Earphone advice - Hippo VB, Jays Q-Jays or Phonak Audeo PFE 012?
Jul 20, 2010 at 8:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

ElChupaNibre

New Head-Fier

Hello all,

I've been using Shure's for the past four years: E2Cs > E3Cs > currently using SE210s. I've never had a major problem with the sound quality on those earphones, mainly because I've always used EQ on all my DAPs to compensate.

However, I've recently started to use Spotify on my iPhone 3GS, and since the EQ only works with the iPod app I've decided to turn it off. With the flat EQ setting the SE210s, to my ears (I'm no audiophile), sound closed and muddy. I've tried a pair of RE0s that my brother bought last year, and the difference in clarity is amazing. I was initially going to get the RE0s myself, but instead decided to do a bit of research and find similar-sounding IEMs with a warmer, slighty bassier sound than the RE0s.

After a lot of research I think I've whittled the choices down to three IEMs - the Hippo VBs, Jays Q-Jays and the new Phonak Audeo 012 Perfect Bass. 

The Hippos VB seemed like the best option (and cheapest, too - around £50), until I read that the included tips are very poor - and apparently my preferred Shure tips (the grey soft tips) won't fit. The cable, at 130cm, also seems ridiculously long (one of my major bugbears with the E2Cs/E2Cs was the long, stiff and tangly cables) and someone here mentioned that they might uncomfortable to wear because of the tuning plates...

The Q-Jays look the best (design-wise), but are also the most expensive (at approx. £105). I've read complaints about the short (60cm) cable length, but I've got a 30cm Shure extension cable that I can use so it shouldn't be a problem, right? Again though, I've heard about problems with the included tips (not sure if the Shure tips will fit). Also, there is an issue about build quality, and that the size of the earphones might make them harder to get in and out.

Finally, the Phonak PFE 012s. £80 from Amazon, great clarity, apparently, and plenty of bass with the included bass filter. However, the shape looks a little odd - will it be comfortable to wear standard earphone-style (I hate wearing over the ear)? Also, I've read that the included filters need to be replaced every once in a while, and that the earphones are quieter than normal.

So, all three seem to have their pros and cons. I've also read about the new RE-ZEROs, which are like the RE0 but with a bit more bass and (apparently) better build quality. Would they be a better option?

To sum: I'm after a small pair of earphones that are comfortable and easy to wear, have good clarity (comparable to RE0) but with a warmer sound and slightly punchier bass (but not overbearingly so). I'd also like it to have a wide soundstage. I don't want to have to buy any accessories, so the included tips should be good or, if not, then it would be great if I could use my Shure tips. Not much then! :)

Apologies for the long post but any advice would be very much appreciated - despite doing lots of research (both with reviews and forum threads), I still can't work out which is the best option. Thanks. 
smile_phones.gif

Jul 20, 2010 at 6:50 PM Post #3 of 11
If you're considering IEMs in the PFE price range, you should look into the panasonic HJE900 instead of the VB. Don't get me wrong, the VB is a great budget basshead IEM, but it's still in the "budget" category while the hje900 is said to compete with top tier earphones.

Jul 21, 2010 at 2:04 AM Post #4 of 11

Quote:
The Q-Jays look the best (design-wise), but are also the most expensive (at approx. £105). I've read complaints about the short (60cm) cable length, but I've got a 30cm Shure extension cable that I can use so it shouldn't be a problem, right? Again though, I've heard about problems with the included tips (not sure if the Shure tips will fit). Also, there is an issue about build quality, and that the size of the earphones might make them harder to get in and out.  

Sorry, I can only comment on the q-jays since I've owned them for about an year now. They do sound quite sibilant on my Sony with the equalizer turned off, so you may want to give them a try before actually jumping in. Comments regarding your questions below:

1. The 30cm extension cable should work great with the q-jays as the original 60cm length is definitely very short. Although, the q-jays come with 2 extension cables (Straight and Angled connector) of 90cm length each, but then the combines length of 150cm becomes too long. I simply tie about 30cm of extra cable at the connector end to bring it to a more reasonable 120cm. You should note that the connector used in the extension cables are of very good quality and do not have any reliability issues. Jays use multiple pins in their connectors to ensure that even if one pin breaks, the sound channels are not affected.

2. I find the q-jays tips to be reasonably comfortable, although I have not compared them with any other tips. The earphones grip well inside the ear and I don't find them obtrusive during use. Because of their tiny housings and tips, they are great to sleep with as well. The small size is not a problem for me and I have no trouble inserting them or taking them out by gripping their body (and not the cable).

3. I'm surprised to hear that people have had issues with the build quality of the q-jays as they appear to be built really well. The cables are PVC coated and contain Kevlar and the connectors are great. All relief strains have done their job well so far and the housings appear to be quite strong. I have used them without a carry case for an year now, frequently stuffing them in the bag and my jeans pocket, but no sign of any damage so far. I would rate them very high in terms of overall build quality.

You can see the comments about the build quality at anythingbutipod as well:
http://www.anythingbutipod.com/archives/2007/10/jays-q-jays-review.php

Jul 21, 2010 at 3:32 AM Post #5 of 11
About PFE: They offer a very good fast and extended bass, but I wouldn't describe that as "plenty of bass", even with black filters. The new green filters add more bass but I didn't try them.

Regarding the fit: I think they are designed to be used over the ear, and if you do that they are very comfortable.

The supplied silicone tips are very comfortable, at least for me: they get into my ears easily and don't hurt at all even when I use them for hours.

Jul 21, 2010 at 4:53 AM Post #6 of 11
Cheers for all the replies.

Quote:
If you're considering IEMs in the PFE price range, you should look into the panasonic HJE900 instead of the VB. Don't get me wrong, the VB is a great budget basshead IEM, but it's still in the "budget" category while the hje900 is said to compete with top tier earphones.

Hmm, I was under the impression that the Hippo VBs punched above their weight and were fantastic value for the price, especially when you factor in the ability to tune the sound with the bass plates. Never heard of the HJE900s, I'll look into them - thanks.

Quote:

Sorry, I can only comment on the q-jays since I've owned them for about an year now. They do sound quite sibilant on my Sony with the equalizer turned off, so you may want to give them a try before actually jumping in. Comments regarding your questions below:

You can see the comments about the build quality at anythingbutipod as well:
http://www.anythingbutipod.com/archives/2007/10/jays-q-jays-review.php

I've read that review before, but I must not have paid attention to the comments section as some of the comments regarding the treble being too harsh, sibilant and fatiguing at times have really put me off - especially since EQing is not an option with my setup. I'd rather sacrifice the highs for a warmer, fuller sound that's more comfortable to listen to.

Quote:
About PFE: They offer a very good fast and extended bass, but I wouldn't describe that as "plenty of bass", even with black filters. The new green filters add more bass but I didn't try them.

Regarding the fit: I think they are designed to be used over the ear, and if you do that they are very comfortable.

The supplied silicone tips are very comfortable, at least for me: they get into my ears easily and don't hurt at all even when I use them for hours.

I'm not necessarily after plenty of bass, so from what I've read I think the PFEs should be fine in that respect. And of course with the green filters I have the option of even more bass.

I'd rather not wear over the ears though, I found it quite uncomfortable with the earlier Shures. That's one thing I love about the SE210s, there really easy to pop in and very comfortable to wear standard-style.

What are the PFEs like in terms of soundstage?

Jul 21, 2010 at 7:21 AM Post #7 of 11
I forgot to add: You can use your Shure tips with the PFE. As others already posted you just have to force them first to make the inner tube a bit wider. I use Shure black olives, it took me 15 seconds to adapt them.

Jul 21, 2010 at 10:53 AM Post #8 of 11
The Hippos and PFE are like night and day. I didn't try the green filter but the black filter was the opposite of the Hippos.

Personally, I think the Hippos sound very warm - actually too warm. That's what happens if you don't know your vocabulary. I did ask for a warm IEM on here but I didn't expect a dark sound but more smoothness.

However, once you get used to it (I sometimes don't) the Hippo is pretty good. I did have some major comfort issues at first. But this is what I did:
*The link is on German but I think you don't need more than the pictures*

Now they're comfortable and isolate more than any other IEM out there (-32db)!

I did get the PFE 112 shortly after and was amazed by their clarity and treble but I was hoping for just a tiny bit of the Hippo's sub-bass - which I didn't get.
I chose in favor of the Hippo VB because they were cheaper but ideally I'd like to have the bright sound of the PFE with the Hippos sub-bass.

I use the Hippopax (as I call them) for sleep and they sound very good at low volumes. I guess that has to suffice for now.

Jul 21, 2010 at 6:59 PM Post #9 of 11

Quote:

Having read this review (as well as others) I have to say they do sound good - plus, Play.com currently have them for £70. Might be a slight issue over the included tips - are they comfortable enough, and if not, then will the Shure ones fit?

So it seems like it's currently a toss between the £70 HJE900s, and the £80 PFE 012s. I'm leaning slightly towards the PFEs, because I've read the clarity is amazing and also because of the tuneability options with the three included filters.

(Incidentally, the Play.com sale also has the Q-Jays for £60... but only in Maroon Red. At that price would they be the best option, despite me being picky over the colour?)

Jul 22, 2010 at 3:02 AM Post #10 of 11
For your situation I would recommend the PFE's. I've seen lots of Q-Jays or Jays earphones in general and every single one of them developed cable issues after around a year of use. Phonak quality looks a lot better.

Jan 22, 2011 at 12:22 PM Post #11 of 11
I just took delivery of the PFE012 and they are really very comfortable in the ear (the instructions only refer to wearing over the ear btw) - the driver housing is pretty small really, so doesn't clog up your lughole! I would say the sound is very precise with lots of detail laid out clearly. Early days yet, but I'm a happy buyer so far...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back