Earphones for running
Mar 11, 2010 at 6:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Sr. Oscuro

New Head-Fier
I need a new pair of earphones for running. My budget is unlimited and I'm only searching for a good bang for the buck earphone/portable headphone. I'll use a samsung mp3 player with 192kbps mp3. My actual full-size headphones are philips hp-910 (not as good as AD700, but similar) and I'm quite happy with them, so you can get an idea of how exigent I am (not very exigent xD). I have seen two earphones that would be a good option:

-Soundmagic pl30 from focalprice, 23$ with shipping (someone bought there? are they genunine?) Focalprice.com offers Genuine Sound Magic PL30 Professional in Ear Earphones PL-30 (Black) ,discount Genuine Sound Magic PL30 Professional in Ear Earphones PL-30 (Black),Genuine Sound Magic PL30 Professional in Ear Earphones PL-30 (Black) products,lo

-Koss KSC75 Maybe I bought them on ebay, are they comfortable for running?

What do you guys think? Any other option? Maybe AKG's?

Mar 11, 2010 at 9:44 PM Post #2 of 12
I use the PX100 almost all the time when I run. They work great...have decent sound and bass quantity.

I have been thinking about picking up the KSC75 also, I only worry that they would flop around given the style.

Mar 11, 2010 at 9:50 PM Post #3 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by nonsupremous /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use the PX100 almost all the time when I run. They work great...have decent sound and bass quantity.

I have been thinking about picking up the KSC75 also, I only worry that they would flop around given the style.

I also use PX100. Use them 5 times a week running for an hour. They work great!

Mar 12, 2010 at 2:04 AM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sr. Oscuro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I need a new pair of earphones for running. My budget is unlimited and I'm only searching for a good bang for the buck earphone/portable headphone. I'll use a samsung mp3 player with 192kbps mp3. My actual full-size headphones are philips hp-910 (not as good as AD700, but similar) and I'm quite happy with them, so you can get an idea of how exigent I am (not very exigent xD). I have seen two earphones that would be a good option:

-Soundmagic pl30 from focalprice, 23$ with shipping (someone bought there? are they genunine?) Focalprice.com offers Genuine Sound Magic PL30 Professional in Ear Earphones PL-30 (Black) ,discount Genuine Sound Magic PL30 Professional in Ear Earphones PL-30 (Black),Genuine Sound Magic PL30 Professional in Ear Earphones PL-30 (Black) products,lo

-Koss KSC75 Maybe I bought them on ebay, are they comfortable for running?

Focalprice sells genuine soundmagic products and the PL30 is probably the best IEM for running under $40. I've been abusing mine for over a year. The KSC75 work too but they flop around somewhat and look silly. Not a big deal if you ask me as the fit is secure and they are light, but I prefer IEMs.

Mar 12, 2010 at 3:32 PM Post #5 of 12
How much isolation is safe for you?

If you are running on a trail, then the SoundMagics are a great choice per Joker. But they do isolate you, depending on the tip you use.

If you are on the street and need to be more aware of traffic, then they may be too isolating. I'd try some Yuin earbuds, probably the cheapest ones (I forget if they are the PK 1 or 3). I find they strike a good compromise between good SQ and letting in outside sounds. I haven't had any fit problems, as some I know do with earbuds and running, depends on the shape of your ear.

Mar 14, 2010 at 1:25 PM Post #6 of 12
Thanks for your answers
smily_headphones1.gif

-I also thought on PX100, but I don't like supraaural too much :S Are they really comfortable?
-I'll forget the ksc75. As I have understood, they fall from your head easily,Am I wrong? (my english isn't very good xD)

-ljokerl, as I can see, you've had a tone of portable headphones and IEM, and you are able to compare with a good judgement. What are the best (in your opinion) portable headphones/IEM: -under 40$ -under 60$? (only in SQ and comfort)

-RASeymour, this is a good point. I'll run on the street, but sometimes on a trial. Are the PL30 very isolating? I think they will be enough safe for me, but I'll consider it if I find a good bang for the buck non-isolating model. Haven't read many about yuin's. Are they good?

Mar 14, 2010 at 4:40 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Thanks for your answers
smily_headphones1.gif

-I also thought on PX100, but I don't like supraaural too much :S Are they really comfortable?

I don't run with mine, but I can attest to the PX100s being, in general, very comfortable to wear, even for hours on end. You'd think supraaural would get tiring on your ears quickly, but these are surprisingly comfy.

Mar 14, 2010 at 8:21 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

-ljokerl, as I can see, you've had a tone of portable headphones and IEM, and you are able to compare with a good judgement. What are the best (in your opinion) portable headphones/IEM: -under 40$ -under 60$? (only in SQ and comfort)

For exercise I would recommend the Soundmagic PL30/PL50 and the Meelectronics M6 if you can stand the isolation. There isn't too much isolation but if you run on the open road I would think twice. Earbuds like the Yuins work okay if you have ears suited for them (think stock apple earbuds). They can fall out for me while running.

If isolation is not desirable and your ears can't handle earbuds the KSC75s are still a good option. They won't fall off - just bend the earclips so that they're nice and tight. The Yuin G2A are an option too. The sound is quite different from the KSC75s and they may not have enough bass for outside use but if you're really after fidelity, they do it right.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rbui /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't run with mine, but I can attest to the PX100s being, in general, very comfortable to wear, even for hours on end. You'd think supraaural would get tiring on your ears quickly, but these are surprisingly comfy.

I agree, the PX100s are extremely comfortable - one of the most inoffensive fits out there for me. However, I don't think they are suitable for exercise as they have low clamping force.

Mar 14, 2010 at 8:36 PM Post #9 of 12
I have an old Sennheiser PMX70 Sport. Every once in a while, I rinse it under water (I do not dunk it) to clean it and remove the sweat. Though I don't hit the treadmill as much as I should, I've used it many times on the treadmill over the years, and it works and sounds great for the purpose.

The PMX70 Sport was replaced by the PMX80 Sport, and, according to Sennheiser's website, it is also "washable under running water."

I heard the new Sennheiser / Adidas PMX680 at CES 2010, and I may have to pick one up. It doesn't specifically say on the site whether or not it can be rinsed under running water. I'll see what I can find out about it. I also tried on the Sennheiser / Adidas MX680 earbuds, and the "EarFin" piece on it helps hold the earbud in your ear. Normal earbuds do not sit in my ears well without some other mechanism to hold them in, like the EarFin (or the Twist-to-Fit piece on other models). As with the PMX680, I'm not sure if these can be rinsed under running water, as the site does not specify.

In your post that begins this thread, you said your budget was "unlimited." Did you mean that, or did you mean "limited"?

Sep 28, 2010 at 7:59 AM Post #10 of 12

I used the PX 100 II a couple of times for running and did not like it at all, too uncomfortable and the sound was just unbearable to me.

Quote:
I heard the new Sennheiser / Adidas PMX680 at CES 2010, and I may have to pick one up. It doesn't specifically say on the site whether or not it can be rinsed under running water. I'll see what I can find out about it. I also tried on the Sennheiser / Adidas MX680 earbuds, and the "EarFin" piece on it helps hold the earbud in your ear. Normal earbuds do not sit in my ears well without some other mechanism to hold them in, like the EarFin (or the Twist-to-Fit piece on other models). As with the PMX680, I'm not sure if these can be rinsed under running water, as the site does not specify.

In your post that begins this thread, you said your budget was "unlimited." Did you mean that, or did you mean "limited"?

Just today I bought the PMX 680 and went for a run, they are amazing! The sound surprised me, I did not expect it to be this good, completely obliterated the PX 100 for me. Comfortwise, as Mike (Headfonia) puts it, is like wearing glasses, you know you are wearing it, but don't feel them at all. The build quality is great as well, I think it will last a lot of time and handle abuse very well. As for rinsing, yes, they can be rinsed with water, but I would not recommend using soap or any kind of cleaning product, water suffices. It also comes with a nice bag of a tough material, so protection is assured.

Sep 28, 2010 at 8:15 AM Post #11 of 12
Yep, they are nice phones. Rugged and durable, they are designed for outdoor heavy-duty activities. As light as they are, they will stay on your ears even if you jump off a cliff upside down. But the SQ isn't that great (but good), however, I can assure you that you can still hear your music even when cycling under torrential rain, unless your iPod fails...like mine did

Users who are viewing this thread

Back