Earsonics ES3
Feb 26, 2017 at 5:01 AM Post #196 of 324
Just made an order of ES3 and some westone STAR tips. Ill be posting my impressions after I receive the items.

Feb 26, 2017 at 1:33 PM Post #197 of 324
Can anyone advise anything close to ES3 sound signature wise but with less subbass presence?
I like everything in them but not that thing. It is almost everywhere, where needed and where not needed. 
How about ath-E70?

Feb 27, 2017 at 2:52 PM Post #198 of 324
  to ES3 users - how's the build quality of your IEMs? I'm asking because I used to have an SM3 v2 and the shell just split right into 2 just a few months of use.
blink.gif
the retailer in Singapore doesn't carry the ES3. if I purchase online and issues arise regarding build quality, I'm afraid shipping cost would quickly take its toll.
mad.gif

I always love how the SM3 sounded but quite hesitant of this build issues.

I had the same problem with my SM64's and they split in half.  Curious to see what the ES3's will look like in person.

Feb 27, 2017 at 5:16 PM Post #199 of 324
Can anyone advise anything close to ES3 sound signature wise but with less subbass presence?
I like everything in them but not that thing. It is almost everywhere, where needed and where not needed. 
How about ath-E70?

From the reviews I have read and videos I have seen the e70 is darker in flavor. Good bass presence nice midrange buthe thicker, darker, and smoother treble. Now take that as a grain of salt since I have yet you listen to them

Feb 28, 2017 at 4:09 AM Post #200 of 324
From the reviews I have read and videos I have seen the e70 is darker in flavor. Good bass presence nice midrange buthe thicker, darker, and smoother treble. Now take that as a grain of salt since I have yet you listen to them

Yes, thanks. I have read various reviews and threads. Just wondering if anybody has both IEMs to compare.

Mar 2, 2017 at 7:55 AM Post #201 of 324
Just bit the bullet!
biggrin.gif
Added the Mono-flange Silicon Tips too. I doubt that the EM3 will be arriving by CanJam SG (can't wait anymore) and was choosing either this or the UM Martian. But the Martian is much expensive plus I have a few 2 Pin cables so the EM3 is the more logical purchase 
tongue_smile.gif

looking forward to hearing these babies!
bigsmile_face.gif

Mar 2, 2017 at 9:52 AM Post #202 of 324
Just bit the bullet! :D Added the Mono-flange Silicon Tips too. I doubt that the EM3 will be arriving by CanJam SG (can't wait anymore) and was choosing either this or the UM Martian. But the Martian is much expensive plus I have a few 2 Pin cables so the EM3 is the more logical purchase :tongue_smile:

looking forward to hearing these babies! :bigsmile_face:

Plus from what i read and discussed about the Martian and es3, the writer felt like the es3 was the more balanced of the two and the one he would pick

Mar 2, 2017 at 10:58 AM Post #203 of 324
Plus from what i read and discussed about the Martian and es3, the writer felt like the es3 was the more balanced of the two and the one he would pick

Was able to audition the Martian and was very pleased when it's amped. Local retailer doesn't have the ES3 yet but I bet it'll be more expensive than online prices - this is a blind purchase for me. Will be able to compare both once my pair arrives.

Mar 3, 2017 at 1:33 AM Post #204 of 324
Got my ES3 and star tips yesterday. First impressions after several hours of use:

Stock tips are decent. I got the best fit and sound with small silicone and comply tips, the silicone being the best. With good fit the isolation and sound obviously improves significantly. Box content and the ES3 themselves (build quality wise) seem ok, but nothing spectacular. I don't quite get the premium feel with this product (quite plasticky, both ES3 and the cable). 4.0mm nozzle so the 2.0mm Westone stars are not practical to use (need lots of force to get in).

Very clear mids and just the right presence for my taste. Not recessed nor too forward sounding. No perceptible sibilance. Somewhat fatiguing sub bass (especially with higher volumes). No harsness in treble unless you use bright sounding dac/amp. Quite smooth overall sound for my tastes. Easy to drive basically from any source. Not particularly good match with Fiio X5 2nd (makes upper mids/treble sound slightly too bright and fatiguing). Impressive sound from smartphone (oneplus 3T). Relatively wide and airy soundstage, but definitely not as deep (kind of oval shaped image / compressed sphere). Very nice resolution and clear directional cues so its exceptionally easy to pinpoint the location of each instrument/sound. Sound signature really compliments low volume listening. With low volumes the sound feels very well balanced and smooth. When you increase volume the sub bass gets quickly fatiguing.

The things I like: mids and highs, smooth detailed overall sound (especially with low volumes), resolution and easy sound localization (both place and distance), easy to drive but still scales well and is somewhat source sensitive in terms of overall sound signature (enables tuning with gear), absolutely fantastic for low volume listening, fit and comfort (with right tips of course).

The things that could be improved: box content and build quality (materials, finish), soundstage could be more spherical with more depth, better bass tuning (even at medium listening levels the sub bass dominates and makes the listening experience fatiguing).

Overall I'm quite pleased with ES3. It's really good product with impressive details and clarity. Also the punch is there and for some people it might even be too much. If the bass was tuned better I would give ES3 my highest recommendation. But because the sub bass can get fatiguing I wouldn't suggest blind buy for people that are sensitive to low frequencies.

Update: I tested ES3 in live monitor settings and I must say I'm really pleased of how they perform. Especially bass and male vocals sounded really good. I couldn't mix female vocals properly but thats just me trying to work with the mixer not because of the ES3. Also drums sounded good (especially snare).

Mar 3, 2017 at 1:38 AM Post #205 of 324
But because the sub bass can get fatiguing I wouldn't suggest blind buy for people that are sensitive to low frequencies.

This is my case)) Selling my ES3 out unfortunately.

Mar 3, 2017 at 1:55 AM Post #206 of 324
  This is my case)) Selling my ES3 out unfortunately.

Let me know if you find something similar with better bass tuning.

Mar 3, 2017 at 2:33 AM Post #207 of 324

Let me know if you find something similar with better bass tuning.

I will ))
I do like ATH-LS200, this is a 2 driver BA tuned to more neutral sound but less airy and more flat. 
Planning to try ATH-E70 too.

Mar 4, 2017 at 7:48 AM Post #209 of 324

I had the same problem with my SM64's and they split in half.  Curious to see what the ES3's will look like in person.

I have had my SM64v2's repaired four times and each time after a couple weeks to months of use one of the shells has split in half. I love the sound but at this point have poured more in for repairs than the cost of a new set of IEMs. Currently they are being held together by tape while I figure out where to go next.

Mar 4, 2017 at 7:59 AM Post #210 of 324
Just delivered! After a few tracks listened, i can say that this blind purchase (my 1st) was a success!

Hey how many pairs of tips were included in the box?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back