearing so many great things about it!
You should feel guilty for stealing it!!

Jun 20, 2022 at 7:55 PM Post #138 of 141
Enjoy...ONYX has an enveloping signature. I put it in my ears this past Saturday and smiled.
I believe you've twice owned the LX, and at one time the Atlas.
From memory would you mind giving some quick comparisons to the Onyx?
The Reborn's are probably what I reach for the most, and like the Onyx is also has great bass and mids...
Thanks!

Jun 20, 2022 at 8:22 PM Post #139 of 141
I believe you've twice owned the LX, and at one time the Atlas.
From memory would you mind giving some quick comparisons to the Onyx?
The Reborn's are probably what I reach for the most, and like the Onyx is also has great bass and mids...
Thanks!
Geesh man you know my profile. LX and EVO are probably the bass kings.

Atlas was really fun, but lacked technicalities. It became more balanced with a lot of time.

LX may be lacking in quality mids, although, it's signature really checked my boxes.

ONYX bass has less decay and is snappier so the notes don't linger like the LX.

Atlas would be a distant 3rd. I enjoyed Atlas at the time, it required a ton of burn- in, but so do all three you mention.

Price wise Onyx is difficult to beat. I do enjoy the signature.

Jun 22, 2022 at 7:40 AM Post #140 of 141
Soooooo, that was really quick. I received an email this morning that my package was en route and would be delivered in 2-3 days. But 2 hours after that the package was delivered! I'm a happy person!

I know I have to burn them in, but I think I'll let them burn-in in my ears.

Some quick observations (pre-burn-in!!!):
I'm using Ibasso DX160 (NOS filter, low gain, no EQ), stock cable and RHA silicone eartips. I compare them with my Oriveti OH300 (burn-in 1000+ hours :ksc75smile:)
  • These guys are really heavy. Fit is perfect, but in the ear the weight is no issue at all. But when I have them in my hands or dangling on the cable, wow, hefty fellas.(coming from the acrylic Oriveti's, who now feel like they could fly off in a light breeze)
  • Both earpieces have some mild driverflex
  • Fit is very good, stable. The reason for this is, I think, the seal (and the venting of the IEM). When I remove the IEM, there is a (small) vacuum pressure to overcome. It really plops out of my ears. That's not something I have experienced with other IEM's. The OH300 came out way more easily, but I had to re-adjust them from time to time, to get a good seal again. But I don't think I will need to do that with these ONYX. The bass benefits of course with this kind of seal. I have experimented with different tips in the past, Spinfit, Spiral Dots, RHA, Comply, but I have never experienced this strong a plop when removing IEM's. (I think there is NO venting hole)
  • Sound impressions (after 15 min burn-in, if it's even that haha):
    • not dark at all, clear mids, airy! (Big thumbs up!!)
    • solid bass (maybe a bit boomy (pre-burn-in), low gain helps), sub bass is bigger on the OH300 (Kacey Hill - Static: although the bass is bigger overall on the ONYX, there is a really low subbass (at 18s, 21s, 25s for example) which is more prominent on the Oriveti's.
    • treble very nice, not missing at all, but somehow a bit softer than the OH300, who could be a bit offensive / not forgiving. (Freya Ridings / Live at Omeara: with the OH300 borderline unpleasant. Way better on the ONYX. It's not a soft treble, but it is simply not offensive.
    • Clean sound, background black as night (or as the Black Knight :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:). I appreciate the Oriveti's very much and I thought they were really clean also, but that's, like almost everything, relative.
    • Soundstage: maybe a little bit bigger and deeper compared to the OH300, but not by much. Nicely vocal-centered.
It will be nice to see how the burn-in changes the sound, but even now I like them already and it will only get better.
I was waiting on my first impressions, but now I can go looking for a balanced 4.4mm-2pin cable. I thought I would need a 'bright' cable, but that's not needed. I would rather go copper / copper-silver. I have a Kinera Leyding MMCX and it is also available in 2-pin, but something different is always nice ha? Any tips? (max 120euro) (And yes, I am that shallow: looks of the cable matter too :L3000:)

Jun 26, 2022 at 7:03 AM Post #141 of 141
Good first impressions. It's just my luck to miss out on that sale, although the cynical part of me (almost 100%) says their sales numbers have dropped!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back